🥇 BANNER Treasure coins...cut spanish silver, and 1659 marevedi in the same hole !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh brother....got down to a well known treasure beach. I knew they were in the middle of a beach renourishment that will seal this spot under rock, brick, and concrete. There was a slim chance that between back hoes and excavators that I might be able to sneak in and get a coin or 2 before this spot is done for good !! Well it was worth it and I got a 1659 marevedi and a cut spanish silver in the same hole...within 4 inches of each other !! What a thrill !! 20210215_193300.jpg
20210215_193056.jpg
20210215_193107.jpg
20210215_193137.jpg
20210215_193203.jpg 20210215_193206.jpg
Both coins are uncleaned and as dug.....you can see that they were free of saltwater for the most part, as they are not to corroded. The marevedi is killer with all sorts of counter stamps and markings ive yet to decipher. Ill have to start researching to understand what im seeing. I guess there is a slight chance that this coin is a 1559...?? Not quite sure yet. Not sure how these coins were made but almost looks hammered. 20210215_193231.jpg 20210215_193217.jpg
The cut silver does not show much right now but I can see some details struggling to come out. The faint print of a cross is there under a sulfide crust. Distinct cut marks on 2 sides....still wondering what denomination it is....not sure if ill ever know. What a thrill...getting right up in there during the dig and snatching some coins out !! 20210215_142334.jpg 20210215_142344.jpg
Big shout out to islamoradamark.....thanks for sharing the excitement with me and digging with me !! Wooo hoooo !! Treasure coins !! A little bitter sweet knowing that many other coins were dug and loaded into dump trucks and hauled away....at least I saved a couple of them....got a nice Concho or rosette also....got to take a pic !! Thanks for looking and happy hunting folks !! Woooo hoooo !!

20210215_211546.jpg 20210215_211550.jpg
20210215_211557.jpg
Rosette, Concho, not sure ??
20210216_081539.jpg 6.6 on the cobb !!

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome, Bart! I do hope you find some treasure. Just don't tell us about it until the end of August. Then, we can vote banner again. :laughing9:

:headbang::occasion14:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well in 1986 some workers building a sea wall found some 1733 cobbs at a large private estate. It took me many years to track down someone who was there and verify this story. Never quite new the exact location but did know the general area. A couple years ago I met the caretaker for this property and he confirmed that he witnessed the finds, and that they were made from guys who worked for him. I did a quick land search here once with no luck. Last summer on some clear days I searched the hard pan bottom in the ocean just offshore of this property. Again no luck !! Well the caretaker just came to me and said they were building a new sea wall, and are digging the sand out all the way to cap rock. The same scenario that just happened at this spot !! This is another fantastic opportunity for me to recover spanish treasure. From all the research I'm starting to believe that this new spot is a landing spot for at least 1 raft of survivors from the san Jose. This will be my next mission, and im hoping that this is another survivors camp. Instead of hauling off the extra sand that was dug like this last spot, they are spreading the overburden on the property. They are 1/3 done and some sand is still in big piles. Im getting some dental work today but I'm hopeing I can get out there as soon as possible !! Another once in a lifetime opportunity !!

That moved overburden is sure worth searching.

I had a long detected site a sidewalk was being put in. They dug down a foot or two to create a grade and build a base.
In the trench I scored an old silver that had been beyond my detectors reach prior , and thought that was pretty neat.
But...The soil removed from the "trenching" if that's the right term , was in piles here and there early on.
Detecting those piles was an eye opener.
Most of the coins recovered were not old enough to have been deep enough to escape my depth range before they were moved. But thier positions certainly had changed.
And of course they were shuffled from all the debris and other signals they had been bedded with previously.
It left me looking harder at any disturbed areas after. Even though I knew before that folks catch relics in construction areas due to the disturbance...

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there i was in the dentist chair this morning for major implant surgery. As im having holes drilled in my head there was some major vibration from the phone in my pocket.....well who could this be....it was the head boss of the fill company that hauled the sand off. Well what does he want ?? Wow...he wants to buy a coin....I respond....yes I have a coin i could sell you, but why don't we find the sand and all of us go and recover the rest of the treasure !! His response to me was "im on it" so....here we go !! Might just get that chance RC. Odds just went way up for finding this sand....woooo hoooo I hope he doesn't cut me out !! Im hopeful we can strike a deal and recover the rest of the booty !!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well there i was in the dentist chair this morning for major implant surgery. As im having holes drilled in my head there was some major vibration from the phone in my pocket.....well who could this be....it was the head boss of the fill company that hauled the sand off. Well what does he want ?? Wow...he wants to buy a coin....I respond....yes I have a coin i could sell you, but why don't we find the sand and all of us go and recover the rest of the treasure !! His response to me was "im on it" so....here we go !! Might just get that chance RC. Odds just went way up for finding this sand....woooo hoooo I hope he doesn't cut me out !! Im hopeful we can strike a deal and recover the rest of the booty !!

Been a couple years with my implant. It's not perfect where bone should be near the business end , but it's been hangin in there.
Recovery was prompt.

Reads like some potential fun , and recoveries , chasin that sand....

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chasing dreams, chasing sand, chasing treasure !! Woooo hoooo !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least I got a couple days to hunt while I recover.....going to the permission property first, unless my guy has an adress for the sand.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck, sounds like this might get even more interesting. Think sieve!

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir deesherman....they dug the beach down to caprock and sealed it under bricks, and nylon mesh all filled in with rip rap boulders View attachment 1904360 got a handful of goodies in the sand they dug !! View attachment 1904362 still cleaning them up !!

What about searching the water to the right there have you done that already with any luck Nice coins by the way

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many searches in the shallow water there....I have had some success in the water but the good coin finds always came from the dunes where a salvors camp was !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1909100
View attachment 1909101 View attachment 1909102
Jeweler called and my pillar dollar should be done today or tomorrow !! Wow what a nice quick turn around !! May take the other partial dated 4 reale down and get it done also !! Boy oh boy....that pillar dollar is a true one of a kind treasure coin....haven't seen another 33 fleet 33 pillar mounted and for sale....ever...yet !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll wait Florida son.....when I have it in hand ill post the pics. I guess thats tomorrow now.....no call today !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210313_214004.jpg 20210313_115638.jpg 20210314_082810.jpg 20210314_082827.jpg

So happy now. I've realized a dream I've had for along time now. To mount a treasure coin i found, in a bezel made from gold rings found here in the keys, on a chain I found snorkeling, and to pay for the labor with more treasure rings found in the keys !! 0 dollars paid out for this incredible one of a kind 1733 fleet treasure coin !! So happy to realize this dream !! 20210217_211433.jpg 20210217_211421.jpg
20210220_091733.jpg
20210313_214004.jpg
What a transformation.....and to think that in roughly a month this thing went from languishing in the sands of time to a full blown historic treasure coin piece hanging around my neck. She needs to get worn and retoned.....she's a bit to clean right now but should get nicer and nicer with some aging and toning !! Wooo hoooo !! Now let's get this water warmer and clearer and find some more !! Hell ya....spanish treasure !!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowzer that is huge. Wear it big and proud, but be careful not to hurt your back from the sheer weight of it.Gorgeous!

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations I think looks really nice hope you find more

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see a pic of it around the neck of the pirate who found it......wooooohoooo:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get some pirate sweat on it, you did an awesome job of getting dug, cleaned, and getting it mounted. Serious piece of bling now Bart-congrats!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread