tracking down name brand of a broken plate

canes2016

Jan 19, 2016
New England
Detector(s) used
White’s VX3 and XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this piece of a dish with the two discernible initials on the bottom side of M followed by J underneath. It looks like the letter A follows the J. Are the particular sites where I might be able to trace the maker of the plate along with the age? Sorry about the picture as it should be rotated to the right to better see the lettering.

Many thanks.....Bill

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you'll find that probably reads "MADE IN JAPAN".

What's on the other side?

OP
OP
C

canes2016

Jan 19, 2016
New England
Detector(s) used
White’s VX3 and XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
broken dish

here’s the other side of dish

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 68

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here’s the other side of dish

Thanks. That doesn’t help much, but neither does it change my opinion.

From March 1891 the McKinley Tariff Act required that all goods imported to the U.S. were marked in English with the country of origin. In 1914 the act was amended, requiring the addition of the words "Made In…" plus the country of origin but this was not rigorously enforced until around 1921. Some exporters adopted the required wording before it became mandatory, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

Also, in August 1921 it was ruled that 'Nippon' was no longer an acceptable indication and that only 'Japan' could be used. There were no imports from Japan between 1941-1945, for obvious reasons, and they didn't resume until the late summer of 1947. From then, the required marking was "Occupied Japan" or "Made in Occupied Japan" until 1949, at which time it was decreed that "Occupied Japan", "Made in Occupied Japan", "Made in Japan" or just "Japan" were all acceptable. That continued until 1952 when occupation ended and the requirement switched back to "Japan" or "Made in Japan".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread