Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last week I started to work on my plans for 2016. It's a good idea to keep an eye on the weather this time of year and I saw a window of opportunity. Last Friday afternoon to be exact. So I had to act quickly and put some kind of plan together. I used my CA DVD from Land Matters and went to work.

All in all, a lot of disappointing reports overall for Del Norte county and showed no surprises as my experience is the area...well she doesn't give it up easily. Course no one brags about hitting it big either...but I digress.

I set out with the intention of finding the sluice that existed one hundred years ago based on nails and clues. One of the first things I found was an 8" water pipe. There was a very thick coating of moss on the rocks underneath and I imagined a pocket of gold perhaps due to the sluice was being fed there. That or the monitor was hooked up there. Just to be certain to have some dirt, I grabbed a little over a gallon of unclassified material.

I finally found some of the landmarks I was looking for and found Karen to report. We both went down a Jeep trail...me walking and her driving until I got her into a boxed canyon. Opps. I didn't remember a boulder which prevented any chance of turning around. So we continued on foot and Karen was aways ahead of me because I kept stopping to check targets with the MD. We were going down a rock wash with tailing piles starting to appear. Soon I could hear the excitement in her voice as I got closer..so technically she saw it first. The 100 yo placer mine main camp. Scattered round like toys were left behind pieces of equipment. A classifier (?) the size of a monster truck. Mounds of classified rock of different sizes with trees growing out of it all. The area was also surprisingly free of trash with good targets of iron. Soon to follow were the hand cut pillars that supported the sluices and benches left behind from the monitors. I was in heaven! :love10:

Leaving? Another story. Awful...there's a word. I did my best to back Karen up this one lane or less twisty road backwards. I was backing her up like a funny car and she goes "what does that mean???" waving her arms over her head. I reply "I lean my arms into the direction I want you to go." This did not work well to begin with and epic fail was soon to follow. Things started to happen pretty quickly after that. Suffice to say don't have a claustrophobic driver on an angle and backing up on a mountain road. The next thing I know here she comes like a bull moose charging out of the alders...maybe even caught some air but I wasn't looking after I heard the RPM's come up. She says parking at the top is required now and I agree! :icon_thumleft:

Sunrise 7 & sunset 5 means dark after 4 in the mountains so we started to head back. Now that I know the lay of it all, I suspect my sample was from the connection at the monitor and nothing else. Something that was unique was every single rock I extracted had been broken apart by pick. All had sharp edges. Never seen that before.

So I classified what I got and didn't find anything remarkable with a quick panning. The rains started up just now but we hope to return next week. I finally did find my round headed nail...in the classifier. And a piece of quartz that wasn't. Some lead and small pieces too.

001.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

009.jpg 010.jpg 014.jpg
Paydirt looked and acted like a cow pie @ 12 mesh

016.jpg 017.jpg

found this one piece in the pan that wouldn't move. I was able to cut it with a knife and will post later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear I picked up all the square nails and camoed all the equipment........:laughing7::laughing7:
Seriously though, that is cool!! :icon_thumright: Can you set up a sluice there?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I told ya you could find it man! Good going on everything except getting out of there! I'm just glad Karen didn't run your butt over in the process. Live and learn brother!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a tale of high adventure seasoned with some genuine driver anxiety.

It's great you're out there following up on your research, and I love old camps, so well done on finding it.

You keep plugging way out there as you keep doing your research, and the gold will come; it will.

All the best, and thanks for the pictures,

Lanny

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going Jeff! I knew you could do it. Hope you hit a good load! Guess Irishman's centerfolds finally paid off. LOL!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I told ya you could find it man! Good going on everything except getting out of there! I'm just glad Karen didn't run your butt over in the process. Live and learn brother!

Yeah I really had the fever bad...wasn't thinking clearly at all. While Karen was taking advantage of the privacy in front of the Explorer...I ACCIDENTALLY leaned into the horn. VERY BRIEFLY! But she was not amused and in hindsight, I should have walked home then!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a tale of high adventure seasoned with some genuine driver anxiety.

It's great you're out there following up on your research, and I love old camps, so well done on finding it.

You keep plugging way out there as you keep doing your research, and the gold will come; it will.

All the best, and thanks for the pictures,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny. I post what I can w/o giving up the farm. I found something else to do during the off season. A front to back re-read of Prospecting Tales...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/392994-prospecting-tales.html

along with bedrock and gold the mysteries...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

The Prospecting link has been quiet far too long and since I went to the trouble of finding it and plugging it...would you be so kind to wake it up? :thumbsup:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff this is awesome! Some sampling around the upper edges of the hydraulicked area should show some gold.

Do you have a lot of large rocks in the bottom/base of the hydraulicked area? If so, they may be very hard to go down thru to see what they trapped but it might be worth it...maybe work your way in from a side or bottom?

There is a historic hydraulicked area near the place I'm moving to in the CO mountains and I've already done enough sampling to know some hot spots to dig further. We can compare notes on how to prospect a hydrauliked area...again, congrats!!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Kevin, my first samples will be from the two high benches. Too far from water to test but that's just fine as the water levels are little sketchy now anyway. Also want to get a sample where I think the sluice began...pretty sure I found the feeder ditch.

It's my first search and find but looks really good so far. Very clean old area mostly undisturbed for decades. I worked on more research today of the area...till I went blind and crippled. "Fascinating"...as Spock would say..."to simply enter the correct word or phrase when it can unlock such a wealth of information and potential wealth...why would you do otherwise???"

Why indeed!:thumbsup:

I LOVE Land Matters and Google!

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if you could use this in your adventures but it might be worth a try, it does come with a real working metal detector.. Just remember with SB637 you now need a water board permit to use this near the waterway.
ratled

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why did all the cool toys have to come out after I grew up??? Still can't afford chit so some things stay the same.

Oh and be sure to look me up...I'll be the one last in line for the permit.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are the best pics I have of the mystery pan sticker from the hunt. It cut with some difficulty but smoothly. My quess? IDK...a very old birdshot?...shiny inside...not really yellow...shiny because of the cut? IDK. Sure weighs alot tho??? I'm sorry about the quality and all. Will do another attempt if/when I can.

003.jpg

002.jpg
010.jpg

Oops The last pic is of the picker from the ring in the time capsule. sorry

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody hazard a guess on the heavy Oreo sandwich I cut thru? No? I know....pics were little more than a tease. I'll try to do better. In the mean time...we made it back to Area 1 as I now call it...with my prospecting buddy John. I mainly metal detected for clues, photographed (50+ pics) and mapped along the way while he observed and sampled and panned. We went as far as we could go...to the end and worked our way back. The tailings and the equipment left behind...looks like they went from downstream and worked their way up...but as yet still undetermined. I found one nail but the ones from the sluice are still absent...tho I'm certain I've found the diversion ditch to feed the sluice.

We had a great time in the crisp autumn air and falling yellow leaves. (35.0 degrees this 7 am) John found a speck during a sampling and moved into a deep cut into the bank for 5 more gallons of unclassified. I got about 2.5 gallons from 2 spots out of where I believe the sluice was. I believe I found the miners dump, the banks near the creek that were hydro sluiced and some seriously large boulders in the creek that were very very smooth with cracks that begged to be opened...but not with hand tools...and not today. Everything I brought to the task bounced off like force field.

Here's two pics of what I did find with the MD while there. I didn't get a chance to sample the monitor benches like I wanted but did find a way to them. Climbing up...not so bad. Coming down was a semi controlled slide on leaves and shale to any exposed rocks for a stop/foothold...so not the kind of terrain for hauling 5 gl buckets out of...tho water is nearby. I told John maybe a 30 foot rain gutter...I dig and feed...you collect and classify and bucket it up.:thumbsup:

Anyways, here's what I found today. I flipped everything over for pic 2. The super thick porcelain was found along with metal/iron while I was digging in what I think was his dump next to his dwelling. It helped me find what I think was the miners cabin. The piece of pot was cool too. The piece to the right of the Coors can...is a piece of stranded 1/2" cable with a U bolt retainer.

002.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff this is awesome! Some sampling around the upper edges of the hydraulicked area should show some gold.

Do you have a lot of large rocks in the bottom/base of the hydraulicked area? If so, they may be very hard to go down thru to see what they trapped but it might be worth it...maybe work your way in from a side or bottom?

There is a historic hydraulicked area near the place I'm moving to in the CO mountains and I've already done enough sampling to know some hot spots to dig further. We can compare notes on how to prospect a hydrauliked area...again, congrats!!

Well I can answer that with a resounding...YES! The rocks at the base are mostly too large to even think about moving...at least for now. BUT! There are large pockets between the boulders that are filled with sand and pebbles. Yeah:headbang:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I can answer that with a resounding...YES! The rocks at the base are mostly too large to even think about moving...at least for now. BUT! There are large pockets between the boulders that are filled with sand and pebbles. Yeah:headbang:

Those rocks may be ones they washed out of the hillside but didn't bother to move aside since they are so big. As they washed the hillside above those rocks down, imagine how the water/slurry would have washed down thru those rocks toward the sluice. Wouldn't some of their gold get caught in low pressure zones caused by the rocks? This idea is something I want to pursue next summer when I am living up there. It's gonna be a fun first summer as a retiree! The hard part will be finding an edge of the rock field where I can get down to the base of the rock pile and work my way in a bit.

In my area I haven't found any evidence of the old sluices (plural I'm sure, as this was over a 1/2 mile across area with those steep artificial cliffs (like you slid down) along the whole 1/2 mile or so! This area is really big, so big that when people see the cliffs from the freeway I doubt they realize it was man made! There's still lots of old monitor pipe laying around but I think the Forest Service may have hauled out the sluices and other "bottom of the workings" gear since there's a graded parking lot and road just below the mining area...and some condos next to that. Built on land patented by the mining company back in the day for their processing facilities and miner housing. I can't exactly complain about the condos since I own one ;)

Sidebar: Almost all the private property in the county is due to mining patents back in the 1860's to 1930's. The towns are all built on old riverside placer deposits for example.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GREAT THREAD.

I usually walk a road to turnaround point before I drive it. Or at least I do now after finding myself in your described situation and scaring myself to death getting out of there.:laughing7:

I know your objective is to find gold but don't forget collectibles such as old bottles often found around the camps. Also glass insulators found along old power lines.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff, can we go visit this spot when I come down in the Spring?

This time I promise to get the Nokta Fors Gold out of the case...:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread