onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was listening to the news and several reported the high cost for one of these especially with FEMA involved. All those regulations Some said it could reach in the hundreds of thousands.
Now I understand the ground situations in the plains states. No basements But I was thinking When I was in Business I purchased several of those large shipping containers for under 3 k If you were to spray them with bed liner they would be 100% water proof after the price of digging the hole Aprox 2K and a gravel base and burying it below your garage slab you could have one for under 6 or 7 K So why do we need the Gov. to tell us how to build one?

Any other ideas out there?

Maybe it's because any structure under ground can not be taxed.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you have a great solution. I went to grad school at Texas Tech and we had the clear tornado and the white tornado signal on the TV throughout the spring. Then when a funnel was cited, the phone would ring telling you(on campus) to take cover, but that just meant the hallway of a building. Scared me to death...

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You wouldn't have to have an underground shelter. The town was described as a working class community means the added cost to a home could be unaffordable. Probably adding 10K to the cost. Another possibility is a fortified room. Take a bathroom for instance and build it to withstand a tornado. It would be much cheaper and probably withstand most of what nature can throw at it. I say probably because I haven't run the numbers. Having been a contractor though, an underground shelter in a new home would be expensive and unusable for the most part and might even end up over time with junk and no room for people.
In the days gone by people used their root cellar but it meant people usually had to leave their home to get to it.
Take a bathroom, install tornado strapping and lag everything to the slab and your probably looking at a couple grand or less and you still have a usable room.
We seem to have never learned the lesson of the Three Little Pigs. "I'll huff, and I'll puff, AND I"LL BLOW YOUR HOUSE DOWN!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread