Treasure Coast Fossils

Cappy Z

Jun 29, 2012
Atlantis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these while MDing on the beach near Sebastian Inlet Florida. Honestly haven't been able toID them to my satisfaction.
fos02.jpg fos001.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It's typically difficult to ID corals without microscope work. These images are neither well-enough focused nor close-up enough to tell us. Based on locale, the coral head may be Siderastrea dalli, a Pliocene coral.

I am not sure what the ropey object is . . . a fire coral, maybe?

OP
OP
Cappy Z

Cappy Z

Jun 29, 2012
Atlantis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's typically difficult to ID corals without microscope work. These images are neither well-enough focused nor close-up enough to tell us. Based on locale, the coral head may be Siderastrea dalli, a Pliocene coral.

I am not sure what the ropey object is . . . a fire coral, maybe?

Thank you Harry. I appreciate and value your opinion.

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely coral and they look old. Keepers I would think Cappy! I have a couple, somewhere in my stash of shells, that i found on dry land inland down in Broward County years ago. Inland as in west Coral Springs before they built on it.

badkittystt

Greenie
Jul 19, 2012
St. Thomas
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would look more into the one on the right as fire coral isn't actually coral, it's an organism that covers other things (like other corals or trash). I would also look into local laws for taking the coral. Here it is illegal to take anything living out of the ocean, like shells or coral. It is beautiful though and if legal can be really cool in decorating.

badkittystt

Greenie
Jul 19, 2012
St. Thomas
Primary Interest:
The one on the right may be some sort of branching coral, definitely not staghorn but maybe a finger or pillar. Not a great picture though and it looks like it's not a solid coral piece. And Kitty is usually a girl's name, not a he ;)

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are pretty dead Badkitty. I think here in Florida we have laws against taking live coral but that stuff is bleached white from the sun, so they've been around for a while. Just my observation.

badkittystt

Greenie
Jul 19, 2012
St. Thomas
Primary Interest:
Definitely good to know, down here it's living or dead. Then again it doesn't take long for a living coral to be dead... I think it's really interesting to find coral in different places. There are a few beaches where I've found really big pieces of brain coral more than 200 feet up into the bush. Makes you wonder whether it was a hurricane or if the coast has really changed that much. Coral was also used a lot in building in the past few hundred years so a lot of it could have been moved to be used or fallen off of ruins.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha.. oops I didn't see that until after I posted. this is the internet though. you never know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread