Trip report on Grover Colorado

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I needed to make a shakedown run with our new trailer so we stayed a Saturday night in Grover. I had previously contacted Cheryl who is part of the Historical Society. She was extremely helpfull. Her email is posted on the second link below. Also I had been told that Grover had been pretty much cleaned out by detectorists in the past but what the heck.

Getting there: From Briggsdale on CR 14 take CR 77 north several miles. There will be a stop sign and a sign telling you to turn right for Grover. It's six miles from there to Grover all on paved road. If you decide to use the eastern route through Ketoa that is gravel road and dusty. Make sure you have gas in your tank. There is a 24x7 self serve station in Briggsdale in case you get low.

Staying there: No campgrounds in Grover. There is a campground in Briggsdale. I managed to stay at the rodeo grounds in Grover after contacting the rodeo president Jeff for permission. No water or electrical hookups. No hotels in Grover.

Around town: Cheryl was super and opened the museum for us. That is the red building in the pictures. She had also got us permission to detect around the library, the school and the museum grounds. We actually hit the library, museum, and her own yard. All we came up with were clad and late model pennies. We checked out the rodeo area before packing up. Those cowboys sure do a lot of drinking. But they also dropped a few coins. Just north of the rodeo grounds is a nice city park with a picnic shelter. Thee is a small grocery store but we didn't go in. Just east of Grover is the big wind generator site (about 260 of them). The red lights are synchronized to flash together at nght. Pretty cool effect.

In short a really neat little town. Real nice people. Not much to do. From what I found (or didn't) not much in the way of metal detecting but then again there may be areas not yet touched.

If you have anything to add please do so.

http://www.colorado.com/Grover.aspx
http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/grover_colorado.htm

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
remember ALL the beer caps and can tabs all to well from my very short hunt at the rodeo there. Hit the totlot at school yard but didn't find anything. Your right though nice little town and old buildings but just not much there at the area's we hit I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions