Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is what I think are the hardest to find.

Flying Eagle
2 cent
3 cent nickel
3 cent silver
Shield nickel
Seated half dime
Seated dime
Seated 20 cent(impossible)
Seated quarter
Barber quarter

Other than the 20 cent. Which of these three do you have the fewest or none of. For me it is the 3 cent nickel, 3 cent silver and oddly the Barber quarter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; I've found all except the .20C piece. My area is loaded. I think it is only a matter of time. In my opinion, The Standing Liberty .25 is the hardest to find. I get one every few YEARS.!!! i find Washingtons & Barbers but no SLQ's. Go figure. The .3C Silver & Nickel are extremely hard as well. Only one .3C Nickel in 49 years of digging. It came up together with a Seated Quarter PEACE:RONB

I figured someone would bring up the SLQ. Ive found five SLQs to 1 Barber quarter in two years

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured someone would bring up the SLQ. Ive found five SLQs to 1 Barber quarter in two years

That's pretty good right there. How many SLQs have dates? I have only dug two: a 1917 Variety 1 and a dateless one.

Some of those coins on the original list there don't surprise me at all. I don't think it's necessarily that they're rare, just rarely dug. The nickel 3c pieces ring in even lower than nickels and I don't know too many people besides gold seekers that dig those low of numbers. Same with the Flying Eagles and the early Indians....they ring up near pull tabs higher than a nickel so they probably get overlooked more often than we realize.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found the seated dime, quarter, and Barber quarter, but, none of the others yet. I have found a Real though.....go figure. I have found a large cent, which is pretty rare for our area, but, not a half cent yet.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's pretty good right there. How many SLQs have dates? I have only dug two: a 1917 Variety 1 and a dateless one.

Some of those coins on the original list there don't surprise me at all. I don't think it's necessarily that they're rare, just rarely dug. The nickel 3c pieces ring in even lower than nickels and I don't know too many people besides gold seekers that dig those low of numbers. Same with the Flying Eagles and the early Indians....they ring up near pull tabs higher than a nickel so they probably get overlooked more often than we realize.

Three have dates but two of them are barely visible and the later recessed date variety. One is a cherry 1920
Not only do some on the list ring low as in the case of the three cent nickel. Very few of them were minted

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Off of your list I have a seated dime, barber quarter, and shield nickel.....the seated dime though is the only seated I have ever dug even though I have a lot of coppers that are far older than the seated silvers. What kills me on it though is that literally the only thing I can read on the dime is the date....everything else is absolutely slick! I'd love to find one that I can see the design on. Also the shield nickel was one of the first coins I ever found after getting serious about finding old places to detect. Kind of got spoiled on that one, but I like it because nickels are some of my favorite coins to dig.

I got a good ear for nickels, Buffalo, V nickels. You gotta love those mid tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread