alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone,
I joined here the other day and have been reading every thread I can on detectors.
I'm trying to make a decision on a detector. I've had a Tesoro Vaquero for a while now and I'm ready to move on from a one tone, turning the descrim. knob up and down to a multi-tone and ID detector . It seems that a lot of people love's the AT Pro. My question on this machine is, why no threshold ? I'm really thinking about this machine and the Fisher F75 SE also. I've had my Tesoro for 7 yrs now and I want another detector that will be with me for a while. I'm wanting the detector for relic/coin hunting.
This place is an awesome place to learn and I would really appreciate your input on a detector.
Thank you, David

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my F75 in the water. Now it don't work! So much for the blanket statement of it being better!

Some of the guys using the AT Pro are still having troubles with it being unstable and falsing.
True for every brand/model. Most don't have issues!

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had incredible luck with my Vaquero; I've taken it to Europe two summers in a row, and it out-performed my German buddies machines (and they cost around 1000 Euros). I use it all the time in hot/humid Florida weather, and it kicks butt. But then again, I had a Fisher 1265X for about 20 years and it was a good machine too. Have you ever tried Nautilus?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my F75 in the water. Now it don't work! So much for the blanket statement of it being better!

True for every brand/model. Most don't have issues!

Agreed...You can have 10 people buy the same machine...and there will be many with "problems" and many that love it........Same goes for Cars....Go buy a BMW for 80k....or a VW for 20k...they both will have problems.

I can tell Sandman has had some bad expericances with the ATP...so i totally understand were he comes from...if i had issues with a machine, i would be the same way...but at the same time, there are many people that are happy with them...Such as myself.

OP
OP
A

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your response. I'm sure there are pro's and con's to both. I have 2 sites on my property that are so old that there is no building showing , only some rocks, flat spot where there was the foundation and chimney stones on the ground with large trees growing in everything. I took my Tesoro out there yesterday and I almost wore blister's from working the dang discrim knob up and down. Just so much metal I need a real good multi-tone machine. The AT Pro looks easier to learn , but I just want a real good machine , even one that will take some time to learn. I still don't understand the idea behind the no threshold adjustment on the AT Pro. Does that hinder from being able to hear or pick up deep objects. Probably a stupid question!
Any feedback on these detectors are appreciated.
Thanks, David

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same concern as you re: no threshold & depth. Truth be told, it really has never been an issue. I dig 8-9" coins/buttons quite regularly and use the smaller 5x8 coil.
It's a great multi tone machine that will pick the deepies, easy to learn and you wont have to stand over a hold turning a knob. It gets old I know! I had a couple of em myself.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same concern as you re: no threshold & depth. Truth be told, it really has never been an issue. I dig 8-9" coins/buttons quite regularly and use the smaller 5x8 coil.
It's a great multi tone machine that will pick the deepies, easy to learn and you wont have to stand over a hold turning a knob. It gets old I know! I had a couple of em myself.

Again..he is right. I would never think of the ATP having depth issues....Sometimes i will get a very faint signal (i dont use my headphones) and will deep down about 8+ inches to find the tiniest button, or bullets..I find LOTS of bullets very deep. I bought the ATP mainly because i enjoy hunting in the rain plus i have used it in the water and works great there too.

its really all what you are planning to hunt...I plan on upgrading in a few years to the Etrac...My buddy runs with an etrac, and its excellent on picking out goodies from junk...just a little pricey for me right now.

Good luck on your hunts David!! :occasion14:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro has exceeded my expectations for depth, especially with the 5x8 coil. If you cant go deeper than 6 inches, there needs to be an adjustment in your settings or something is wrong with your machine

OP
OP
A

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a great place here. Thanks everyone for some good info. Diggin-N-Dumps, I was born in Ft.Myers but lived 55 yrs in Naples until I moved up to TN 5 yrs ago. I miss the fishing but not the heat. lol!
Thanks again everyone.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great place here. Thanks everyone for some good info. Diggin-N-Dumps, I was born in Ft.Myers but lived 55 yrs in Naples until I moved up to TN 5 yrs ago. I miss the fishing but not the heat. lol!
Thanks again everyone.

Oh wow!...such a small world...I actually just moved to Texas about 5 years ago....pretty much when the housing market dropped out...I worked in Naples at WCI....2006 it was the nations top builders...2007 we were banrupt...gotta love Florida..lol

This is a great site with alot of smart people...i wouldnt know what i do without this site..Good Luck!

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DUGUP....I have the tesoro umax Eldorado, and had used it for about 8 yrs successfully, but recently got the idea that I wanted a waterproof machine, but the tiger shark has no display so I got the at pro. That said, it's my first Garrett (have a whites too) but the at pro has advantages that I feel are things my Eldorado doesn't have. I do miss the threshold, but I normally only used it to find ground balance anyway, or to check for a real deep target. I simply love my at pro....I use the 5x8 coil alot, as I'm use to the light tesoro, but the stock coil makes it a deep seeker. The ground balance is something you can tweek to get better depth according to some here.....I use the auto and then check it with pinpoint button to see if it is close. It seems to GB in auto pretty well alright. The feature I like most about the at pro is the display. I can now hear the mid tones and look at the ID to decide if to dig. Certain areas of course have trash items that I'll decide to pass on, but with the ID I can see a pattern to it, and avoid pesky stuff if so minded without turning a disc knob for every target! If you decide on the at pro I'm sure you'll like the milti tone plus ID, as well as it being waterproof.
Paul of Penna

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like a threshold and don't venture in saltwater, consider the AT Gold. It is a threshold machine with true all metal. I also use the Fisher F75 SE /LTD, it's an awesome relic machine. It can be a little noisy sometimes, as it is highly sensitive.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ATPRO is my go to machine and I am very happy with it. Like everyone said it depends what you plan on doing with a machine. Mine works for me.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your response. I'm sure there are pro's and con's to both. I have 2 sites on my property that are so old that there is no building showing , only some rocks, flat spot where there was the foundation and chimney stones on the ground with large trees growing in everything. I took my Tesoro out there yesterday and I almost wore blister's from working the dang discrim knob up and down. Just so much metal I need a real good multi-tone machine. The AT Pro looks easier to learn , but I just want a real good machine , even one that will take some time to learn. I still don't understand the idea behind the no threshold adjustment on the AT Pro. Does that hinder from being able to hear or pick up deep objects. Probably a stupid question!
Any feedback on these detectors are appreciated.
Thanks, David

Definitely go with a machine with threshold for depth. I got tired of thumbing disc knob too on Vaquero. I'm pretty sure AT Gold has threshold if you're partial to Garrett. Minelab 505 or 705 are good machines to look at also.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Wayne I hadn't seen your post when I sent my response in.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Wayne I hadn't seen your post when I sent my response in.

Fletch88, no apologies needed! He asked for opinions, and yours is welcome. You provide great , honest input.

Wayne

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I'm getting both the Tiger Shark and an AT Gold before next season.

OP
OP
A

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I appreciate every bit of advise from everyone. I'm still reading this forum about every detector and watching every youtube video I can find. A lot of great machines out there!!!! Its kind of tuff but having fun searching.
Thanks again, David

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions