Treasure HUnter attacked on SoCal beach

ewtaylor

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in the Navy, I went over to the big beach in Honolulu. I saw an altercation between 2 detectorists. One was a local, the other a tourist. The local was pissed because this tourist was jumping his claim. From my understanding the locals there were very territorial and many were actually homeless. I guess they survived off what they found.
The man in that video was obviously some kind of homeless person and sadly most have some type of mental illness.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I've stated before, if guns are a great way to defend yourself, why are so many police officers shot and killed every year? Because you don't have the time to draw your weapon if someone attacks you out of the blue. You can't go around with your hand on your gun 24/7. And most attacks are from behind. No time to draw your weapon in those situations. You're either knocked out cold or the attacker is choking you out.

Sorry, but carrying a gun on your hip 24/7 isn't going to protect you from anyone. That's just the way it is...

"Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]"

https://www.gunowners.org/sk0802htm.htm

"Sheriffs across the country have been calling their citizens “the first line of defense” against crime — a call to arms that some say is a new phenomenon following terrorist attacks at home and abroad.

A sheriff in Wisconsin wants “as many law-abiding citizens to arm themselves in this country as we can get.” One in New York state told people who are licensed to carry a gun to “please do so.” In Florida, one sheriff said: “I can tell you the probability of needing a firearm is remote, but it’s more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone.”
The proclamations come after suicide bombers and gunmen terrorized Paris, a gunman opened fire at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs and two attackers – since linked to Islamic extremism – gunned down a crowd at a social services center in San Bernardino, Calif."

[Sheriff urges licensed gun owners to arm themselves after San Bernardino shooting

Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey addressed citizens from Florida last month to ask them for help.
Play Video 6:52
“If a terrorist attack or active-shooter scenario can happen in California, Texas, South Carolina or Paris, it can happen right here in our own backyard,” he said in a video titled “Enough is Enough.” “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. If you’re a person who is legally licensed to carry a firearm, now is the time, more than ever, to realize that you – and you alone – may very well be the first line of defense for you, your family and others around you in a terrorist or active shooter-based scenario.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/01/18/u-s-sheriffs-call-to-arms-urge-citizens-to-help-protect/?utm_term=.7c4b64e0fb3f

Last edited:

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 3900/D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK Im jealous. Its easier to catch Ebola in California than get a CCW

You live in the wrong county. I live in Kern and, while the Sheriff doesn't just give them away to anybody, if you have good cause you can get one.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You live in the wrong county. I live in Kern and, while the Sheriff doesn't just give them away to anybody, if you have good cause you can get one.

"Good Cause" is such BS. Glad I live in a shall issue state where I don't need to prove to anyone that I am worthy enough to exercise my rights.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need somebody else's permission I guess it really isn't a right after all. I won't ask for permission to practice my rights. I don't ask permission to use my Bible or my typewriter, and I'm not asking for permission to defend myself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.5 million times year seems awfully high... just saying.

Gun and self-defense statistics that might surprise you -- and the NRA - LA Times

The gun lobby trots out an annual figure of 2.5 million such instances. But an analysis of five years’ worth of stats collected by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics’ National Crime Victimization Survey puts the number much, much lower — about 67,740 times a year.

The issue is are they counting actual times a gun was fired in self defense and not times when a gun was pulled or displayed and not fired.

CDC Study: Use of Firearms for Self-Defense is ‘Important Crime Deterrent’

By Alissa Tabirian | July 17, 2013 | 10:54 AM EDT

Executive%20order%20AP_0.JPG
President Obama signs executive order for CDC gun violence study. (AP photo)

(CNSNews.com) – “Self-defense can be an important crime deterrent,”says a new report by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The $10 million study was commissioned by President Barack Obama as part of 23 executive orders he signed in January.

“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies,” the CDC study, entitled “Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,” states.

The report, which notes that “ violent crimes, including homicides specifically, have declined in the past five years,” also pointed out that “some firearm violence results in death, but most does not.” In fact, the CDC report said, most incidents involving the discharge of firearms do not result in a fatality.

“In 2010, incidents in the U.S. involving firearms injured or killed more than 105,000 Americans, of which there were twice as many nonfatal firearm-related injuries (73,505) than deaths.”
The White House unveiled a plan in January that included orders to the CDC to “conduct research on the causes and prevention of gun violence.” According to the White House report, “Research on gun violence is not advocacy; it is critical public health research that gives all Americans information they need.”

The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the results of their research through the CDC last month. Researchers compiled data from previous studies in order to guide future research on gun violence, noting that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year.”

CDC Study: Use of Firearms for Self-Defense is ?Important Crime Deterrent?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I simply prefer to be an armed defender to an unarmed victim. Average 911 time to home is 9-11 minutes and as long as hours to next day. How long does it take to rape, murder, beat and kill someone, less that the average 9-11 mins response time.

Today, the FBI released its annual compilation of crimes reported to its Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program by law enforcement agencies from around the nation. Crime in the United States, 2015 reveals a 3.9 percent increase in the estimated number of violent crimes and a 2.6 percent decrease in the estimated number of property crimes last year when compared to 2014 data.
According to the report, there were an estimated 1,197,704 violent crimes committed around the nation. While that was an increase from 2014 figures, the 2015 violent crime total was 0.7 percent lower than the 2011 level and 16.5 percent below the 2006 level.
Among some of the other statistics contained in Crime in the United States, 2015:

• The estimated number of murders in the nation was 15,696.
  • During the year, there were an estimated 90,185 rapes. (This figure currently reflects UCR’s legacy definition. Learn more about the revised rape definition.)
  • There were an estimated 327,374 robberies nationwide, which accounted for an estimated $390 million in losses (average dollar value of stolen property per reported robbery was $1,190).
  • Firearms were used in 71.5 percent of the nation’s murders, 40.8 percent of robberies, and 24.2 percent of aggravated assaults.
  • Property crimes resulted in losses estimated at $14.3 billion. The total value of reported stolen property (i.e., currency, jewelry, motor vehicles, electronics, firearms) was $12,420,364,454.
https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/latest-crime-statistics-released

"According to American Police Beat, the average response time for an emergency call is 10 minutes. Atlanta has the worst response time with 11 to 12 minutes and Nashville comes in at a lightning speed of 9 minutes.

The Department of Justice, with their statistical prowess, reports that the best response time is 4 minutes and the worst over 1 hour. Interpretation? If you live in an upper income area you probably are privy to the 4 minute response time, while middle to rural areas will see a much longer response time.

Now here is where things get interesting. Even though the Department of Justice determined that the average police response time to a 911 call is 4 minutes, the average interaction time between a criminal and his victim is 90 seconds.

That translates to you being robbed/injured/maimed/raped/murdered and waiting for an additional 2 and a half minutes for the police to arrive. The truth of the matter is that the police will almost always arrive AFTER the crime has happened and the criminal has gone."

Average-Police-Response-Time

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 3900/D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Good Cause" is such BS. Glad I live in a shall issue state where I don't need to prove to anyone that I am worthy enough to exercise my rights.

I agree! I believe the 2nd Amendment is our "carry permit"! But I live in Commiefornia, so . . .

If you need somebody else's permission I guess it really isn't a right after all. I won't ask for permission to practice my rights. I don't ask permission to use my Bible or my typewriter, and I'm not asking for permission to defend myself.

Depending on where you're standing/sitting at the time, carrying a firearm without a permit in California can be anywhere from a misdemeanor to a felony. You will, at minimum, loose the firearm you are carrying. Also, jail is a nasty place to be, even for a few hours. I was in jail for five hours once when I was 18 and I really didn't care for it. I have no desire to repeat the experience.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people that are homeless are homeless by their own doings. They can't keep a job (Even if they want one) because of drug and alcohol addiction. There is help for people with this problem if they want it. Yes it's hard to feel sorry for them.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
com·pas·sion
kəmˈpaSHən/
noun

• sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying a gun would not have helped me or prevented anything.

Carrying an awareness of what was around me might have helped.

Don't carry and forget to be completely aware of your surroundings.

I have a ccw and carry when i feel the need. the facts however, as Deepseeker pointed out, are that a gun is not a magic solution.

There is a good possibility that if you're distracted, you can be jumped. If you can pull a gun out in 1.5 seconds, someone can hit you over the head from behind in a fraction of that time. If the gun is pulled out, it can be used on you. Drug addicts are people that have their behavior hijacked by addiction, and it's not at all rational. They will not think that if they shoot you, they will be in serious trouble. DO NOT depend on their ability to function and think like normal human beings.

I'm not suggesting that you don't carry; I do, but it's just a tool to help your main tool - your brain.

When I work outside, I am distracted, and my best defense is to be aware.

One last thing: If you shoot at a guy that just stole your detector, you will be homeless in a civil suit, not he. You are not in any danger if he's running away.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people that are homeless are homeless by their own doings. They can't keep a job (Even if they want one) because of drug and alcohol addiction. There is help for people with this problem if they want it. Yes it's hard to feel sorry for them.

There are many reasons for homelessness, but I can talk about drug addicts. Their choice has been hijacked by their addiction, and if you think you could be different and could still choose, I doubt it. Heroin, especially, is tremendously addictive. I know people that are addicted to alcohol. They can't change any more than some can't change being compulsive thieves or liars, sociopaths, bipolar, or psychopaths. It's very hard for normal people to understand them.

I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for them; there's a rationale that it doesn't matter if you do since it doesn't equate. But recognize that their choices have been commandeered, and there is professional help for them, and it's never been better. The best outcome of that is that if they're healthy you (or your loved ones) won't be their victim.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many reasons for homelessness, but I can talk about drug addicts. Their choice has been hijacked by their addiction, and if you think you could be different and could still choose, I doubt it. Heroin, especially, is tremendously addictive. I know people that are addicted to alcohol. They can't change any more than some can't change being compulsive thieves or liars, sociopaths, bipolar, or psychopaths. It's very hard for normal people to understand them.

I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for them; there's a rationale that it doesn't matter if you do since it doesn't equate. But recognize that their choices have been commandeered, and there is professional help for them, and it's never been better. The best outcome of that is that if they're healthy you (or your loved ones) won't be their victim.
I chose not to do drugs, That easy therefor I'm not homeless.

Stradd

Jul 17, 2017
Tulare,CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like he was a homeless guy. Maybe just strung out on something?:dontknow: good thing the elderly man is ok.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi junkhunnt & others; I'm sorry but I'm about to clear a bit of air concerning those who are or were homeless. junkkhunt, you seem to find it so easy to classify anyone who is homeless as some type of idiot or psycho who intentionally makes a choice to act in such a way as to knowingly cause their own state of homelessness. That it is their own fault so too bad for them. Another words, they deserve their homelessness because they choose to live that way.
Well, I'm gonna tell you that for about 90% of them you are right. BUT for about 10% of them you are dead wrong.You see ME & MY FAMILY are just now getting out of being 100% HOMELESS. !!! The cause of my being in that position was caused by SEVERE Medical Surgeries and a Greedy landlord as well. I thank God every day for the kindness and Mercy that has been shown to me by MANY of the fine folks here who literally put their Hearts and Prayers into Action to help me and my Family during this horrendous time for us. As far as being a Man. I'll put my cads on the table any time with anyone. I "AM" an Honorable Man before God, Church and Men. I slept in a Shelter so my kid could have a civilized place to stay until we figured out our next steps. Yes Folks; we ARE headed to GA soon. We have some serious Medical Issues we are healing up from first. Any questions feel free to PM me ok. I have ZERO to hide ok.
So junkhunt; Do me and everyone here a favor and not classify folks into one nice neat little package only to discard them as trash from your own quaint self righteous perspective ok. Maybe We here can have a show of hands on how many folks here have ever been Homeless. :headbang:
PS: Yes, I still carry ok AND I'm Sober & Clean 35 YEARS now as well ok. PEACE:RONB :usflag: :leprechaun-hat: :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't go overboard thinking no headphones would have saved him - In the 1st place, didn't even see in the article where it says he had headphones on.

Never been a big fan of headphones from the start, mostly because I didn't like being tied to the detector. Only place I really use them is in the water, good luck trying to assault me there. Seems likely most would not hear a guy walking on the sand, situational awareness is primarily visual.

Would have been nice to have a basic description of the suspect, I can only imagine why there is not.

Last thing an "addict" needs is more excuses to cling to to justify their near complete lack of willpower and positive motivation.
Have I been there ? Yes, I was an alcoholic, one of my favorite excuses was that my dad and most of my uncles on my fathers side were heavy drinkers too, must be hereditary and runs in the family ! Nothing I could do, and it took any possible motivation to change right out of my hands.
Was very comforting to think that and believe there was nothing I could do about it - Guess what, once I decided to quit and got motivated to stop making poor excuses, I quit overnight with no help from anyone. I don't believe for 1 second that I am super unique and a rare exception - We all have innate willpower but it is very easy to subvert it with excuses, and excuses are what addicts crave 2nd only to the vice itself.
Thats alcohol, opioids, heroin may indeed be different as far as actual physical addition ... But still, with the proper mental mindset and withdrawl plan those can be overcome as well. It comes down to, those who don't want to help themselves cannot and will not be helped, for they are already convinced that there is nothing they can do - And I'd think twice before offering mushy excuses to someone like that, what they need is reality and tough love.

Last edited:

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi junkhunnt & others; I'm sorry but I'm about to clear a bit of air concerning those who are or were homeless. junkkhunt, you seem to find it so easy to classify anyone who is homeless as some type of idiot or psycho who intentionally makes a choice to act in such a way as to knowingly cause their own state of homelessness. That it is their own fault so too bad for them. Another words, they deserve their homelessness because they choose to live that way.
Well, I'm gonna tell you that for about 90% of them you are right. BUT for about 10% of them you are dead wrong.You see ME & MY FAMILY are just now getting out of being 100% HOMELESS. !!! The cause of my being in that position was caused by SEVERE Medical Surgeries and a Greedy landlord as well. I thank God every day for the kindness and Mercy that has been shown to me by MANY of the fine folks here who literally put their Hearts and Prayers into Action to help me and my Family during this horrendous time for us. As far as being a Man. I'll put my cads on the table any time with anyone. I "AM" an Honorable Man before God, Church and Men. I slept in a Shelter so my kid could have a civilized place to stay until we figured out our next steps. Yes Folks; we ARE headed to GA soon. We have some serious Medical Issues we are healing up from first. Any questions feel free to PM me ok. I have ZERO to hide ok.
So junkhunt; Do me and everyone here a favor and not classify folks into one nice neat little package only to discard them as trash from your own quaint self righteous perspective ok. Maybe We here can have a show of hands on how many folks here have ever been Homeless. :headbang:
PS: Yes, I still carry ok AND I'm Sober & Clean 35 YEARS now as well ok. PEACE:RONB :usflag: :leprechaun-hat: :leprechaun-hat:
No I never said I classify anyone who is homeless as some type of idiot or psycho. Or did I classify folks into one nice neat little package only to discard them as trash. Also I said most, you are saying the same thing when you say 90%. 90% means most. Please don't make me out saying things I never said. you really need to stop being so self righteous. Really.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The men that would put you in jail for violating a gun prohibition have guns. They just carry them around holstered on their hips. Not only that they got uncased shotguns, or sometimes rifles, on an easy access rack in their squad cars. You ain't alowed to to that , the cops are.

They are enforcing law against a crime that they are guilty of comitting. They have enforced gun prohibitions with prohibited guns. What a sickening state of affairs to in. Can't see it ending well imo.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions