Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gota start out by saying if it wasn't for all of yesterdays replies with encouragement from all of you, I probably wouldn't have gone out yesterday afternoon.:thumbsup: Been so darn hot.... Thanks Guys. :notworthy:.
Went back to the wheatie field around 5:30pm and stayed til around 8:30.
Started out digging for more Wheaties and "OD Nickels". Figured if I cant get silver maybe I can get a key date, or something else worth mentioning. Also digging some lower tones esp since the wheat count started getting a little slim.
After scouting the field for a bit I decided to go near the corner of the lot under a big oak tree and work that area really hard, because this is where I found a lot of my wheat.
Pulled a couple Wheaties under the tree, then got a nice surprise of a gold watch marked SPEIDEL USA. Made my jaw drop. Don't think its real gold, but it sure looked like it for a few seconds. Found some info on Wikipedia about speidel that was pretty interesting, but still don't know much about it. The back says Bi-metal Bezel Stainless Steel Back. If anyone knows anything about these watches, please share.
Pulled a couple play money coins, one has the date 1957 on it.
Met a few locals who were all very friendly. One old guy told me he lived in that area for a long time, and mentioned how there was a movie theatre down the road a long time ago. Also met a lady that asked me if I was a collector and mentioned she had a piece of 8. She said she had a collection that she would like to possibly show/sell me. I got her #, but debating to call.
So I then move back under the oak tree and get a low/mid tone with a 50 VDI, and I say what the heck maybe OD Nickel or gold, so I start trying to zero in with the 9" coil. The tone then becomes higher and the numbers jump to 71-76. So im thinkin ok another wheatie. Dig the hole and out pops a 1942D Mercury dime.. First 90% silver coin found by me in this field, which ended my almost 5 week slump.
Also dug 5 more Wheaties. So out of 4 hunts there, 43 Wheaties, and 1 silver dime.. Hell of a ratio.
I know a merc isn't much to a lot of people, but it sure made my day...:hello2::hello2:
Finished out the evening with some bacon and tomato sandwiches, with fresh tomatos picked from the garden.

Attachments

• DSC02828.JPG
    DSC02828.JPG
    401.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02835.JPG
    DSC02835.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC02831.JPG
    DSC02831.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02836.JPG
    DSC02836.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC02837.JPG
    DSC02837.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02838.JPG
    DSC02838.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC02838a.jpg
    DSC02838a.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Upvote 6

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of wheats, too many for not being more silver there. Sweet property!!

Not to insult Old Dude you need to start referring to those war nickels as OD Nickels...lol

And yeah, a merc is a Big deal to me. I'd take just one merc evert hunt and I'd be one happy camper.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see you score a 90%er! I was pulling for you.

I remember those watches from the 1960s. In the commercial they twisted the band, to show that it would not kink or pinch your arm.

Good luck and watch the heat!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be running Carolina Toms secret wheatie program on your Deus too.. Got to be more silver there as previous post stated. Keep digging it looks like a great spot.
From this day forward remove War Nickels from your vocabulary and replace it with OD Nickels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Argentium - Thanks Argentium. Im not done there yet. Those OD nickels and Mercs will surely have me going back.
Deershed - Thanks Deershed. Im definitely not ready to give up yet. That merc gives me hope. And heck one more OD Nickel and I might have to change the name from the Wheat field to something else.:laughing7:
Carolina Tom - Thanks for rooting for me Tom. The Wikipedia article on the watch mentioned how that the spiedel bros. designed that type of retractable watch band. Sounded like it was a big deal back then. Way before my time.
Tylerbdad - Thanks Tyler. War Who? Wiped from vocabulary. LOL @ Toms wheatie program. Might have to send Old dude my new OD program Im working on.

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tylerbdad - Thanks Tyler. War Who? Wiped from vocabulary. LOL @ Toms wheatie program. Might have to send Old dude my new OD program Im working on.
Rule #2 no help for OD. IF he ever happens to find one It would have to be voted Banner. So #1 OD Nickel. #2 NO HELP for OD

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, great field! Keep it up!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yOU kept at it like we suggested ,and it paid off to return to your site,

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's awesome-- i have found silver --but no coin yet-- I jump like a kid when I do fing one lol--- lotsa tokens and wheats here ---- going to search a 1700 era in in a day or two ---looking forward to that

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG BONE PICKER YOU SURE CLEANED UP ON THEM LINCOLNS NEAT WATCH ALSO.

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good hall any day. I'd b happy with all those wheats.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mmmmmmm...Bacon! 😋😋😋

Oh..nice haul, too. 😉

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice name drop bone picker ur right when u say OD nickel great finds

gklug

Jul 22, 2014
Wilkes-Barre
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro with 8.5x11 DD stock coil, 5x8 DD and NEL Storm coil. Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take that haul over a four hunt span anytime. Great job with all of the saves, especially the Merc. Barber, Merc or Rosie...makes no difference as long as it's out of the ground and in your pock. Nice job.

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to find a merc.. Still waiting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions