Trash, trash and more trash

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
They had fireworks on the beach last night in Venice Florida, and approximately 10,000 people crowded on the beach to watch the show.

People started showing up 3 hours early to stake out a good place on the sand, and by the time the show started, the beach was packed from the water to the dunes.

This morning, before the sun came up, I hit the beach to see what I could find.

And what I found was trash, and trash, and more trash.

With 10,000 people you expect some trash to be left behind, but this was disgusting. Beer cans, bottles, fast food remants, busted beach chairs, and thousands of unexploded fireworks and sparklers and trash, trash, trash.

I detected through the trash for an hour, then headed toward sharkey's pier - and found even more trash. Bottles, cups, fireworks, lighters, buried and unburied beer cans, etc., etc., etc.

I don't want to sound like a grinch here, but I'm not so sure having fireworks displays on the beach is such a good idea. Especially if no one is responsible for cleaning up the aftermath.

Bill

Upvote 0

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
GuerillaBill said:
They had fireworks on the beach last night in Venice Florida, and approximately 10,000 people crowded on the beach to watch the show.

People started showing up 3 hours early to stake out a good place on the sand, and by the time the show started, the beach was packed from the water to the dunes.

This morning, before the sun came up, I hit the beach to see what I could find.

And what I found was trash, and trash, and more trash.

With 10,000 people you expect some trash to be left behind, but this was disgusting. Beer cans, bottles, fast food remants, busted beach chairs, and thousands of unexploded fireworks and sparklers and trash, trash, trash.

I detected through the trash for an hour, then headed toward sharkey's pier - and found even more trash. Bottles, cups, fireworks, lighters, buried and unburied beer cans, etc., etc., etc.

I don't want to sound like a grinch here, but I'm not so sure having fireworks displays on the beach is such a good idea. Especially if no one is responsible for cleaning up the aftermath.

Bill

It's amazing how much garbage people leave behind. Pigs.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bill, I think I'm the only one that carries a trash bag with me when I detect. I have yet to meet (in a two year period) anyone else that has something to put trash into. Pockets don't count for squat.

I have at times filled two shopping bags full of cans, plastic, paper and various other carp that the slobs left behind.

Folks may laugh when they see me, but I, at times think the only trash that is picked up by others is picked up for the sole purpose of displaying on Treasure net. How come we never see the cans, bottles, plastic, Etc. displayed on TNET.com?

Rant over.
If I have stepped on any toes, so be it.

Prove me wrong, please.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I agree. I used to carry a trash bag attached to my belt when I hunted on land and I picked up as I went but I can't do that in the water. Although I still pick up garbage I find in the water and shove it in my pockets. I even tried to attach an "orange" bag to my belt for the water but that kept getting tangled up so I don't do that anymore. The two things that really get me going are all the trash that is next to a trash can. It is that hard to throw it IN the can? And second the dirty diapers that people leave. We have no pride in our parks, beaches, roads etc. We are a dirty nation and each year we seem to be getting worse.

OP
OP
GuerillaBill

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
For about 6 months, I picked up trash when I found it on the beach. But it seemed like a never-ending uphill battle.

Then I started thinking about the kinds of people who leave behind trash, and then possible problems with contagious diseases related to handling bottles, cans, food wrappers, etc., so I stopped picking up that kind of trash.

Still, I do make a point of removing items that could injure beach goers - like fishing lures, hooks, metal tent poles, needles and pins, - but I no longer collect and dispose of the general trash people leave behind.

I don't feel good about leaving the trash on the beach, but after seeing the kind of people who leave the trash there in the first place, I don't want to touch it - unless I'm wearing rubber gloves and getting paid $30 an hour.

Bill

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You left out of the long list of garbage the used diapers, inside up. Oh, and another favorite the "garbage" who threw salsa out of the jar all over, I guess it was out of their intelligence to leave it in the jar if they didn't want it.

I couldn't believe all the new towels and other items, still with price tags. (and I thought the economy was messed up :icon_scratch:)

I saw two guys with garbage bags in a 5 foot square area they had filled both bags and barely touched what was there.

My favorite today, not one gold item. I guess they had pawned the jewelry to buy the towels and other garbage to leave at Clearwater Beach.

My top find of the day, after all of us return from the beach to find a $20 parking ticket sticking on the window of my car. Each person put the same exact amount of money in for their space. Magically mine had expired while everybody else's still showed they had 30 minutes. Yes, there is a way of disputing it, but who the h.. has the time. I guess it's $20 thrown in the garbage. I just won't spend on hotels down there anymore or gasoline. If I had been in error then I would say it was my stupidity for not checking the time, but to return 30 minutes before the time ran out to find that, with a time stamp of only 1 minute before I got there really makes me wonder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread