Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
lastleg said:
In response to Jeffro I was wondering what type "veins" he refers to: gold-
bearing quartz or blood-bearing veins in the neck area?

Heheheh! Both I suppose.... ain't no easy way about it, but chances are better on a gold vein than finding one of Jesse James supposed caches..... :wink:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I certainly would not invest a penny on wild goose legends either. But I just
wonder about the number of free-gold veins left. With a good gold machine
you have at least a chance. Those micro-gold veins won't put groceries on
the table with the time you spend crushing and assaying.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
I certainly would not invest a penny on wild goose legends either. But I just
wonder about the number of free-gold veins left. With a good gold machine
you have at least a chance. Those micro-gold veins won't put groceries on
the table with the time you spend crushing and assaying.

I wouldn't try neither that way, searching for gold.No matter how much cost the gold today, nobody will pay you what your gold worths.We tried to make some investment to search gold in Georgia but, it doesn't worth.

Amona

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
To find enough gold you have to invest in pricy gold detectors and live in or
near gold producing areas to make it pay. Some are doing it but most all have
sideline income to pay the high cost of travel.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 4 Didn't work so well for me. My lab just ate all my sample money.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think this is a very difficult question to answer, but here goes. My experience as an archaeologist and as a relic hunter tells me that this is one of these fields that if you're going to go it alone, you better be prepared to live on ths skinny side for a while, or have a decently employed spouse. Meanwhile, you are going to have to do some intensive research and be prepared to go where others fear to tread or don't know to tread. I wouldn't rely on this to bring in a steady income, but if you're real good you'll find a really decent find in the first few years that will finance going on to make some other decent finds, again after a few years. Otherwise, if you want to pay the bills on a regular basis, become an archaeologist and become the best *&^*&*& Archaeologist. That will allow you to be a professional treasure hunter on somebody else's dime.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
No matter what treasures you seek keep a journal. Write about all your adventures finds or busts get with a real writer treasure books do sell. There are ways to earn some money as a side line fossils, petrified wood, meteorids, soda cans never know what you may happen to find outher than the treasure your seeking.

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
The ONLY reason I don't treasure hunt full time is my wife. We've discussed it. She refuses to leave a our farm, our nice home, our good incomes, our luxuries, and our relatives and friends to go live in a camper trailer with me along some creek, and shovel dirt all day everyday. Selfish isn't she !

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
If you aren't willing to sacrifice a few "feel good" amenities like that, well maybe
you aren't cut out for Full Time Cache Hunting. lastleg

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are rich why not?

Otherwise....You will end up poor, sunburned and will have lost time with friends and family...Unless of course they are crazy enough to go with you, like for a shipwreck !

Shipwrecks are another story, you get some coords, a ship rental and some scuba gear, you could very well make some good loot...maybe not for a living but for a little while....
Larry

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Of course if you want to get away from friends and family for a week or so and
you can afford the gas definitely head for the hills

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Do you think anyone could really support themselves, much less a spouse
on income derived from the wide array of TH'ing? Think about the amount
it takes you to survive one day in our economy and do the multiplying for
a week, month or year. If you are retired with a hefty income, excellent
health care, good running vehicles, an RV that doesn't eat you alive, well
maybe you could especially if you had a debt free home to go to if things
go wrong on the road. The old timers could do it since they had no other
income (pre-SS) and were desperate. lastleg

Junkophile

Apr 1, 2007
Deep South Texas
I've thought about this same subject for a few years now. Well actually for a few decades, ever since I saw "The Treasure of the Seirra Madre" and discovered a few treasure magazines in my dad's collection of True West and Frontier Times. I got the impression early on that alot of work was involved and not much romance. I pretty much lost intrest when puberty hit. ;D

I've been giving all this alot of thought recently. I'm more of a scrounger than anything and to me anything I find that I can either trade or make a buck off of is considered a treasure. Most of the time I come across something intresting I will either keep it or give it to someone who wants it more than me. That's the hobby aspect of it for me.

If I was going to try making a living at it, I'd consider salvage and recycling as an option. Hitting the flea markets, garage sales and estate auctions would be a good way to procure items for a profitable resale later. This could allow you to have a somewhat steady income to live on and an oppunity to find some good treasure to boot.

I just don't see anyone making it as THer without being able to take advantage of every oppunity that presents itself. You might coin shoot an old playground one day and dumpter dive the next. If you happen to be hunting caches on an old homestead and come across the site of the old outhouse or garbage dump, well get you digging tools out and hunt for bottles.

One time I was hunting arrowheads and found a fossile bed loaded with shells from some large species of sea snail. Not really worth much but I dug out a few pounds of them anyway.

Now suppose you succesed in finding your loot, next you have to find a market for it. That is an area that worries me the most since I have no experience here. If the economy is down like it is now, the market for antiques and relics will be down. Collectors will be less willing to buy stuff. There should be a tutorial on how to dispose of your goods, if there isn't one laready.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
As Roadquest says: "Research, Research, then more Research, then dig!"
Casche is king, study your story, know it really exists (good research) then go get it. Antiques, I am not looking to sell antiques, find gold or silver that has already been processed/formed and re-introduce it into the marketplace gradually or melt it and cash it in.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Depends on how lucky you are too. You may find a big one on your first quest, and you will be set to continue your dream. You may search for your whole life and never find a thing. Research is your best tool, It will increase your chances if there actually is something to be found.
Kind of like the lottery. How lucky do you feel.

kmcneil

Jan 16, 2009
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I once knew an old guy that was a "dumpster diver" he alway had money and drove a new truck!!!!! I wouold love to treasure hunt fulltime :thumbsup: good luck with whatever you choose to do :thumbsup:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
This dumpster diving is the easiest way to cash in with the least amount of
work. The best for me was when a neighbor widow put her house up for
sale and hired some kids to drag the stuff she didn't want to the dumpsters
in the alley. At least five were filled to the brim. For a day or so I resisted
the urge but when I saw a battery powered scooter sitting in the alley I
had to take the plunge. I half filled my 20x16 ft shop with barely used
clothes, hobby crafts, books and an English sterling serving tray. lastleg

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Treasure comes in many forms. It can be found almost everywhere. Educate yourself on what to look for and where to look. Treasure is where you find it. Keep reading most all posts on treasure net and you will gain a wealth of knowledge. Many people in here are doing and have been doing the same thing as you want to do.
They are the ones who have the first hand knowledge and are glad to share it with you. That's more than you could ever learn from a book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions