Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I had chickens for a few years. Fresh eggs, endless entertainment, and then mice and wood rats. Then the rats moved into my winterized boat, and into the storage loft above the back deck. So, watch for that. And no, we weren't ass deep in trash and thrown out appliances. The rodents liked the food and droppings.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s definitely why it took a turn for the birds. I’ve been waiting for it to go full prepper.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Heh... I just don't want to pay $7.63 for a carton of eggs.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I had chickens for a few years. Fresh eggs, endless entertainment, and then mice and wood rats. Then the rats moved into my winterized boat, and into the storage loft above the back deck. So, watch for that. And no, we weren't ass deep in trash and thrown out appliances. The rodents liked the food and droppings.

Rats fill a niche.
Like coyotes , they can eat stuff other critters don't fight over or pass over , and adapt...
Given the choice they eat choice. Given lesser options they'll take them and thrive still.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s definitely why it took a turn for the birds. I’ve been waiting for it to go full prepper.

I "went prepper" just earlier this morning. I invested in a half flat of 250 nightcrawlers. Yep! Twenty dozen plus ten. The rumor is the bait shops are "not essential" in my state. The one place open on the far side of town you gotta phone your order in for curbside pickup. I got the bulk discount, $0.16 a worm instead of the $0.25 each by the dozen price.

Now when everybody else is out picking crawlers I'll be out fishing walleye.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other

Kray,
You bring up a good point.
We haven't seen any mice yet. We do have squirrels though. They come for some of the girls goodies. Sunflower seads.
That is until our dogs see them, then they quickly leave. The squirrels also like to steel our peaches. They took them when they were a little bigger than a golf ball. I think they took and hid them somewhere, because for weeks after, I could see them with one in their mouth, but mine were already gone. They did leave 2 that made it to ripe on tree.
They left most of the apples alone, and really didn't go after our pairs.

The dogs and the chickens cohabitate just fine. Once in a while there is a stare down, but the dogs always win.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray,
You bring up a good point.
We haven't seen any mice yet. We do have squirrels though. They come for some of the girls goodies. Sunflower seads.
That is until our dogs see them, then they quickly leave. The squirrels also like to steel our peaches. They took them when they were a little bigger than a golf ball. I think they took and hid them somewhere, because for weeks after, I could see them with one in their mouth, but mine were already gone. They did leave 2 that made it to ripe on tree.
They left most of the apples alone, and really didn't go after our pairs.

The dogs and the chickens cohabitate just fine. Once in a while there is a stare down, but the dogs always win.

We weren't out in the country, unfortunately, but in an area of large lots, fully built. I think the rats were in the neighborhood, and as releventchair suggests, we were offering some choice food.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I "went prepper" just earlier this morning. I invested in a half flat of 250 nightcrawlers. Yep! Twenty dozen plus ten. The rumor is the bait shops are "not essential" in my state. The one place open on the far side of town you gotta phone your order in for curbside pickup. I got the bulk discount, $0.16 a worm instead of the $0.25 each by the dozen price.

Now when everybody else is out picking crawlers I'll be out fishing walleye.

Michigan orders keep changing.
On the East side walleye fever annual madness is just getting going , and as of midnight tonight (i think) no motorboats are allowed.
Earlier it was household members only on the same boat. But , enough folks violated the order....

Too cold for me and no license yet. But , I have a rowboat and canoe I can leave the motors off if the order is in place still come warmer weather.....

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feed my chicken flock what they can clean up in 15 minutes .no food lays around all day for squirrels wild birds or rodents .
my chickens also free range the fields and woods to meet most of their needs most of the year.

Start up cost are pretty high , coop, fence, and the birds. but then they are very low cost to raise .
I'm getting around 5 dozen eggs a week and sharing with folks in the area . I leave them on the porch and they come out to get them after I leave.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once lost my chewing gum in the chicken yard ...................
...............thought I'd found it several times!

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
When i have chickens in the yard around the house i see no ticks !

Too bad ours don't seem to like ants. We finally got the population of ants down, but it would have been nice to get some help from the girls.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...

I have put some thought into this... tell me what your opinions are...

Social distancing should be enough... let people who do jobs like lawns... pools... pet grooming... some construction... amongst a million other jobs where human to human contact is limited or nil.

As far as people "ordered to stay home"... um... it dawned on me... THIS IS AMERICA.

If people want to go out and take that chance... it is their right to do so as long as they follow "protocol" and it effects no one else.

In other words... they follow the mask and no gathering... keep 6 foot away from others. etc etc.

As long as "measures" are taken and followed then some should be allowed to continue... not just the jobs someone else wHO doesn't need the money deemed "necessary".

It should be highly advised for those more susceptible to stay home... but if they choose not to... this is also a choice to THEY should be able to make.

Ya get sick... ya get sick... you took that chance knowing that you could so if it worth the risk or they want to anyway... let em.

The economy will never recover from a total shutdown here for any length of time while this mess gets cleaned up.

Our costs for living are too high and the pays are too low for the masses here to endure it for any time over a month.

Just a thought... anyone else wanna weigh in on this ? ? ?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok...

I have put some thought into this... tell me what your opinions are...

Social distancing should be enough... let people who do jobs like lawns... pools... pet grooming... some construction... amongst a million other jobs where human to human contact is limited or nil.

As far as people "ordered to stay home"... um... it dawned on me... THIS IS AMERICA.

If people want to go out and take that chance... it is their right to do so as long as they follow "protocol" and it effects no one else.

In other words... they follow the mask and no gathering... keep 6 foot away from others. etc etc.

As long as "measures" are taken and followed then some should be allowed to continue... not just the jobs someone else wHO doesn't need the money deemed "necessary".

It should be highly advised for those more susceptible to stay home... but if they choose not to... this is also a choice to THEY should be able to make.

Ya get sick... ya get sick... you took that chance knowing that you could so if it worth the risk or they want to anyway... let em.

The economy will never recover from a total shutdown here for any length of time while this mess gets cleaned up.

Our costs for living are too high and the pays are too low for the masses here to endure it for any time over a month.

Just a thought... anyone else wanna weigh in on this ? ? ?
Who told ya to think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread