Totally true... Wild trurkey story today...!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out organizing my new wood working shop today and at about 2:00 PM I decided it was time for a beer run. Went to town with my ever faithful black lab ("Mamma dog"). Got their, filled up and made the beer run. Mamma dog got something also special!

One the way home I decided to take the "back way" home. I was driving down this OLD desolate 2.5 mile road with my black lab's head hanging out the window. All of a sudden while sitting in the front passenger seat and with her head hanging out she gets all geeked up suddenly. I look ahead and then WAY ahead. There were 3 wild turkeys running down the road in the same direction we were gong ahead upon (50-60 yds.).

One turkey ran off too the the left into the pines. The other two continued down the road. One of them was "running" on 1 leg. Not running but HOPPING on one leg. Then this bird took flight and flew about 30-40 yds. down on the open road in the same direction. I stopped my car. Put the window up near my lab and watched. This turkey had both legs but only used one. When it landed it continued to use only one leg ... hopping everywhere it went.

This is why I posted also... The crippled bird was young (last years?) with no beard yet. The other bird went EVERYWHERE this crippled bird went. I mean it followed his/her's buddy till the crippled bird hopped off the road and into the woods. I really hope it comes out ok... But the loyalty that the non injured bird showed was impressive. I personally had NEVER witnessed this behavior.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen it before in other animals here in the Texas Hill Country. Surprised me too, the first time. Pretty cool ain't it?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen it before in other animals here in the Texas Hill Country. Surprised me too, the first time. Pretty cool ain't it?

It sure was...! And when I say the other (good bird) followed it closely... I mean almost shoulder to shoulder touching at all times. It was a weird behavior to witness. One bird hopping up and down and the other seemingly trying to "help".

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it bears mentioning here that Ben Franklin wanted the Turkey as our national symbol rather than the Bald Eagle.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL @ 1320, lol.
A friend in Australia witnessed an injured bird, actually driven to suicide.
The other birds were mean and trying to hurt it more, said the poor bird just limped out on the highway, and waited for someone to run over it. Sorry for the sad story......

Guess it can go three ways, huh? They either help, prey, or mate.
I like thinking the bird friends is nice, but, I know my two birds will rip into each other sometimes, LOL. Feathers flying, I have to separate them, usually hormone (mating) season. Careful swamp folks, too, gators' are on the hunt now, as well., and elk, moose, snakes,
oh yeah, it's spring in N. Amer. LOL.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is unusual, normally in the avian world an injured bird would be driven off and/or attacked.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limitool, thanks for posting, nice story.:occasion14: I have found that Mamma Dog likes raw T-Bone so I hope you gave her one.:award_star_bronze_2 She behaves nicely when I ask her not to bark.:laughing7: She wants me to pet her though and it's hard to detect Horse shoes sometimes.:BangHead:
Have a great day:coffee2:, Marvin

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Limitool, thanks for posting, nice story.:occasion14: I have found that Mamma Dog likes raw T-Bone so I hope you gave her one.:award_star_bronze_2 She behaves nicely when I ask her not to bark.:laughing7: She wants me to pet her though and it's hard to detect Horse shoes sometimes.:BangHead:
Have a great day:coffee2:, Marvin

You win Marvin.... next time just come on up to the house and we'll have a cup of coffee or a cold beer. Then we'll head on back to look for the other 3 Golden horseshoes. Maybe we'll see that hopping turkey! You can't miss it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions