TRIME TIME!! My First Ever!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today I finally left my "Killer" site and went to another site. There are two sites within walking distance of each other. I worked one of the sites only one time and found the Benedict and Burnham button. Today I went to the second site and after about two hours all I had was 1 flat button and I was getting a little discouraged. THEN IT HAPPENED! I got a 11/29, 6/29, 8/29 ID # on the E-trac. The ferrous numbers bounced but the 29 never changed even on the 90 turn. I've never found a 3 center, so I didn't know what numbers to expect!! I can tell you one thing for sure, when I found it in the pile of dirt/mud I was beyond THRILLED/SURPRISED!!!!
icon_surprised.gif
I did the happy dance for a minute!

That got me re-energized and I worked the site another couple of hours and got another surprise. I found a 1854 Napoleon III EMPEREUR DIX (10) CENTIMES! It rang up like an Indian penny. Needless to say both of these coins are first for me! I imagine Napoleon was holed at the top and it tore/wore completely through the edge. I'm surprised the photo of Napoleon is not any better! It is really pretty crisp and detailed. I think it is a Bronze composition verses copper, as coppers never stand up well to the chemicals the farmers use in the fields.

Attachments

• photo (27).JPG
    photo (27).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 188
  • photo (28).JPG
    photo (28).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 195
  • photo (30).JPG
    photo (30).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 646
  • photo (29).JPG
    photo (29).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 645
Upvote 25

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty good detail on the 3 center too!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us .

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool buddy. Congrats on a first

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! Congratulations.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them suckers are hard to come by..Congrats on your first..
George

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow.....a 1852 3-cent Silver......Nice find.....I have found several 3-cent nickels over the years but that one has escaped me.....still on my bucket list.

HH
Bill

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.....a 1852 3-cent Silver......Nice find.....I have found several 3-cent nickels over the years but that one has escaped me.....still on my bucket list.

HH
Bill

Thanks Bill. As bad as the ID #s were for the Silver variety, I can only assume they must be worse for the nickel/copper variety. I know now, I will never ignore another 11/29 ID# lol.

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
That 3 is out of this world. It's my number 1 bucket list. Love the centimes too. The foreign coins don't get a lot of love on here??

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a great trime!, I bet that's a tough little bugger to pinpoint

great find!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 3 is out of this world. It's my number 1 bucket list. Love the centimes too. The foreign coins don't get a lot of love on here??

Thanks Man O War! I never knew what a Centime was until today!! I think it is really cool, mostly because it has Napoleon on it. My only other French coin is 1978 1 Franc, I found in a local park. I kinda like the one I found today a smidge better! lol

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess they get me on the "how did this get here?" I'm sure a bunch were brought home by soldiers. That's the even cooler part.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pretty good trime! Had to buy one last week to round out my US coin types (using clad changed into ebay cash!). It's still on it's way over the pond (bought it from a gal in UK for $8!)...

Great shape, the one you've got...and given the relative rarity, ONE HECK OF A FIND!

most folks wouldn't even have a clue what a trime is. :)

_Skippy

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find man! Hopefully she'll clean up nice.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. I never get tired of seen 3 centers. don't see to many centimes posted on here either. Nice job

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking 3 Cent Piece. That one is still on my "bucket list " of coins to find.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh Man! they are both good finds. I haven't found a three cent yet, that's just fantastic. I can imagine how you felt. Makes all the trash digging worthwhile doesn't it? WTG!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty good trime! Had to buy one last week to round out my US coin types (using clad changed into ebay cash!). It's still on it's way over the pond (bought it from a gal in UK for $8!)...

Great shape, the one you've got...and given the relative rarity, ONE HECK OF A FIND!

most folks wouldn't even have a clue what a trime is. :)

_Skippy

Thanks Skippy. It's ironic you say that, before I started detecting, all I knew about as far as American coinage goes, were Buffalos, Mercs, and Indian Pennys. I had no clue about 1/2 cent coins, Large cents, 3 centers, 2 centers, 20 centers, Capped Bust, Seated or Colonial era coins!!! It's been a great, fun and educating hobby!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread