Trip out West

xMNxFrost

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm new to this forum and had a question about sluicing and panning. This summer my family is going on a trip out west to mainly Montana, South Dakota, and Idaho. I have researched these areas and have found areas that would be good for sluicing such as French Creek, Alder Gulch, Last Chance Gulch, Silver Creek, the Deadwood District and more. The problem I'm having is being able to tell if their are many gold claims in those areas and where there aren't? Secondly, can you sluice on federal and state land? I know you can't in National Parks, but what areas can you sluice in? Lastly, what sluice would you suggest and of what length? I am from Minnesota and I am very grateful for your helpful information.
Thanks, and have a nice day!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the quickest way to answer this question is for you to contact the GPAA state director for each state and ask them! watchout for federal mining claims and private property!im seeing some places dont even want you to pan or anything on their littlepeice of land!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi XMN,
You can pretty much forget French creek as it is pretty much claimed, on private land or in Custer State Park. If you are a GPAA member they have claims on boulder creek, castle creek and rapid creek. Alot of the other areas have claims on them and may or may not be well marked. Deadwood also has alot of private property and claims.
The GPAA claims are as follows: Rainbow and Migg 1,2,3 on rapid creek headed towards Rochford SD on Rochford RD. From Rochford RD head to Mystic SD and there the GPAA has the Mary Ann on Castle Creek.This claim boarders one of my claims. Then there is the Husker in boulder canyon near Sturgis. This claim is on boulder creek and is usually dry by the end of may early june unless we had good winter snow and a wet spring. Then it can flow into july. It does produce some pretty good gold though. I know a greenhorn from Mn I sent there last spring and he did pretty good.
The Miggs are ok and I wouldn't suggest the rainbow. The mary ann was producing some pretty good gold last summer and fall. There is primitive camping at all the claims but the rainbow. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Good Luck
B H Prospector

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add Alder Gulch to that "Ruled out",list............all claimed up.........all the way down Alder Creek,at least to Alder

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to answer your sluice question. I use a Keene 52A most of the time. I have one made by a local prospector that is 24" x 10" that works pretty good even in medium flow water. I also have a 24" x 8" plastic sluice I use for low flow and for my grand kids to use. It works well in faster flow also. It really depends on what you like and what the water conditions are flow wise. Just do some research and see what you like and can afford. There is alot out there.

Good luck

B H Prospector

chrspe

Feb 13, 2014
Frannie, Wy
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Nokta Simplex, Minelab Gold Monster, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is primitive camping at all the claims but the rainbow. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Good Luck
B H Prospector
Hey BHP, I am planning on spending a week on the gpaa claims in middle of June. just checking that all 4 are still active? And about the camping on Migg and Maryann, we have a small,older motorhome, 21 footer, any foreseable problems of getting in either of those with the rig? Maryann looks pretty tight on google earth, looks to be a smaller road to the right of the main road, is that where you would park? (between road and creek, not the trail).
Thanks, Chris

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BHP, I am planning on spending a week on the gpaa claims in middle of June. just checking that all 4 are still active? And about the camping on Migg and Maryann, we have a small,older motorhome, 21 footer, any foreseable problems of getting in either of those with the rig? Maryann looks pretty tight on google earth, looks to be a smaller road to the right of the main road, is that where you would park? (between road and creek, not the trail).
Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,
You won't want to camp at the Maryann with your motorhome. The George Frink road is a pretty sharp and steep drop where it come off of the Mystic road. If you still want to try look on google earth and go just to the west of the claim you will see where the bike trail and the George Frink road merge. There is a spot beside the road that I use for my camper. You may want to consider pulling a vehicle with you. The Migg has plenty of room as does the Husker but the husker may not have running water by mid June. There is no camping at the rainbow, no room. If you are going to be in the Hills on June 13th and 14th Deadwood is having Wild Bill Days. Our local GPAA chapter will be helping out with mining demos. Drop in and see us. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

BH Prospector

chrspe

Feb 13, 2014
Frannie, Wy
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Nokta Simplex, Minelab Gold Monster, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. Is it ok to camp overnight where you refer to on the maryann road?
Thanks Again, hope to see you in Deadwood, where will you be set up near for the demos?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. Is it ok to camp overnight where you refer to on the maryann road?
Thanks Again, hope to see you in Deadwood, where will you be set up near for the demos?

I have camped there for three days before over labor day one year. Just can't have any campfires on the claims or outside of an approved campground. Most of the demos will be on Deadwood's mainstreet and at the Homestake meuseum in Lead. I will most likely be at Deadwood on Saturday as I have to work friday. There will also be panning in Whitewood Creek in Deadwood for a $50 fee to raise money for youth services. Homestake owns the mineral rights for the whole creek and is opening it up for four hours on that Saturday. It hasn't been worked since 1878 when they got the rights. See ya in Deadwood!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread