Toxic jewelry - gumball rings recalled

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Heard this in the news today and thought it might be of interest... in brief a boy in Oregon was taken to a hospital for severe illness.? He was tested and found to have gotten a high dose of lead from a ring he swallowed which was then trapped in his stomach. He did recover, fortunately, but now a number of lawsuits are in progress against various retailers.? The article states most of this jewelry is coming from India, but the radio program stated much of it is coming from China.

Here's a link:

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/90/100590.htm

Upvote 0

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Thanks for the info lab rat.

Something to think about.....Has anyone ever seen anything specific about the dangers of handling "lead" bullets, spoons, etc? I would imagine that you should be careful in making sure you clean up after handling these items...or am I just being paranoid? Any thoughts?

T. Haire

On a lighter note....If anyone is looking to get rid of their "Civil War Era lead bullets" because of the danger, they can send them my way.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have to ingest it.

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
yeah try not to mistake them for your corn chips and eat them if it bothers you enough just wash your hands after or guy buy a box of cheap laytex gloves any pharmacy should have them

Mav

kdye401

Oct 22, 2004
Riverside California
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000DI Whites MXT
Dennisp and I both work at a battery plant. You can get lead poisoning from breathing air that contains small amounts of lead, by handling lead and not washing your hands, if you smoke after handling lead. The main way of staying safe to to always wash your hands. For the most part everone is safe that practice good hygiene.
HH
Kenny

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
the white powder on lead weights and lead shot ect found in the rivers and creeks is a methylated lead salt and can according to expert research be taken into the blood stream just by touching it without gloves or protection ,toxic heavy metal pass the blood brain barrier and be stored in the brain , and toxic heavy metal poisioning symptoms can take over a month to show

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should outlaw all that cheap junk jewelry from those gum machines. I get sick of seeing all that crap and the kids whining they want it. The stuff is garbage and should be treated as such and thrown away.

OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah, they should fill those gumball machines with REAL gold and silver! At least if people want jewelry they will be thinking twice about buying junk! A friend at work buys probably $10 worth of junk jewelry every month. I keep telling her to invest in something nicer, spend less in the long run and wear something worth having.

oravikmatt

Nov 8, 2004
Dahn Tahn Pittsburgh, US of A
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-X
You are supossed to wash your hands after touching any kind of lead at all. I don't know the specifics of how it gets into your blood stream but it can get in easily through your mouth. Like if you are handling lead things and forget to wash your hands before eatting. Sometimes it may not look like there is residue on your hand but there is. Ever use a pellet gun with lead pellets? You don't see the lead residue on your fingers after handling the first few pellets but after a little while your fingers will turn dark grey from it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions