Tortured myself again....70 lbs of iron hauled out

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I was out at 2 lumber camps 1 2/10 mile back in the woods and spent 5 3/4 hr. digging there. The individual items weighed 30 lbs and the wheel weighed 40 lbs...16" dia.. This wheel came from a log loader and was at the end of the boom which loaded the logs onto the cars. I found 2 of these today. My first since I started in '72. I plan on going back for the other wheel at a later date. And the bottle. The top is broke off, but is still a neat find...Griscom's Bone Marrow Liniment. The old photo shows the wheel at the end of a loader. A cable ran over the pulley wheel to pick up logs.

Attachments

• iron1.JPG
    iron1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 569
  • wheel1.JPG
    wheel1.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 585
  • bottle1.JPG
    bottle1.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 580
  • log loader.jpg
    log loader.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Very nice bottle! Man thats a lot of iron! My dad would flip if I were bringing all that in the garage! He hates me bringing bottles home none the less. Anyways Happy Hunting :)

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Yeah Gypsy, I've been terribly depressed for the last couple years since you won the rust contest. I figure if I hoard all of this rusty iron, I will be after your title. I left tons of iron in the woods today...horse shoes, axe heads, broken grab hooks, cast iron stove parts, pieces of chain and a lot of non descript iron.

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH MY Aching Back!!! I don't think that I could carry out that much Iron. Would have to be real selective as to what I carted out. Nice relics! HHHH

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Some interesting finds though. You never know what is hiding in the iron either.

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
once helped a buddy roll a giant lumbermill sawblade out. about 4 1/2 dia.i was in my 20s then and it was tough.lots of briars,some uphill and a block long swamp. took 5 people to load it into a truck when we finally got it to a road.

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Allen, I spend all summer cleaning the iron that I find in my fall to spring digs and will display them in my "museum".
Scroung, I would love to find a circular blade from a sawmill. Just this past weekend a friend told me he found one years ago from a mill that ran until 1913. Only it wasn't that large.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread