Training seminars in metal detecting, prospecting, and our hobby

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of us simply repeat mistakes and take credit for years of experience...whether motorcycling, metal detecting, or any endeavor. In the world of self defense, a visit to Tactical Response training in TN or Front Sight in Nevada will cut through the BS and ensure that our practice includes effective and efficient techniques that, with lots of practice, will become habitual and automatic.

What if Karl von Mueller had sponsored training weekends with the top metal detecting/treasure hunters at that time in Segundo, CO? Not just get-togethers and competitive coin hunting, but actual seminars, half lecture/discussion and the remainder in the field. Beginner through professional levels could be available, depending on the demand. The class would simply have a minimum number of registrants for the seminar to occur. Karl didn't have the advantage of the internet to spread the message, but the thousands of readers of the National Prospector's Gazette and his wonderful TH Manuals would have been a rich mine of enthusiasts.

Google brought up a very interesting training class in Australia: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.654611027891755.1073741832.212723918747137&type=3 Garrett has a training class for security uses of their specialized equipment, but not for hobbyists. I would like to see a non-brand specific class presented by the top detectorists/THunters available, and would be willing to travel to participate in such a class here in the U.S. Enough repeating the same errors and under utilizing our expensive high tech equipment!

quote-he-makes-himself-ridiculous-who-is-for-ever-repeating-the-same-mistake-horace-372088.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything anyone needs to know is already all over the internet and books a thousand times over. If people don't know how to do something it's only because they have failed to actually try to learn.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything anyone needs to know is already all over the internet and books a thousand times over. If people don't know how to do something it's only because they have failed to actually try to learn.

Jason,

In my experience, there is a vast difference between viewing videos/reading versus the immediate improvement afforded by trained professionals in a well conceived hands-on seminar/clinic. YouTube videos are great for general ideas and techniques, but the pitfall is failing to dynamically apply the knowledge in the field given different ground, target, and litter environments.

I've detected since 1981 and often follow the same old techniques...you could accurately say I have 1 year of experience repeated for 33 years.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that if people can't read / watch how to do something and then apply that knowledge, they won't be able to apply it if you show it to them in person. They will just ask you to do everything for them while they watch.

Personally, if I saw ANYBODY referring to themselves as trained professionals in metal detecting, I would laugh my ass off.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that if people can't read / watch how to do something and then apply that knowledge, they won't be able to apply it if you show it to them in person. They will just ask you to do everything for them while they watch.

Personally, if I saw ANYBODY referring to themselves as trained professionals in metal detecting, I would laugh my ass off.

I share your sentiment. Anything I learned about detecting in general has been from YouTube and trial and error, and I like to think I do a pretty good job. Maybe I'm not always 100% efficient in my methods, but its my hobby, and I love the way I do it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a personalized experience, so a class room type seminar may not work for everybody. I do believe if I need help I can call my detector company or ask people on here and they would be happy to help.
What little time I have I would like to be MD'ing, and if I learn something by trail and error, I won't be forgetting that lesson any time soon!

The best use of your suggestion maybe would be to show new MD'ers target recovery, how to dig and refill holes. JMO

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good source for detecting info and technique is your local detecting club. A good club will have experienced veterans that can put on a clinic or seminar as needed for new members. Join one!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a waste of time to me … I know what i need to know .. As most do ….. And have done just great with what i know .

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta agree aswell I mean this,hobby really isnt rocket science, & I think.one could learn more by them selves if they really wanted to, what works for one may not for another. Also what actually makes that person.any more a Professional then anyone else out there, this is more a relaxing hobby where hey ya get to go out have fun find some cool.things lots of benefits really.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's too dynamic to learn everything in a structured environment like a classroom. You have to be able to adapt on the fly and are continuously learning new things on every site and every different soil condition you encounter. You can learn what the controls do and menu structures in a classroom but there is no one that is going to teach you to detect but yourself with mass practice and swing time.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always open to learning- will it be on a warm nudist beach?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I printed out this certificate of training from the Metal Detecting Rights page, just for fun, I show it to folks I want to hunt their yard. They all seem impressed by it, and on the inside I'm laughing cuz I know its BS.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I printed out this certificate of training from the Metal Detecting Rights page, just for fun, I show it to folks I want to hunt their yard. They all seem impressed by it, and on the inside I'm laughing cuz I know its BS.

I I can't help but laugh I can actually picture a situation like that taking place lol

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agri-wheat-winnowing.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta agree aswell I mean this,hobby really isnt rocket science, & I think.one could learn more by them selves if they really wanted to, what works for one may not for another. Also what actually makes that person.any more a Professional then anyone else out there, this is more a relaxing hobby where hey ya get to go out have fun find some cool.things lots of benefits really.
Just judging by what I have seen of people detecting, many of them could use a few pointers.....or a change of bad habits. Not that I want them to find the stuff before I do! :laughing7:. A clean target recovery is the #1 problem most newbies (and some veterans) need the most help on. Another common thing that seems to plague old and new alike is sweep speed and coil angle/height. Swinging the loop like a pendulum 8" off the ground it not going to get the job done in a consistent manner. Most go way too fast also. Sometimes others will discover a helpful feature or technique peculiar to their machine that they can pass on to you that you might not figure out for yourself, or it might take years before you do. There are any number of things you can learn everyday to improve your skills or make the task easier. If you know it all, fine, then teach others what you know to improve them and the hobby.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I agree a certain kind of class may benefit, like proper plug digging, how to sweep the coil, differences in the various coil types dd,concentric,sef ect, the thing i see being hard is like what was said I mean no 2,spots ate the same so you have to adapt to that spot, & say ur teacher is using a fbs minelabe & u want to use a say quicker deus xp there totaly different machines, I'm just saying it would be hard to teach people machines but not on the common fundamentals of detecting is all

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just judging by what I have seen of people detecting, many of them could use a few pointers.....or a change of bad habits. Not that I want them to find the stuff before I do! :laughing7:. A clean target recovery is the #1 problem most newbies (and some veterans) need the most help on. Another common thing that seems to plague old and new alike is sweep speed and coil angle/height. Swinging the loop like a pendulum 8" off the ground it not going to get the job done in a consistent manner. Most go way too fast also. Sometimes others will discover a helpful feature or technique peculiar to their machine that they can pass on to you that you might not figure out for yourself, or it might take years before you do. There are any number of things you can learn everyday to improve your skills or make the task easier. If you know it all, fine, then teach others what you know to improve them and the hobby.

But this was my point. All that info about how to swing and dig is already available! In fact, most factory detector manuals have this most basic info in them. Yet we all see these other people swinging like a golf club and tearing apart the ground and leaving trash behind. They do that because they aren't trying to learn how to be better.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But this was my point. All that info about how to swing and dig is already available! In fact, most factory detector manuals have this most basic info in them. Yet we all see these other people swinging like a golf club and tearing apart the ground and leaving trash behind. They do that because they aren't trying to learn how to be better.

Unfortunately I think some do that because they just don't care. And they are the ones that are not going to pay much less take the effort to attend a class.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a brand new guy about to get my first detector I think the most beneficial thing would maybe be to get together with someone and have them show me the ropes a little bit. As far as technique I have heard a lot of people mention, "my machine likes a faster swing", or, "my machine likes a slower swing", and with all of the variables in the machines ranging from a machine that only has one or two buttons to a machine that has eight knobs, I think other than some ethics, it would be hard to teach a class that was universal enough to be practical. One could attend the class in a nice clean area then get home where there is a ton of iron or mineralized soil and pull their hair out. Like some have mentioned when using the internet you can actually watch someone using the detector YOU have and you can be very specific as to what info you are trying to gather.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no need for metal detecting classes … That is about as far out idea as i ever heard … Why some of you think it is good i have no idea.. There is more info out there on detecting from every were .. Watch you tube go to a club… hell on you tube i learned how to repair my computer . And on you tube it showed me how to put a timing chain on a Volvo .. I never did it before and it took me about 9 hours but it got done…. Metal detecting class……:laughing9:…...:laughing9::laughing7::laughing7::laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread