Best and worst customer service

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting now about 8 months. I did a lot of research about the detectors and the companies before I bought mine. I've had a great experience with customer service at White's in the past. They actually sent me a new detector when I told them my new detector wasn't working well. They sent me a new one and told me to check it out and send the other one back when I can. They trusted me 100% and I thought to myself I would never see anyone as good as them.

Well, a few days ago I noticed my 5x8 coil on my at pro wasn't working correctly. I wasn't sure if it was the at pro or the coil. I put my stock coil on and it worked fine. So I called out Garrett and told them my 5x8 coil doesn't seem to be working, they said what's your address we will send you a new one. My coil was pretty new, only a few months old, for sure something is wrong with it, but WOW. Really amazing customer service. Two thumbs up to whites and garrett

Now the bad customer service I've had was with mine lab. When I first got my excal I wasn't sure but It seemed to me the charger wasn't how it should be. it was very lose and I had to move it just right to charge.
I had nothing to compare it with so I called them. They said send it in and we will look at it. I said, can you send me a charger until I get this back so I can charge my detector. They said NO. Really? I didn't know what I was going to do but I got the detector from a local dealer and brought it in and they looked at it and said it is bad that they will send it to mine lab and they gave me a new one.

So after a good amount of research and reading many threads I think it is confirmed pretty much that whites and garrett have amazing customer service and Minelab would be at the bottom of the list, do you agree? I haven't had experience with any other company.

As for the actual detecters I LOVE my mine lab, Garrett and Whites. I have an at pro, excal, duel field and sov gt. Tonight I just got my 8' tornado coil for the sov gt so I'm going to test it out in the mooring. Excited about it.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you send the White's to Sweet Home? I sure did't get that lucky when mine messed up. Had to send it back twice.

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not had any trouble with my se pro hope I never do so I have never dealt with minelab service yet but I hope if I do it don't turn out bad. They sell some top notch machines & for the price we have to pay they should treat us like gold but sometimes you get ahold of the wrong person on the phone & it ruins it for the hole outfit. You might have talked to another person & they might have said why sure ill send that to ya right away you never know. Anyway again I hope I never have to see that side of the mountain. Good Luck Hunting :occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had problem sending my older detector in for service and getting it back from Whites.
Did have a problem with my diamond tester, it was the 220 European type and I need the 110 American one.
Called the phone number and ask if they could exchange the unit and was told "no" I had to contact the place it was purchased from, it was a gift I don't know where it was purchased at....if I ever go to Europe I'm all set! Good thing it also works on batteries!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So complaint with Minelab was they wouldn't send you new charger without receiving original first?

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab has found a clever way to resolve some issues a customer might have with their repair service.... they make the cost to repair so damn high it's not worth even sending it in!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you send the White's to Sweet Home? I sure did't get that lucky when mine messed up. Had to send it back twice.
OJG is it fixed now or haven't you been able to test it due to the weather? Just curious why you sent it to Oregon when their east coast service center is in VA and is a 1 day fedex ship time? Cost me $11 to send the CM Gt down and whites picked up return since it was less then 90 days..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab has found a clever way to resolve some issues a customer might have with their repair service.... they make the cost to repair so damn high it's not worth even sending it in!

Iron did you ever contact Dave in Minelab repair dept at Kellyco like i suggested?

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron did you ever contact Dave in Minelab repair dept at Kellyco like i suggested?

With the potential cost being as high as it is, it's better I wait for Spring and double and triple check everything. I am quite confident there is an issue though, and since I no longer want to own two Minelabs, I'll probably sell it off as is for whatever I can get. If Minelab Canada had any brains they would not charge for quotes on detectors that were too expensive to fix. First you find out your detector (which might be just out of warranty) is junk, and then they hit you with a bill! Real nice that is. It makes me feel like I'm getting screwed, and i'll gladly return the favor posting on every thread I come across that talks about their service. For the price of these things you at least think they'd stand behind them, but they obviously don't... just force you to buy a new detector. or quit I guess.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to dave, he may be able to fix it for you......He is amazing with electronics. .

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the detector from Kellyco. When I had a problem, I called them and they told me to send it there.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put reply in wrong place. I got the detector fro Kellyco and called them when I had the problem. They told me to send it to Oregon. If it still is not right I am going to call the Va. number and talk to them. Hope I do not have to do that.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Put reply in wrong place. I got the detector fro Kellyco and called them when I had the problem. They told me to send it to Oregon. If it still is not right I am going to call the Va. number and talk to them. Hope I do not have to do that.
Well there is one thing i can tell you about Whites service… Is that if you need any type of service that if you send it to Sweet Home Oregon you get a lot better service and at less cost than you will at any of the other service centers … I am on the East coast but i would always send mine to Sweet home before i would send it to Virginia , or , Illinois….

Last edited:

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a bad time with Garrett customer service. AT PRO was not working right, coil was really erratic and the volume with the headphones out was about 10% of normal. They said send it in. I sent it in, they supposedly fixed it. Got it back, plugged in headphones, it worked, unplugged them, volume was broke again. About 2 weeks later the coil started messing up again. Called the lady, she told me to call back and talk to the tech guy. I called back, no answer, emailed, no answer. I gave up and am now spending my money on a different brand. I know that Garrett is said to have good service, but from my experience I will never purchase something from them again. It is what it is. I know saying anything bad about Garrett on this forum is looked down on, but that was my experience.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a bad time with Garrett customer service. AT PRO was not working right, coil was really erratic and the volume with the headphones out was about 10% of normal. They said send it in. I sent it in, they supposedly fixed it. Got it back, plugged in headphones, it worked, unplugged them, volume was broke again. About 2 weeks later the coil started messing up again. Called the lady, she told me to call back and talk to the tech guy. I called back, no answer, emailed, no answer. I gave up and am now spending my money on a different brand. I know that Garrett is said to have good service, but from my experience I will never purchase something from them again. It is what it is. I know saying anything bad about Garrett on this forum is looked down on, but that was my experience.
Well i know what you mean there has been a few times a couple years ago when i called in and got this woman with a accent ….. I told her what was wrong with my detector and all she wanted to know was were i lived so she could give me the address of a dealer near me .after going back and forth with her i just hung up… and called back when there was some one there that knew something...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the same exact experience with Garrett after buying the smaller coil. It didn't work at all and I called the dealer where I bought the coil from and he gave me a number to Garrett. They told me to keep the old coil, which I gave to someone, but it also didn't work for their detector, and I was sent another priority mail.

I have Pro Pointer that is very funny at random times. It will vibrate non-stop sometimes and compared to the other two I have, it has a very weak vibration and sound. I noticed this during the first use, but I haven't contacted Garrett yet about it. I've had it for almost 6 months now.

Tesoro has a good rep for customer service, but I have never had to use them.

Last edited:

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had great service from Garrett also, now if I could just get the pinpointers (yes, I now own 3 since I never know which one will be working better than the other ones) to act consistent and do it every day. They aggravate the hell out of me sometimes, but have at least 2 with me to go digging.

But if you ever need to deal with Tesoro and are lucky enough to talk to "Rusty" on the phone at Tesoro, you will not be disappointed. What a pleasure to deal with this guy.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure that every detector company has issues with customer service. And I'm sure some are worse than others, But for me personally, I will PROBABLY never own another Garrett machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread