Trash to Treasure ratio? Metal Detecting...

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the same. Depends on the site. I am in sone picked over areas and sometimes I am lucky to fill my pouch

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Chillimack,

In my situation it is site specific. In a play area or ball fields more treasure better ratio. In the farm fields and parks less treasure more trash. On the beach or in the water it's a coin flip depending on the search area.

Doc

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted this one iron/trash infested site for over 20 years . my goal was to dig 50 targets per visit .
most of the time there was 50 trash targets and 0 relics.
but over the years I got through the trash and recovered 2 breast plates , a colt's powder flask ,a large cent and a few 3 ringers.
because I moved the trash that masked the goods.

other sites I've dug nothing but civil war relics and related iron.
but my average is still about one keeper for ever 50 holes as the area I live in now simply isn't loaded with relics like Fredericksburg was .

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get about 1 treasure to 15 trash in the parks

OP
OP
C

chillimack

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just recently found a silver spoon at an old farmhouse, but everything else has been trash. I've started a grid approach to clear debris rather that just cherrypick. I'm sure my ratio will go way up before leveling out again. I'll have to persevere like ticindig.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you guys have the right idea clearing away the iron. I can't imagine doing it at the old farmsteads I hunt though. They burned the old houses down and there are thousands of nails everywhere, plus all the usual iron pieces from equipment. I'm having trouble "winning". :dontknow: Gary

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys have the right idea clearing away the iron. I can't imagine doing it at the old farmsteads I hunt though. They burned the old houses down and there are thousands of nails everywhere, plus all the usual iron pieces from equipment. I'm having trouble "winning". :dontknow: Gary
that's the exact reason I aimed for 50 targets and then leave until another day , the iron , trash , and modern ammo was overwhelming .
the trash was everything from can slaw to old cars.I hunted for 20 years , one day I went to dig and a new house was built on the site. so it ended there.

The site was the home of a union spy living in the Confederate held Fredericksburg Va so my hopes were high on civil war artifacts .
I'm 100% sure if it were not for the trash those relics would have been gone by the cherry pickers.

That's not to say I never cherry pick , one time I had 2 hours to hunt a site before bulldozers would strip it down to the clay . the job superintendent said I could dig until they started and I'd not be allowed on site afterwards ,I was swinging the machine like a madman with a weed eater and only dug the very best tones to start . first two targets were union plates. then a bunch of round balls. no trash to speak of . today the site is under a roller rink.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what you consider as trash or treasure. Many here think a modern penny is treasure.
I've hated pennies for the 35 years I've detected and have always thrown them in the trash pouch.

Say you've dug a handful of pennies (calling it treasure) but threw away a nice chunk of scrap copper (calling it trash.)
You found 35 pennies (half are corroded to dust) but that scrap copper piece is worth over a buck.....
What's really treasure here?

At remote fur trade sites, almost everything I dig up is treasure. Even nice rose head nails. The junk is the odd shotgun shell.
BUT....I started collecting shotgun headstamps finally a few years ago and now even that doesn't hit the trash bin.

There's a lot of examples of this. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the others have mentioned, site has everything to do with it. I mostly hunt parks and beaches, which are pretty trashy anyway. If I dug everything (which I don't anymore), I'd say 3-1 ratio on trash to treasure.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some places its high - some low
I go to a Fla. beach and i get tons of bottle caps so good to bad is low
I hit an old New england beach and my good to bad is usually high
cause a lot of the trash has been cleaned out
most of my farm fields - trash has been cleaned out
so my good to bad is high - depending what you call treasure
I will pull bits and pieces of 1600-1700 stuff that some would consider trash
but i consider relics
I usually took pics of both good and bad finds for all to see and compare over the years
check out 2012 - 2015 vids
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9z25g56LhkEv_fdD_Gglsg/videos

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread