thats alot of unbroken ones...good stuff:icon_thumleft:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Close friend ....Max Bell who is an expert on Face pipes,like your green one.I beleive that one is called the "Turk",and dates to the 1850's + or -.Max has an online article if I can find it

......I found it and cant get it to paste?If you Google "Clay Face Pipe)his is the PDF a few down "Collecting Face Pipes"

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Close friend ....Max Bell who is an expert on Face pipes,like your green one.I beleive that one is called the "Turk",and dates to the 1850's + or -.Max has an online article if I can find it

......I found it and cant get it to paste?If you Google "Clay Face Pipe)his is the PDF a few down "Collecting Face Pipes"

I looked at the "Collecting Face Pipes" you suggested and it was interesting. Thanks for posting that.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, the long length of the stems of some of these.....some people say it was to keep breaking off for some reason but that makes no sense. If you smoke tobacco in one of these, and I have, it gets clogged and is VERY hard to unclog. I believe they were long because of beards, no kidding. If you have a long or bushy beard it is hard to light a smaller stemmed pipe without possibly lighting your beard on fire. Pipes are smoked and relit, relit. I'll bet a lot of them were broken trying to unclog them. Back in the 1800's it was popular to have long, even extreme beards and moustaches. The smaller ones would have had a hollow reed or such stuck in the end, and they would be much easier to clean out/unclog. IMHOP boom.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Tom.. makes good sence. I've read that most only kept the same pipe for a week Mabey two. The kaolin ones that is. There must be alot of pipes out there.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
"I've read that most only kept the same pipe for a week maybe two"
:icon_thumleft: Thanks, I've been thinkin that! I wouldn't be surprised if they did an analysis of the inside of broken stems with bowls, that signs of attempts to unclog would be seen.

TomTwoFishes.jpg

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, the long length of the stems of some of these.....some people say it was to keep breaking off for some reason but that makes no sense. If you smoke tobacco in one of these, and I have, it gets clogged and is VERY hard to unclog. I believe they were long because of beards, no kidding. If you have a long or bushy beard it is hard to light a smaller stemmed pipe without possibly lighting your beard on fire. Pipes are smoked and relit, relit. I'll bet a lot of them were broken trying to unclog them. Back in the 1800's it was popular to have long, even extreme beards and moustaches. The smaller ones would have had a hollow reed or such stuck in the end, and they would be much easier to clean out/unclog. IMHOP boom.

I read what you said about why the stems were broken off. What I was told was that the stems were broken off in small increments so you had a clean pipe stem to smoke from back in the day perhaps when they were shared with other smokers. What you said on this post makes more sense to me. Thanks - I agree with you.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Tom nice gags

BJS in Iowa

Jun 21, 2011
Iowa
Found this in the spring. I run hot and cold on whether it is man-made or natural. Took it to a show last weekend and many said they thought it was a crude hand made clay pie. There were a couple detractors, or at least skeptics, though. Have a look. No the best pictures, that's why I never posted before. I meant to take some better photos and never took the time.

It is, obviously, broken, if it is a pipe. I did find it at almost the same spot in the creek where I found the pottery shard the year before and the material looks of similar composition (clay and sand) but creek stained a different color. It is not magnetic. SE Iowa.

Attachments

• 0313121318 pipe 1small.jpg
    0313121318 pipe 1small.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 0313121318 pipe 4small.jpg
    0313121318 pipe 4small.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 0313121318 pipe 2small.jpg
    0313121318 pipe 2small.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 0313121318 pipe 3small.jpg
    0313121318 pipe 3small.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 0416112116 shard small.jpg
    0416112116 shard small.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 56

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
tomclark said:
"I've read that most only kept the same pipe for a week maybe two"
:icon_thumleft: Thanks, I've been thinkin that! I wouldn't be surprised if they did an analysis of the inside of broken stems with bowls, that signs of attempts to unclog would be seen.

Tom is that you? For some reason, I picture people as their avatar. So, until now, you were a wise old cave man!!Lol nice catch, and nice to see that you are not crow-magnum man!

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a small one but it looks right to me.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice pipes and stems GatorBoy.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
GatorBoy