Trip to Arizona...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

canamrider

Jul 28, 2013
W
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flagstaff is a great little town. You can get to the Grand Canyon in a hour or so from there. That is a definite must see. The Meteorite Crater is on the way east from Flagstaff to the Petrified Forest. Another must see. Petrified Forest, yes even another must see. The Meteorite Crater and the Pet. Forest are natural phenomenon's so close together it is hard to imagine them both occurring in the same area. Try to plan some time for both. Check the maps, there are two entrances to the Pet. Forest, I think the best way to visit is to enter from the south entrance and exit at the north. Most land out there is either National Forests or Reservations so you might not be able to rock hound. Check your maps.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Don't forget the painted desert. it is next to the petrified forest. Frank... 6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 074-1.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jerome; Sedona; Prescott, Congress (Rich Hill); Wickenburg (Vulture and Purple Passion mines).

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shiprock / Famington N.M. has some interesting scenery. But may be Winter time up in there. You could head south towards Glenwood U.S. 180 skirting The Gila National Forest down to the old mining town of Mongolian ....spellled something like that. But that is a scenic road down thru there to Silver City and very isolated.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to all of you. We'll see how it goes. We usually don't know in advance exactly where we will end up. Just a road trip to get rid of the winter stink....LOL
Jim

met422

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
Cornville, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drive through Sedona and have breakfast at the Coffee Pot Restaurant, then do a day hike in the red rocks, then drive down Page Springs Road and do some wine tasting at the vineyards. Then off to Jerome for dinner at the Asylum. In Flag you could walk around Heritage Square or go for a hike. I was born and raised in Flag and live off Page Springs Road in the Verde Valley, and was a cop in Sedona for 9 years. We are in the middle of a huge winter drought, and Flag has almost no snow, and Oak Creek is too cold for swimming until May, but still very nice. PM me for any suggestions.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jim, my favorite place in N Az is Canyon De Chelly (do che) The last time there camping was free. There is a small lodge there.
A bit from there in NM is Chaco Canyon. An ancient historical site I've spent time at. No digging though. The Bisti Badlands are still on my list.
I think Pippinwhitepaws has put a lot of time md there. Might be diamonds. N Az and NM are where we had talked about garnets in ant hills awhile back.
Monument Valley is a must see then you can buy a Kichina on the Hopi Rez. I you take some cottonwood root you might make a trade.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When I mentioned your trip to my wife she told me about how fascinating the old mining town of Jerome was. I' haven't been there so I'm just passing it on.

goober

Jun 2, 2013
sw lower mi
Detector(s) used
fisher 1260.yea its old.fisher 2 box. gold bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you go to jerome,go another mile to crown king ghost town,about 6 people live there,and theres alot to see!

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well guys, we just got back. I lied a little about when the trip was going to happen. It doesn't pay to put on the internet when your house is going to be abandoned.
We went down and spent the first night at Blanding, UT. Then went to Canyon De Chelly, and spent the day there, and on to Holbrook. Spent the next day at Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, and then on to Flagstaff. Oh yeah...we stopped at Meteor Crater, too....great place! Before finding lodging at Flag, we went out and drove the Sunset Crater Loop. Really liked the 1,000 year-old ruins. The next day we went to Sedona, Cottonwood, and up thru Jerome and over the pass. Jerome is really cool, and the pass is great...really steep and winding, and quite a climb. Then we went on up thru Chino Valley to I-40, and then took the Route 66 loop to Kingman and up to Boulder where we spent the night. Drove up to Valley of Fire SP, and toured thru there. We'd been there before, but it's a great place to visit. We saw one Bighorn ram, and several ewes with lambs. We left there and headed for Ely, NV via Pioche and Caliente. Hit snow just north of Pioche and had to drive on slick roads for 100 miles, but that Subaru Outback is a gem on bad roads....never slipped a wheel. Left Ely this morning about 9:30 and got home at 4:15. Great trip, again, and lost of fun. Both of us, and our beagle, Sadie, were glad to get home. Thanks for all the suggestions....it definitely helped, even if we couldn't see it all.
Jim

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Flag is up on the CO plateau. No gold. South and west of Prescott for gold. Gold Basin for meteorites. Check with TimC for where to find gold around Rich Hill. PM him for his phone number. He may even show you where. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if it doesn't pay to tell everyone on the internet when you will not be home.... DON'T GET ON THE INTERNET TO TELL THEM! TTC

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why are you yelling, Terry? Why would you care what I do on the internet?
Jim

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you go to jerome,go another mile to crown king ghost town,about 6 people live there,and theres alot to see!

Goober I think Crown King is farther then a mile, and there are a lot more people then 6. you may be confused with Cleator. or Bumble Bee. Unless there is another Crown King, I'm wrong. I'v ATV'd there many times.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goober I think Crown King is farther then a mile, and there are a lot more people then 6. you may be confused with Cleator. or Bumble Bee. Unless there is another Crown King, I'm wrong. I'v ATV'd there many times.
Kinda sorry we missed Crown King...sounds like the sort of place we enjoy. We Really like Jerome...and what a climb to get over the pass!
Jim

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why are you yelling, Terry? Why would you care what I do on the internet?
Jim
I ALWAYS care what happens to my friends. Many people LIVE on their internet connection. Some of them discuss their entire lives on the net. They don't realize the stuff they put on is FOREVER. All I am saying is I see many things on the net that must be denied after words yet it is there. Anyway, be careful what is said here of your private life. TTC

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, Terry. I'm always careful about what I put on the 'net. I'm often surprised about the things other people post regarding their private lives. You just don't know who is following your online life, for what they can get from it. It pays to be cautious.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread