trashy areas

RiograndeRon

Greenie
Jun 9, 2007
Northern New Mexico and Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Went out for the first hunt ever with my new detector. I found about $3.50 in clad but alot of foil and poptops too.The area i am hunting is a gravel parking lot that is just huge,withg alot of trash thrown in. I have found two gold rings by sight which is what led me to get a M.D. I have a Vaquero could anybody advise me on hunting trashy areas where i know there is gold jewelry Settings,different coils,techniques? I am pretty sure i need a pinpointer eventually to make things easier some of the gravel is packed and hell to dig. This hobby is pretty fun and a nice way to get outdoors i think i am going to like it. Good Luck Ron

Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Well, all I can say is dig it all. If you want to forget the gold then turn up the disc and cherry pick the coins first. Gold and nickels are in the same range as pulltabs and foil crap so you get the good with the bad!!!! Sometimes I can tell junk by the audio being raspy or it'll crackle whereas a good target will usually always sound nice. Keep diggin"
Good luck
Greg

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
How about this question. Why do people throw their trash on the ground in the first place? Do they litter their own property up like this??

I hate to agree but to find nickels and gold you will have to dig a lot of pull tabs and junk to get those items.

OP
OP
R

RiograndeRon

Greenie
Jun 9, 2007
Northern New Mexico and Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
That is a good question. The other day in a drive thru i saw someone throw their reciept out the window while still in line,then pulled over to a spot in the lot and threw 3 more pieces of trash from his meal out the window. I felt like wringing his neck. Oh well some people just dont get it,I guess I will just keep digging everything and do my part to clean up this planet. Good Luck Everybody. Ron

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others have said, to get the gold rings you need to dig the pull tabs and foil. To make it easier and save time, get a sniper coil which can get maybe only one target under it at a time. Be sure to pick up any metal trash you retrieve so you don't have to pinpoint it again.

Good Luck.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
If you have a good dedicated gold machine you can eliminate common iron, and with time you can tell size. Gold machines are much more sensitive to gold and the auditable response is a smooth and solid.

In my quest for gold I post most of my trash, along with my keepers. Take a look at my pervious post by going to my profile, you’ll see the trash I dig, and the gold too.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Thought I’d add this.

It’s hard to hunt for gold in parking lots that are littered with bottle caps, foil, pull tabs and the likes. The best time to hunt unpaved parking lots that are littered with bottle cap and the likes is just before they are going to be paved over. When the construction crews scrape the first 3 to 6 inches of soil off, that’s the time to hit them.

Typical trash you can except to dig looking for gold is pictured below. You can go this link to view the thread that the photo came from, in the photo, the Gold ring is on the far left:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,68674.msg500637.html#msg500637

index.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread