Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toasted I agree with your list, but I'd add the silver dollar coins, like the Morgan and the Peace Dollar.

I was lucky when I started this hobby in 2014. My 1st silver was a seated dime :headbang:. In 2015 I dug a Barber quarter and a few months later a shield nickel and then a 2 cent piece. A couple days later out popped a Peace Dollar. All 5 coins came from different sites. I feel I need to get better mid-tone discipline if I ever plan on digging a trime. I do not dig many mid-tones, unless it has a solid or just a 1 number variance on the VDI.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel that any 50 cent or dollar coin is a tough dig Thus whyI said under 50 cent. Most everyone will find a Walker, Ben or Barber half though before they complete my list. I could probably count on one hand the number of tnet memberswho found a 20 cent

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never heard of some of them, let alone find any

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found a few barber quarters but that's it from your list.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found a few barber quarters but that's it from your list.

Sorry but Im a spoiled east coast guy. My area was settled as early as 1627. 1700s and 1800s sites everywhere

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got me 2 Barber Q's..... couldn't believe I found them....
My seated dime, was a total fluke. A worn thin wafer of silver, had to have been circulated for up to 75 yrs, before it was lost for another 75.
I'll never find the others....not here.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a shield nickle isn't the same as a v nickle is it? I found a 1907 v nickle this year

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found one flying eagle cent, 1 3 cent silver and two seated dimes. None of the others.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do I think is the hardest to find? All you have listed + a couple. I have 1 Barber quarter and I found a shield nickel and seated dime on the same day about 18-19 years ago. The dime is so slick it Damn near doesn't count and the nickel was so crusted/toasted you could just barely see the shield. After laying around on my desk for 3 years I lost it or threw it away, dunno. I still look and dream though.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I have them all except the impossible.
I actually believe if you live on the east coast and hunt often you can achieve some rare coins as well. But they really aren't worth anything because dug coins are mostly toast!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The elusive Seated 20 cent piece
eded55ce09187b8c0e166550b0b578c7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are all certainly VERY tough. Although I come across Barber Quarters now and then;so I would not rate them as especially hard to find. Unlike the three cent coins they ring loud!

But in my region gold coins seem to be imaginary.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Of those, the only ones I haven't found is the 3c nickel, and the 20c. You're right on the 20c ! Not sure about the east coast, but here in CA I've only ever heard of 1 being found here.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of those, the only ones I haven't found is the 3c nickel, and the 20c. You're right on the 20c ! Not sure about the east coast, but here in CA I've only ever heard of 1 being found here.

Yeah, other than the 20 cent, the 3 cent nickel is probably the hardest to find. The seated quarter aint easy either but the Barber quarter is probably the easiest yet Ive only found one

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Off of your list I have a seated dime, barber quarter, and shield nickel.....the seated dime though is the only seated I have ever dug even though I have a lot of coppers that are far older than the seated silvers. What kills me on it though is that literally the only thing I can read on the dime is the date....everything else is absolutely slick! I'd love to find one that I can see the design on. Also the shield nickel was one of the first coins I ever found after getting serious about finding old places to detect. Kind of got spoiled on that one, but I like it because nickels are some of my favorite coins to dig.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I've found all except the .20C piece. My area is loaded. I think it is only a matter of time. In my opinion, The Standing Liberty .25 is the hardest to find. I get one every few YEARS.!!! i find Washingtons & Barbers but no SLQ's. Go figure. The .3C Silver & Nickel are extremely hard as well. Only one .3C Nickel in 49 years of digging. It came up together with a Seated Quarter PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread