TROUBLE RETURNING CLASS RING NEED HELP <> HAPPY ENDING !!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
several years ago i found a classring and have tried numerous times to locate owner or descendants...i posted it here once and recieved several great ideas but after trying them all i still have the ring...i have contacted the school several times, each time being more or less blown off with a laugh and a ''we will contact you with the info'',,,,never to happen it looks like...so, here is the deal...one of you experts in the field, get me a positive owner, that can prove it as theirs or their descendants, along with contact info, and i will either send you several old coins or bills...coins can be american or foriegn, bills will be foriegn..none worth thousands but old none the less and in decent shape....your choice....ring is from london ohio high school, 1944...initials B.H...........jostens 10k ...smaller type ring most likely a ladies ring.....the elementary school there flooded several years ago..i was one of the lucky that got to go in in full hazmat uniform and clean/disinfect the school...this ring was found under the lockers that had been bolted to the floor in the gym locker room...the school in the 1940s was the high school........thanks....gldhntr

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: TROUBLE RETURNING CLASS RING NEED HELP

Well, I think you got yourself a Ring.

2 Big Problems.

the person would be 80'ish.

& if small type most likely Female, Married at least Once,
and even if alive their last name most likely dosn't end with
H. any more.

Would take an Extreme amount of Research to locate owner Or Relative.

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

yeah i know...but something has been nagging me about returning it for some reason..just feel like its one of those things i am supposed to do.......g

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know that feeling. As jeff says, "looks like you got yourself a ring." Sometimes you can locate a year book from that class an hope BH. is still in that class. You can then try to contact one of the other "girls" and inquire about classmates. Now that the internet is up and running maybe the class has a website for alumni.

Hope you find her.

Sandman

T

TreasureTales

Do you live anywhere near the town? If not, contact their geneaology society by phone, email or snail mail and see if they have any yearbooks (annuals) on file, or know of where there are yearbooks for 1944 on file. Then contact that location and ask them to identifiy the person from Class of 1944 with those initials. THEN search the death records (which can often be done online) for a person by that name. If female, check the maiden names category (which is common on the death records search). If you can get the full name, you can probably get the person's death record. If the person is still alive, then you can do a search for them on the web.

A good place for death records is www.RootsWeb.com Be sure to get into the Death Records section.

After a little web surfing, I learned that the Genealogy Society is housed at the London Public Library. If I were you, I'd email the library and tell them what you are trying to do and all the information you have. Then ask if they can help you find the owner's (or heir's) contact information or ask the library/genealogy society to contact the person on your behalf and ask the person to contact you so you can return the ring. Here's the email address for the library...be sure to post GENEALOGY QUESTION in the subject line of your email. Good luck. [email protected]

Without actually having the ring in hand, I will not contact somebody and say "A guy I don't really know wants me to find the owner of a ring I don't really have...." It just doesn't sound authentic, ya know what I mean????

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi gldhntr,
I sent you a PM with a possible owner name :)
Lara

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

i appreciate the interest....not having time to sit down and try finding this person through research is why i posted it here....so i took what i had, along with the name found by lara, and sent it to the librarys email address provided by TT...we will see what happens....at least it is looking better as i tried a couple years ago to find library email to no avail.....this place sits in the middle of about 50 square miles of corn/bean fields, is small enough that 2-3 minutes in a car at 30 miles an hour takes you from outskirts to outskirts, and if you ask locals there if there is a good steak house in the area they will respond, '' we have a great steakhouse just across the highway, you can't miss it, its called waffle house'' and they are serious, never cracking a smile.......will keep you updated.....THANKS......gldhntr

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a friend that wanted to return a class ring. When he arrived at the address he was given by the school, he was greeted by the police. Seems the boy that lost his class ring at a beach told his father that it was stoled from his gym locker. He later told pop and police that he skipped school to go swimming with friends. My friend said it was the first time a gun was pointed in his face. He has never returned another ring he says. I've had a door slammed in my face after thay took the ring too.

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

okay treasure tales, you seem to be the winner of the nice person of the week award....was contacted by a mr earl ballenger of the geneaology society after sending an email to the address you provided...his research located a mrs beatrice howard blosser in london who was the most likely suspect....further talking with her he found that her daughter lost the ring in the 60's exactly where i found it....recieved a call from her today, 79 years old and still kicking,, and the happiness of her finding out i had her ring made it all well worthwhile........so, simply pm me with a mailing address, and what your interest is, and your prize will be in the mail in a day or so.........THANK YOU, and also the others here that have tried helping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gldhntr

T

TreasureTales

gldhntr said:
okay treasure tales, you seem to be the winner of the nice person of the week award....was contacted by a mr earl ballenger of the geneaology society after sending an email to the address you provided...his research located a mrs beatrice howard blosser in london who was the most likely suspect....further talking with her he found that her daughter lost the ring in the 60's exactly where i found it....recieved a call from her today, 79 years old and still kicking,, and the happiness of her finding out i had her ring made it all well worthwhile........so, simply pm me with a mailing address, and what your interest is, and your prize will be in the mail in a day or so.........THANK YOU, and also the others here that have tried helping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gldhntr

WOW! What a great story. I'm just so happy for you and the 79 year old lady who lost it.

Thank you for the offer of a "reward" for helping you, but I don't want anything. Thanks just the same. The reward is in knowing that that lady finally got her ring back, and that's because of you. Man, this story made me feel GREAT, thanks for the update.

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
A job ahead of you! I had found a 1943 class ring with initials, tried several schools, This area here is pretty much a transit location, Good luck HH Art...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread