Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to ask if anyone else has used this dredge? Has the tapered sluice box that is suppose to pick up all the fine stuff. The other day I had split shots and lead bell weights and lead shotgun shot sitting up in the front of the mat. By chance the nozzle lost suction and it when it does that it blows a ton of high pressure water through the system. When I got home and cleaned up there was no lead other than very fine ground up lead and not a speck of gold that I could find. What the heck is wrong with this dredge? If you lose prime it will blow everything out? I am about to sell this p**c* of c**p and get a different one. This is not the first time it happened either. Some of you fellows suggest adjusting the pitch before so I did that to get the heavies from sitting on top and now I still am not getting gold in the box, much less my lead either. Suggestions?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello you got to keep that nozzle underwater.This happens with all jet dredges.Get a suction nozzle then you can work shallow water and no worries.Just block off the pressure input at the jet log and run the suction nozzle you will need a longer pressure hose to connect up the new nozzle.Then you are set for deep or shallow water.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a Jobe 2.5 for 3 years, I think? Some warn against the Chinese engine. I have never had a problem. "Breaking suction" is not an engine problem but an operator problem, as Bass inferred. $800 or $8000, pull the intake out of the water and you get the same thing. Also, put the collection bucket under the sluice before turning the motor off so the "riffle effect" keeps the gold under the riffles till you collect it. TTC

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those Chinese engines are fine, you just need to maintain them. The Jobe 2.5 hp models are about impossible to get parts for so they're more of a "throw away" engine for lack of a better term, but you can have a Chinese, Honda, Briggs, Kohler, etc and if you never change the oil or clean the air filter a $500 dollar engine will fail just as quick as a $79.99 dollar engine from Harbor Freight. All the folks above are correct, keep the nozzle below the water line and you won't lose prime and get those powerful surges while it's trying to "reprime". Surging of water or even air flow WILL cause you to lose gold in everything from highbankers to dredges to even drywashers. The gold get's "set" behind riffles, in matting, moss, etc and it stays tight until something like the surging blows EVERYTHING loose and then it heads out the box. The other issue comes in as there is no water in your lines, there's also no water in your pump. There's more issues that can be caused then simply loosing gold, it can burn up your pump seal too. The pump main seal is water cooled, if you run the pump dry for very long it will heat up and your seals will begin to leak. You'll first notice this leak between the pump head and the engine. If you see a water leak or drip there it's a telltale sign of a failing or failed main seal. If your seal gets bad enough it can cause an air leak and you'll have a hard time getting the pump to prime as it will suck air through that seal as it's easier to suck air then to suck water.

Just some food for thought,
Chris

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDUCATE AND PROSPER,join a local jokel small club,be it mining,minerals or detecting as folks who dredge are everywhere and help is on the way. You need a blaster nozzle or your just mutzing and a putzing at 1/3 the desired production rate. With them tinkertoys you get what ya paid for-John

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EDUCATE AND PROSPER,join a local jokel small club,be it mining,minerals or detecting as folks who dredge are everywhere and help is on the way. You need a blaster nozzle or your just mutzing and a putzing at 1/3 the desired production rate. With them tinkertoys you get what ya paid for-John

John is dead right, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Especially at that price point, corners are being cut to keep costs down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread