Tree Roots and Signals.. or Metal tree roots

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
??? ??? I have run into soemthing today that I have not encountered before. Twice today I have had a very strong signal, once a quarter and the second time a dime. Both time when I dug I hit a massive root, the 1st about 6 inches in diameter and the 2nd the root was on the surface and went down about 5 inches below. In neither hole did I find a coin and I went down a considerable distance and expanded the hole in circumfrence. Yet when I redetected both holes the signal centered dead center on the root. I have to think that the root either "ate" the coin or somehow or another the root itself contains metal in some form or another. Unfortunately these roots are in a rather well kept park and digging a hole any larger than I did would be destructive and I do not think they would appreciate my cutting out a chunk of root. Both roots belong to rather old trees.

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. I was thinking perhaps that the trees have grown up in an enviroment where there was a good deal of coke. The parks are in steel country in Pa and the ground does contain some coke. I think the roots have concentrated some of the metals in it.

Vrent

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
that was a thought I had going back in the am with a long probe and going to see if I hit something, but then that leaves me with the decision of wether or not to dig a crater in this park

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vrent said:
that was a thought I had? going back in the am with a long probe and going to see if I hit something, but then that leaves me with the decision of wether or not to dig a crater in this park

LOL!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this same problem in a park here. Big old tree and a strong signal under the main roots. I never thought to use a probe, but I may do that now. I also have to think about wether or not to dig a crater myself. I think they are good treasures waiting to be unearthed.

Good luck and HH!!

Attachments

• dig.jpg
    dig.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 797
  • Bulldozer.jpg
    Bulldozer.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 767
  • digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 816
  • dig.jpg
    dig.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 757
  • Bulldozer.jpg
    Bulldozer.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 765
  • digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 755
R

rvbvetter

I've found a buffalo and a wheat in the past that were imbedded in an old trees root on the under side. If your able to, dig to where you can feel the bottom side of the root with your hand. It might be imbedded and only partly protruding out. Some signals i've had to leave because the roots so big or the root system is to dense to access. But it also might not be a coin. The last root i dug under, after a lot of work came up with copper wire that someone had fashioned into a ring.
HH

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I read in "MXT FAQ's" that a tree root with a high salt content can give a good solid signal. It's in the section dealing with ghost signals.

R

rvbvetter

? ? Also depending on the detector your using. I've known of some cheaper units to give false signals over larger roots. ?

? ?And who in the heck would waste good coke on a dang tree anyway?!!
And how in the heck?? They don't have a dadburned nose anyway!!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use dynamite to take out the roots! ;D

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The older TR detectors would give false signals on tree roots. I'd just leave it, It's probably just an old 1877 Indian Head cent anyway.

OP
OP
V

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
well I went back and still got the signal. I very discrettly dug completely around the root opening the whole to about 10 inches across and probed, but still found nothing. I was very tempeted to take the handy pocket saw and remove a 5 inch long piece of root, but thought better of it. The root was about 6 inches thick, as I said it was a very old tree. I guess I will have to lean towards the high salt theory so as to relieve myself of having passed up the 1916 d merc stuck to the 5$ gold piece that the root grew around. I use a garrett gta350 and a whites eagle 2. They both agreeded that there was soemthing giving me a decent signal.
alas another one gets away <s> ??? :-\

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sux,

I wouldn't give up til I found whatever it is!

I've had the same experience many times, found a lot of silver coins that way,

HH

Lonewolfe

R

rvbvetter

If you can get it in there. You might try your pinpointer, to see if the signal is coming from the root or still in the bottom of the hole. HH

RedSpey

May 16, 2005
Eugene, OR
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I've read that roots can leech minerals from the ground over long periods of time. So, if the tree is very old, it is possible that it has leeched enough of a mineral to give a solid reading as well. Of course, you may find some hobbit jewelry in there, too. ;D

Knipper

Jan 21, 2005
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
I kind of doubt leeched minerals are involved here...

If the soil matrix was negative at all, and if the machine was ground balanced properly, what I think is happening, is that the large root is displaciing a pretty good amount of mineralized soil. Therefore, the void, or absence of mineralized soil displaced by the root is reading 'positive' to your machine.

Though I have recovered ( on rare occasions ) coins underneath roots, if the root was as large as the one you describe, I'd elect to abandon the signal, based on the above, and also in the interest of not digging some whopping hole in a public area with people looking on. If you can figure out a way to dig around and under the root without making a huge hole (mess) , or if you don't have onlookers, go for it...but odds are its a false signal or conductive trash. I wouldn't suggest trying to cut off a 5" section of root from a tree in a public park, however and admire your decision not to do so.

Knipper

R

rvbvetter

? ? ?What Knipper said, is true about the displacement of soil, thus displacement of, or absence of minerals.? Some what like foot impressions in wet sand will make some detectors give false signals.
And too, why some detectors have better or worse air tests than others.? ? ? ?

? ? ?If it's not a fairly loud or crisp sounding signal, but instead a soft whisper sounding one. Then it could very well have to do with lack of minerals, giving a false signal.
? ? Along with the possibility of a false signal, and considering the trouble it's giving, i wouldn't be too afraid to walk away.

Then again it could be a $20 gold piece on edge.? ?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Sorry? ? ? ? ? ? ? I couldn't resist throwing that in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions