Trommel idea

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming home this evening I look over at a neighbor's house who was working on a semi couple days ago. Next to the garage is sitting one of these:

871e2c2748232e974535ab0207b5.jpg

They aren't cheap, but if you can get used,...

own-semi-truck-parts-store-800x800.jpg

Exhaust shield, just ahead of the 'SC' if you aren't sure what that is...

And I don't know about anyone else but I also see dredge floats, and there's gotta be something you can do with the air filter covers and fenders,...

Upvote 0

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the junk yards. They may be cheap.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could always have your local metals company roll you a nice sturdy sheet and either have them water jet the holes in or drill them in yourself. :)

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also use a drum, smaller then 55 gal. to make a trommel too. Just cut out the bottom and then make holes in the side. Unless you want a bigger trommel. Then go for the 55. Plastic or steel barrels are nice, but I would go with plastic, as it doesn't rust and it makes less noise.

Eureka!!

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image5551.jpg

I can't see a 55gal for shovel operation. But, as I'm on the cheap, drilling any of those would be pretty simple with step drill bit.

Someone else posted about one of these (& checking prices at used office supply)

12000063106_001.jpg

51ezpUsfkqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sure you could have it laser, plasma, waterjet cut n rolled,.. where's the fun in that?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
these last pics of metal (trash containers) are to thin tobe used other than for 1 weekend. itll be bent all out of shape quicly! better idea is to buy some thicker punch plate and have it rolled at a metal fabrication shop.then itll last the test of time for you!

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
russau's right. I saw a trommel made out of a 25gal drum and it wore out after a few days. If you're going to the work to make one you might as well do it right. Doug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread