Traveling with your detector

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
there are tons of threads regarding this exact topic. People will say either carry it on, or check it... i've said (and done) both. Either way, disassemble the detector and pack it securely.

If it is going into the checked baggage, its a good idea to wrap it in bubble wrap, something soft, or even a hard case of its own. Throw the book, or a copy of it, right on top so if they do search your luggage, they know what it is, and don't have to puzzle things out.

If its going on the plane with you... disassmble it, and make sure it is secure. also bring a copy of the manual (just in case the airport security guards can't figure it out), and make sure you have batteries in case they want you to turn it on. A member here has posted that he usually points to the big metal detectors and says something like "this is just like yours, only portable"

Just make sure it's packed well and doesn't get banged around

steve

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Pack the shaft and of course your digger. I would hand carry the detector as I would not want it stolen. I did this with no problems.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be careful packing it in your luggage, items are stolen every day from luggage. I would hand carry the detector if it was mine like cntrydncr1 says, that or ship it ahead of time via UPS.

My detector is like my pistol, they can have it when they pry my cold dead hand from it.

OP
OP
Tabfry

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks fellas. I knew that I had seen some posts a while ago. I'm not (yet) a charter memeber and couldn't run a search. I appreciate the info.

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
I have gone to Dayton a few times with my detector packed in my suitcase Never had any promblems I also carry all of my radio gear, Iam a ham radio operator. My friend had a nail clipper in his bag and they made him take it out they had a bigger heart attack over that than the radio gear we had

OP
OP
Tabfry

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the info. Snohomish area, huh? Nice little town. Have you done much MD'ing there? Any luck?

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
Tabfry said:
Thanks for the info. Snohomish area, huh? Nice little town. Have you done much MD'ing there? Any luck?

I hunt up at the Snohomish high school now and then and I have hunted around monroe and Sultan I think I found a ring in Sultan or a locket, but can't remember. I have a friend and his wife that do a lot of hunting in that area he found a 1899 indian head pennie at a elementery school

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from vacation with my DFX. I put it in a White's hard case and checked it. No problems at all. I talked to a friend who works for TSA about carry on and her response was.

Might be ok but because of the battery it could get extra scrutiny at the checkpoint. They were also leery about the fact that when the rods are put together it could potentially be used as a club.

As extra security I bought a couple of baggage straps for the case as well.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"They were also leery about the fact that when the rods are put together it could potentially be used as a club."

The truly clever can make a club out of just about anything ;)

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
so true artemis... a purse, belt, rolled up shirt, pen, keys (the list is endless) can all be used as weapons...

sometimes, i truly wonder about airport security and who makes up these assanine rules

steve

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's getting to the point where we are going to have to travel barefoot and in hospital gowns.

Every time I travel, I get extra special attention at the security check point. I've missed flights because of this. I was told that my last name is on a "watch list". The ticket agent gave me a phone number to call and told me not to bother because it wouldn't really help, so I just allow myself an extra hour and try to cope.

It's hard for me to believe that the TSA agents don't have people completely freaking out on them on a daily basis.

In December, I made the mistake of flying with wrapped Christmas gifts. It was right after the ban on liquids thing. Well, one of the gifts was a collectible silver snow globe. The agent told me that I couldn't fly with it, then she took it and threw it in a garbage can (Where I'm sure she had every intention of retrieving it later) when I told her that I didn't have time to mail it to myself. Luckily, I was able to call the friend who had dropped my off at the airport and she was able to pick it up for me after it was fished out of the trash! Freakin' awsome. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions