Treasure Set in Stone UPDATED MACRO PIC CLOSEUPS AND X-RAY PHOTOS

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
[size=12pt]LOOK TO PAGE TWO FOR THE LATEST AND THE NEW MACRO PICS!!!!!!! [/size] :thumbsup:

Gambling in Atlantic City is a thing of the past. You'll make out better on the shoreline. I run with a Garrett Ace 250 and came back with this and a few pieces that I think are bayonets, various sand pennies and the mouth of an 1800's amber brown whiskey bottle. It stormed with thunder and lightning the night before, and the surf was really pounding. The beach opened at 6AM and out I went. I turned the stone over and there it was, a chain and a shiny silver coin sticking right out at me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and after the shock wore off, you should have heard me whooping it up. I put it in my bag with the shells I had been collecting prior. I didn't care at that point about breaking any of them, to me I don't think I'll ever find anything better. About a minute after I put it in my bag, an ATV cop went by me, and I ecstatically said "Hi" to him. It was probably pretty out of place, but I couldn't help it. I held onto that bag like my life depended on it all the way back to the hotel room, to show my sleeping partner the treasure I had truly found. I wonder how long it takes to embed coins and chains in to sandstone? More than 30 years, I'm sure. :laughing7: We didn't head straight home, we went to a friend of ours that owns a stones and gems shop. He'd never seen anything like this before. He told us that as is, we are looking at a value of at least $400. We plan to get the stone X-rayed at some random dentist's office to see if there may be a pendant or even a gem on the chain and if we're lucky, there may be more coins. There is an indent in the rock underneath the area that the coin is showing that could have held another coin, it is completely round and about the size of a dime. There's alot of MDing that goes on along the shores of Atlantic City and alot of iron content out there, so I bet this stone could possibly have been overlooked by others more than once. I want to get all of the sand removed that is concreted on this coin, but I'm afraid to hurt it in any way. I carefully removed some of the grains of sand with a razor blade and I am sure I didn't scratch it. It is just enough to see that some letters are still present, but not enough to identify them. I refuse to do anything more to it. I trust someone out there can get it clean. The chain located in the top left of the stone in picture one and on my finger in picture two is handmade, the ends of each link are wrapped over the next loop. It is non magnetic, but has been tested for 14 ct gold and dissolved right away at our local jewelry store, so it's more likely to be bronze. A few more links are showing on the other side of the stone from where it hangs out on the other, so most of the chain could be wrapped up inside the stone. I hope to make banner with this one! I live in Central Pennsylvania and I doubt there is anyone around here that could identify this coin as is, it is thinner and smaller than an American Dime.

Update: There have been lots of views, replies and posts for me. Read the whole post to see the progression of IDing this. We will have the Macro pics of the coin tomorrow (Thursday, October 7th). We have used Goo Gone and the sink spigot for two days (alot longer tonight than the last). It's is showing a spot in the middle of the coin, when it hadn't before, but not much more. We used aluminum wrapped around the coin with baking soda and hot water for about 5 minutes, it didn't help much. We're hoping to find a dentist to do a water pick trick on the coin, although none of the dentists we have called wanted to even do an X-Ray. We paid $105 for two X-Ray photos at Metzger Animal Hospital in State College (I had volunteered here 12 years ago, in High School. We received a phone call back from the head of the Earth and Mineral Science Building here at Penn State. The head of the Department gave me an e-mail for a lady in the Anthroplogy Department. She has lived in Florida and has worked with shipwrecks. Just waiting to hear back from her now. Thanks for the five coin rating, on the My Best Finds Forum, but to see how this is progressing, it goes to show you, that everyone wants to find treasure, but the time and effort it takes to ID and find it's place in history, takes alot of work and patience. No one sees that in the beginning, then you find something good and you realize. Please, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Treasure 1.jpg
    Treasure 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 7,221
  • Treasure 4.jpg
    Treasure 4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7,221
  • Chain_Closeup.JPG
    Chain_Closeup.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,869
  • Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 4,862
  • Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 4,794
  • Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 4,814
  • Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 4,789
  • X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,796
  • X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4,793
Upvote 0

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Treasure Set in Stone

That's a cool find. :icon_thumright:

It would be interesting to see what the coin is should you decide to extract it from the stone..... :)

Do you have any clearer pictures of it?

celtex

Oct 25, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:icon_thumright: way cool find and I'd leave it alone. :icon_sunny: Not many finds like that one and a mercury dime can be had for 1.30 so leave it alone.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thats the weirdest thing Ive seen. lol

I wonder if theres anything out there that will dissolve or break up the sandstone but not the coin.

There maust be a way to safely get that out. :)

Great finds and best of luck, keep us posted.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Great discovery. As said before, a good and clear pic here might be enough regarding the coin. There are a number of people here who can ID coins with very little detail exposed/provided. Somedays I'm absolutely surprised how they can. Stop out again tomorrow. The churning waters do help to uncover some pretty cool stuff.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thats cool! My moms got a bunch of those iron chunks with silver coins sitting on her windows sill :laughing7: What I usually do is take it to the basement and use a hammer to break apart the iron and rust. If you do it right you wont hurt anything. Its most likely a merc or rosevelt dime. But I have seen barbers and seateds before so keep your fingers crossed. How did you get it appraised if you cant even see what it is? :icon_scratch: Nice find though!

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

Sorry all, but we only have a cheap cell phone camera. We'll borrow a digi cam to get some better shots in a day or two. I got the rock appraised at my friends rock and gem shop, as a stone- as is, a curiosity piece, that is the value to a collector. He told me not to break it up. The X-ray is all you need to determine if there's more to it than meets the eye.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Im not understanding this, is the iron piece with the chain and coin in it what you found? Is the ring on your hand with the blue stone in it something you found with the iron piece?

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A PA. girl who likes to detect That's awesome! I was just up in Forksville PA. detecting, boy do I miss it. Forksville is about 45 minutes from Williamsport. Have you ever heard of of it? Rich. ;D

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

SouthJerseyJim, no the rings are on my hand. I have not removed anything from the stone, the stone is mostly sandstone but black in color in most spots and it has iron content to it, so parts of the stone have that reddish brown color to it, there are also shells embedded in it and one piece stuck to it looks like the remains of wood.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Pretty neat find I'd say. Looks old and silver to. I'd say a good electrolosis bath would do the job. Keep us posted on what you may find out about it.

I live in P.a also. But hunting beaches is really fun also. It's amazing how much stuff gets lost in the sand. One of those things. Gotta be up early and out early to make the finds.

HH Jer

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

Jer, Thanks for posting, I'm afraid I don't know how to do electrolysis myself beyond the homemade and very slow aluminum foil wrap with baking soda and hot water. I'm afraid to do it, the last thing I want to do is ruin it. I'd have to go to someone who has a better setup with that and is experienced. Wouldn't the bronze of the chain and the iron content in the sandstone effect the color of the coin in the process? I really hope someone has some suggestions on where or who to take it to. ?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"it is thinner and smaller than an American Dime"

Could be a Half Dime. :)

I wonder if a water pick would be effective in removing enough sand to identify. :icon_scratch:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

whatever it is it looks sweet!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

celtex said:
:icon_thumright: way cool find and I'd leave it alone. :icon_sunny: Not many finds like that one and a mercury dime can be had for 1.30 so leave it alone.

I agree- find someone here who knows exactly the thing to do- very nice find!

Rory

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

Thanks Mile-ender, I checked out the link, you have to wonder if the acid will effect the stone's color, I'm hoping to keep it together in one piece, but if we can see one side of the coin or enough to identify it, I might want to remove it and it's contents from within. I think it's very old and from what I can see on the coin, it doesn't look American. But that's the thing, the coin is illusional, you change view angles and you see something completely different. Hoping to get a good pic of the parts of silver that are showing in a day or two. Then maybe we can get an ID. Thanks everyone for all your replies so far.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

IMO getting an X-ray is an excellent first step. Ring and coin does look embedded in an iron concretion: something high iron (thus the rusty-red appearance), which may also have something to do with the encrustation of sand: sort of an electro-chemical reaction. I also like the idea it may have a half-dime, or better yet, a half-disme as they used to be called.

Would love to see the X-ray, too, if you can.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets