trouble hearing the headphone advantage

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i own a tesoro silver umax and outlaw. i keep reading about how headphones seem to make a difference in what you find but with a pair of sony headphones, i cant really tell a difference other than the crackles and tones are louder. not one time have a been able to hear something with the phones that i havent been able to hear with my naked ears. ok, maybe just a very short crackle every now and then. but to me, a short crackle is pretty much always trash or mineralization. could it be because of the single frequency tone that each of my detectors give out that makes me not be able to tell the difference. trying to find a reason to permanently sport the headphones, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Headphones will help you find deeper targets that are just breaking the threshold, or creating a "whisper" signal. It takes time to learn to recognize them. I use Killer B's on my Tesoro machines. It is more about comfort, length of cord, and quality of the build than anything else. The Koss headphones don't fit my head right, and the cord is too short and skinny. The other consideration is the tone frequency of the signal. Does your ear hear high or low frequencies better? These are the important things to consider

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to hijack the thread..but Terry I noticed you said cord length...I know land machines one likes them longer but what about your water machine.

.. OBN0007.jpg

And Terry is correct on the types of headphones..Has alot to do with one hearing abilities. I have found most of the top names in Headphones use the same speakers, just that the shells are different. Black Widow, Jolly Rogers, Killer Bees, and Sunray Pro Golds use the Audiosears 2463. Some are wired different and some offer different options on the audio controls. But the same speaker is used in all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones will help you find deeper targets that are just breaking the threshold, or creating a "whisper" signal. It takes time to learn to recognize them. I use Killer B's on my Tesoro machines. It is more about comfort, length of cord, and quality of the build than anything else. The Koss headphones don't fit my head right, and the cord is too short and skinny. The other consideration is the tone frequency of the signal. Does your ear hear high or low frequencies better? These are the important things to consider

ok, after giving my dilema some thought, maybe its the mode im in thats holding me back. i notice on the OUtlaw that in discriminate the tone seems to be either off or on, but in all metal there is a constant buzz at all times that becomes higher pitched as i pass over metal. do most detectors work this way with the tesoro being an exception? as i have no experience with anything other than a tesoro.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I would also point out the extended batt. life with phones.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
My Tesoro Sand Shark will give a faint whisper over small gold. It's different than other tones. I adjust the threshold so I just barely hear the background tone.

Sometimes in my sweeps I don't go directly over the target so I get a whisper, then I work and usually find the solid sound off to one side of the coil.

Also, I can pretend to not hear peoples stupid comments at the beach, or choose to hear them, it depends.

When I'm hunting dry I don't like advertising to everyone in hearing range that I hit a target. They want to come and look/interact, see what's going on. It's a kid attractor, the noise that is...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread