Treasure Coast leases

Dale1122

Apr 17, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark
I'm considering diving offshore with a MD in areas well away from the current leases which are held by the Fishers. I'm talking about the inshore bar area , water depths of 60-70',but I want to make sure there are no other leases out there that I am not aware of. Is anyone aware of where i can get this information so I don't accidentally violate someones lease?

Please note I don't have any specific areas in mind, just random MDing while I am also spear fishing.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your looking inside of three miles you need a state permit to do any search, survey, or recovery work.

Land-Sea

Jan 27, 2006
High Desert of California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Information on survey permits would be helpful. Like where to go, what you need to bring. Or a number so we could call if anyone has it handy. In mentioning the leases of the Fisher's brings to mind a potential problem for myself. Where do I go to check to see that I am not on anyone elses claims / leases. I would hate to be out there looking and have a problem with tresspassing.

OP
OP
D

Dale1122

Apr 17, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark
info on the Fisher's leases can be found here

http://www.imacdigest.com/2001rep/003.html

pages 61-71 has good site descriptions.

I'm concerned with any other leases that may be out there. I would probably be more then 3 miles out and mainly spearfishing or lobstering in season, but might as well take the MD with me and see if if I can get some beer cans.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I find it difficult to envision you with a speargun in one hand and a metal detector in the other. How do you load your gun?

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go:
http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/archaeology/underwater/faq.cfm#2

Like it alludes to, they don't just hand you one and wish you well. It is a time consuming and costly process, and it helps to have a marine archaeologist do it for you. The last thing you want to do is get busted not having one because you'll likely never get one. It pays to play by their rules, its their game and their court.

OP
OP
D

Dale1122

Apr 17, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark
salvor 6 said:
I find it difficult to envision you with a speargun in one hand and a metal detector in the other. How do you load your gun?

LOL, I won't actually swim around with both but the mental picture makes me laugh. In the past I have used a velcro strap to the anchor chain to hold items when not being used.

OP
OP
D

Dale1122

Apr 17, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark
Thanks for the link NC Brad, lots of good info there. Clearly you would need a contract to even look for wrecksites in state submerged lands.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Assuming your looking for archeological sites… then a permit is needed. But if you’re just looking for modern junk, I don’t see where you need a permit to have a metal detector in the water as long as you’re not in an archeological site.

Otherwise, everyone who goes seaside of the high water mark during low tide on a beach with a metal detector is in violation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions