Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
............................. :/.......... :/....... mmmmmk. heh

Here goes...

She wants to knkow...

Do they fight each other ? ? ?

Do the eggs have "babies" in them some times ?

Do the chickens get mad when you take the eggs ?

And when they quit producing what do you do with them ?

How many do you have to start with ?

ARRRG>>> hold on... I cant type that frigging fast.

Sheesh... ok...

Can you feed them table scraps ?

Holy crap she just unloaded on me.... there are WAY more questions... I may just havbe her type !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man... THANKS IDAHO ! ! !

:/

Frigging chicken head over here babbling on.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Ducks make chickens look like neat freaks. Ducks can also be LOUD!

The only way to make out on eggs or poultry around here is to get feed at the co-op by the ton, loose and unbagged. But most birds are very opportunistic. They can eat frogs, bugs, grass, and more. Gotta finish and fatten a duck with good feed though. When I had chickens they only needed one shot- right after they stopped laying and right before they become burritos.

Great post Duckshot!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shes says... "I have wanted chickens for a long time"... BUT.... she has heard "stories"... now I don't know all of them but she says that someone she knew got some eggs and there was chicken fetus in one... and blah blah blah.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man... THANKS IDAHO ! ! !

:/

Frigging chicken head over here babbling on.

I knew you would like that :)
Sounds like you're going to be one of those guys that has chickens?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
............................. :/.......... :/....... mmmmmk. heh

Here goes...

She wants to knkow...

Do they fight each other ? ? ?

Do the eggs have "babies" in them some times ?

Do the chickens get mad when you take the eggs ?

And when they quit producing what do you do with them ?

How many do you have to start with ?

ARRRG>>> hold on... I cant type that frigging fast.

Sheesh... ok...

Can you feed them table scraps ?

Holy crap she just unloaded on me.... there are WAY more questions... I may just havbe her type !

Study them a year. Most answers will be found out by then.
L.O.L.

Fight? Yes. Fight over a small frog/ect.. (Try to steal it from each other).
A flock will have a pecking order too. Who's in charge and ranks where. Absent a rooster , listen and watch , a single hen will often be top dog/boss.
Fight like t.v. rooster fights? Don't bet on it. (pun intended). A scuffle and disagreement and with pecking order established when young already , one bird will scoot away usually.

Salmonella? Better odds a kid gets it from handling chicks than your dogs probably.
But be aware , a dog can tear through chicken wire and kill birds. Chicken wire is worthless , except to line the lower edge of stronger fencing.

Table scraps? Some , not all. Best health will be based on a commercial diet , with either free ranging mid day to scrounge , or veggie type table scraps (pre table please) in yard. Not in coop. Don't over do it.

Is your girl a MRS.? or a daughter? (Don't answer.)
An egg will not be fertilized or contain a chick without a rooster. (I'll leave that to you to explain ARRC.)

Old birds no longer producing enough eggs are called stewing hens. (yep , you get to explain that one too.)

A "broody " hen going to "set" will object to you trying to take an egg(s) she is setting on. If you have a rooster , options exist for potential chicks , but remember , adding new birds to established flock informal rules of war/survival instinct.

How many to start? Depends on how many eggs you want per day.

Your years study will have you prepared for that. As well as a fake egg or two to inspire where to lay when they are starting out.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Table scraps- my friend sticks his deer carcasses in his hen house over winter. The south side of his hen house is almost all glass so it usually does not freeze in the winter so long as the sun shines a bit. By spring those venison carcasses were picked clean. The chickens love it, good protein for the long cold winter nights. Still gotta have grain for them though.

Fights- My yes. If you get two roosters together one of them will peck the other to death. This is perfectly natural. But, if you are raising for eggs and you got a rooster you are gonna have blood in your eggs. Hens form hierarchies and mostly little hens respect big hens.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
At my previous homestead I had birds.
Coop I built was a fort nox ,(everything wants to eat chickens or eggs) but also had special features for chickens year round in this clime.
Over a decade ago and had about 800 dollars into it....
An ex. owns it now and if cared for will last much longer.

Some type birds tolerate confinement. Some don't.
Some cld weather , ect.

I kept a light on them during the winter and kept them producing.
A laying hen must never be deprived of water.
A hen also will only lay X amount of eggs in it's life.

Rather than build a proper brooder to get young chicks up to fighting weight every spring and replace the previous years(or two years) flock , I left them to age.
They were still producing well enough after a couple three years.

Also , a flock generally does not accept new birds into an established flock...Best to start with extra's and cull what's not desired after they are laying.

A coop has basic needs. Amount of room per bird. No drafts in winter. But I had air flow controlled so not to have them stuffy. Or worse ,damp.
Roosts. A dropping board to scrape clean if you do not want to go deep litter on floor.
Sunlight. Entertainment on foul weather days. Security from predators and stress.

Any outdoor run should be covered. At least by woven wire if not a roof.
A dusting area. Water .(I had water inside in winter to keep it from freezing , high enough off the floor they could not poop or stand in it.
Woven wire protecting the heat lamp.)

Access for you to enter run/yard.
Dry soil. (good drainage) Don't run birds on wet ground very long.
I built a lever to open coop pop hole into run to open/close it from outside the run.

I've seen plastic dog houses used for a couple birds.
A way to keep them from overheating would be needed come summer.

Feed costs varies with quality and source of food...
Laying mash can run ten bucks for fifty pounds ,or for ten pounds.
Oyster shells provide calcium if eggshells get too thin.
Carotonoids determine yolk colors. As can greens in a diet.
I kept a tin of small gravel from along the driveway in the coop for an at will eating of grit.

There's plenty more too it , but with a secure coop designed for birds year round and a run and or yard they are not hard to get along with.
Keeping them healthy beats having them get ill ,or bored.
I escaped having problems . But looked after them close too.

RC,
I can definitely relate to the fort knox thing. The chicken house is going to outlive me, I have no doubt.
AND - totally agree about DO NOT LET YOUR CHICKENS GET BORED
We found out the hard way. When they get bored, they can destroy things quickly, or start getting after each other really bad.

letting ours out in the yard made the difference for our girls.

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So NY over supplied beds and made designated makeshift recovery hospitals etc that are not being used?

Chub

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life is so much more pleasant without roosters, birds from hell!

Them, and guineas!

This thread certainly took another left turn but you all sure know your birds.

I gave away our last rooster. The one before that I had to put down with a shotgun. He was a mean dude... attacking the kids, my wife, me, anything that moved.

For chickens, a good coop with a roost and nesting areas is essential. Ours is one of those plastic sheds with a dog door on the side that can be closed. We leave it open at night because we got a Maremma sheepdog to protect them. We were losing too many to the neighbor's dogs and hawks. We currently have 3 hens (2 reds and a buff orphington) and that's about the right number for us. We've had chickens free ranging for 5 or 6 years and have had as many as 8 hens plus a rooster. Our flock varies in size from year to year and it takes hens a while to let others into the flock, but they will. Ours are free range and we just feed them table scraps of breads and such. They eat greens, insects, and whatever they find around. If a hen goes broody, you can remove the unfertilized eggs from under her and swap for fertilized eggs. We've also snuck in at night, after she'd been on the eggs for a couple weeks, took the eggs out, and gave her some chicks to raise. We've been successful with that technique a couple of times. They're pretty self-reliant really, if you can keep predators away. We had a problem with mites one time, but I knocked that out with a natural garlic and soap spray that I made.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is gonna do some homework on the chickens... ball is in her court now.

I was getting bombarded with questions... SO...

I did some hard work to get her the answers to ALL her questions...

I lifted my arm... and pointed to her computer.

:)

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other

I gave away our last rooster. The one before that I had to put down with a shotgun. He was a mean dude... attacking the kids, my wife, me, anything that moved.

For chickens, a good coop with a roost and nesting areas is essential. Ours is one of those plastic sheds with a dog door on the side that can be closed. We leave it open at night because we got a Maremma sheepdog to protect them. We were losing too many to the neighbor's dogs and hawks. We currently have 3 hens (2 reds and a buff orphington) and that's about the right number for us. We've had chickens free ranging for 5 or 6 years and have had as many as 8 hens plus a rooster. Our flock varies in size from year to year and it takes hens a while to let others into the flock, but they will. Ours are free range and we just feed them table scraps of breads and such. They eat greens, insects, and whatever they find around. If a hen goes broody, you can remove the unfertilized eggs from under her and swap for fertilized eggs. We've also snuck in at night, after she'd been on the eggs for a couple weeks, took the eggs out, and gave her some chicks to raise. We've been successful with that technique a couple of times. They're pretty self-reliant really, if you can keep predators away. We had a problem with mites one time, but I knocked that out with a natural garlic and soap spray that I made.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuck,
maybe the cv thing has folks pondering the idea of being a bit more self reliant where they can. One of the reasons we started chickens a couple of years ago.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Our nation is not that unlike a flock.
Prosperous and industrious at peak efficiency , or not.

Then there are the personalities , assumed ranks , infighting ect..

I had a rhode island red rooster. Rasied from a chick and so we could handle him and he was not agressive towards us.
I insisted the kids leave then hens alone , but poor "Speedy" would get caught , carried out to the road and kids would chase him back to the run.
I'd yell at them if he was panting...
A friend wanted to get rid of a rooster.
2 1/2 acres. Third shift. Roosters screaming threats at each other from opposite ends of about an acre while moving about....
I got up , chased them around to shut them up. Tried to sleep but the screaming insults started again...Grabbed a shovel and shut the newcomer up, permanently.
(Unlike our national politics. I was a dictator...)

And I'll add in relation to thread topic (?)
When disease hits the commercial operations and it's birds created for maximum egg production in a synthetic environment far removed from jungle fowl origins...It will be (and probably has in the past) the heritage breeds to the rescue. As well as smaller breeders.

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
RC,
"Then there are the personalities , assumed ranks , infighting ect.."

I was amazed that each chicken has a different personality. They do seem to love the steeling and chasing game.
Speedy sounds like he was a good one.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So NY over supplied beds and made designated makeshift recovery hospitals etc that are not being used?

Chub

How would they know with all certainty what capacity would be required?
Better to have a bigger capacity when needed.

Then too , did every medical facility make the decision to keep covid patients inside , or outside the buildings?

The potential of being overwhelmed by patient numbers needed to be considered.
Triage as well.

I thought everyone needed a ventilator that became hospitalized. Then later heard/read that those were patients with lowest odds of recovery. Then later... Were patients with better odds when seriously infected , than those with pneumonia symptoms without a ventilator.
Fortunately , the medical facilities know better than I do..

Having an "overflow" capacity for less serious symptom patients (all are serious though if admitted) makes sense.
As does the ability to try to isolate covid patients from others inside a building. Till that ward or wards is overrun...

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
the world is flipping crazy, i was trusting the CDC
maybe not now, CDC director, Dr. Robert Redfield
seems to change mind in just a few days
there has to be negative people somewhere that can
work these critical workforce jobs

March 31, 20205:16 AM ET
CDC Director On Models For The Months To Come:
'This Virus Is Going To Be With Us'
Dr. Robert Redfield said

Let's take transmission. ... This virus does have the
ability to transmit far easier than flu. It's probably
now about three times as infectious as flu.

One of the [pieces of] information that we have pretty
much confirmed now is that a significant number of
individuals that are infected actually remain asymptomatic.
That may be as many as 25%. That's important, because
now you have individuals that may not have any symptoms
that can contribute to transmission, and we have learned
that in fact they do contribute to transmission.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ths-to-come-this-virus-is-going-to-be-with-us

then this
April 8, 20208:06 PM ET
White House Announces New Guidance For How Critical Employees
Can Return To Work

"What the CDC has done is that we've really looked at
the essential workforce, and how to maintain that workforce,
particularly at this time as we begin to get ready to reopen,
and have confidence in bringing our workforces back to work,"
said the CDC director, Dr. Robert Redfield.

The goal of the guidelines, he said, is to "really begin to
get these workers back into the critical workforce so that
we won't have worker shortage in these critical industries."
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...for-how-critical-employees-can-return-to-work

CDC guidance
Below are changes as of March 21, 2020
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/guidance-business-response.html
https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3990.pdf
Interim Guidance critical-workers
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...al-workers/implementing-safety-practices.html
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...cal-workers-implementing-safety-practices.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread