trouble deciding.....

Jrod1101

Greenie
Dec 16, 2011
Goodyear, Arizona
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, CTX 3030, Tesoro Lobo (Orig. 20 kHz)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari,

Gary talks about it in his bottle cap video (1:15) and shows an example of pinpointing and also how to determine if the good / iffy signal is iron. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/xdEhXzCJnjA?list=PLfOmenSOmoc30FWLX7194uKoFGqbZvm1x

He also shows good examples in his Tips and understanding full tones video (6:20) is the best one that I could see but he does it quite a bit in his videos. Here is that link: https://youtu.be/WTuBwHkvlJ8?list=PLfOmenSOmoc30FWLX7194uKoFGqbZvm1x

Hope this help, I know every time I watch his videos I notice something new.

Jrod

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think for the type of hunting you mentioned the ATPro hands down would be the better choice. I have to admit I owned one a few years ago and did not like it mostly because I did not give it a chance or fully understand the iron audio feature. I have recently acquired another ATPro (actually 2 but that's another story) and I love it! I have an Excalibur which is great for saltwater (but I'm 2 hours from beach) and scuba diving but for freshwater swimming holes, rivers and creeks I'll take the ATP any day. For the money it cannot be beat period. It has very fast recovery, good enough for me depth, good VDI, notch(really don't use much unless area trashed with beaver tails) and ability to go from water up onto land area at swimming beaches.
I dig 2 wheaties next to the walkway leading to one of the swimming holes I've hunted several years. I had been over this spot several times with different detectors and it is pretty loaded with nails and trash. The AT have good high tone with no VDI. It pinpointed well so I dug down about 9-10" and could t believe there were not 1 but 2 wheaties where I had been over several times.
It's really nice to to step off into water and hunt without worrying about covers or headphones getting wet.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'll try this pinpointing technique out next time I'm out. Thanks for the pointers to Gary's videos. It's been awhile since I last viewed them you can pick up new tidbits you missed or that you didn't pick up on until you had additional run time on the Deus. Also, apologize to the OP for hijacking the thread off topic. #alwaysstilllearning

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread