• Gunner 2.jpg
    Gunner 2.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 80

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Hard to nail down to a certain 4 year period ( ww2). Those wings were issued in silver for quite a while.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those wings were issued from April 20, 1943 until July 26, 1949. So, mid-late war is possible. They were awarded to individuals who completed the 6 week aerial gunnery course. The only thing I don't like is that it looks like they have been cleaned at some point.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It has a white paste like film on it, so I bet it was cleaned. What does it do to the value? I got it for $6.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Should not do anything to the value.Its not old enough for some one to be buying it for a antique, just its historacal value, or because there grandad was in the war and for what ever reson they do not have his to remember him by.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It has a white paste like film on it, so I bet it was cleaned. What does it do to the value? I got it for $6.
It should not hurt the value on these, as they are a common set of wings. In general though, it depends on who's buying them. Some collectors keep them shined up, many others like the original patina. Luckily it is a set of wings and they are kind of an exception to the rule of "never clean anything" when it comes to many areas of collecting, militaria or otherwise. Besides the fact that wings were kept polished anyway during their active use. Any pilot worth his salt wouldn't be caught dead with a dirty pair of wings on, so in that respect it's all good. On the other side of the coin, cleaning is not something I like to do to any historical object unless it is needed for preservation. The more you clean a silver object the more silver you lose. I'm not talking about the silver value, i'm talking about the details of the piece. High points get worn down, details get rubbed away, scratching is possible, etc., etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions