Dont rule out antique shops!!!!

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
Don't rule out antique shops!!!!

twice now in the last month I've gone into an antique store spent less than 5 dollars and walked out with over two ounces of silver, in one of the stores the item was mixed in with a bin of plated items another time at a different store the item was on a shelf but the sterling mark was filled in with silver polish residue.

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
when I get home from work I'll post the pics of the second one, the first one I posted already it was a tooth pick holder

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
here's the picks of the item that was in with the silver plated stuff

Attachments

• image-39927330.png
    image-39927330.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3615680317.png
    image-3615680317.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 149

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, thanks for the pics! Good luck........Scott.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have often scoured antique stores for "secondary" items that are not necessarily antiques but would be sold together with them. There are definitely good deals to be had. For me I usually find a few coins worth buying at antique stores because they often don't know how to correctly price them. The junk ends up being overpriced while the "good stuff" ends up being under priced.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works the other way too. I have three antique stores and a camera store that I sell me yard sale finds too.

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
got a crown sterling cake knife for 7 dollars from a booth that I don't think they had any idea what they were doing, there was a bunch of plated flatware that had price tags saying they were sterling, and I got the only thing that was sterling cuase I'm guessing they just read the blade witch just said stainless

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an antique store about 45 minutes away that I love to go to because they always have a keeper or two to walk away with. Last time there, I bought 4 rings, 2 were sterling, one was an old Josten's class ring that was stamped Duratone but no Karat mark, looked like gold to me, bought it for $10 and what do you know, ended up testing at 10K and I dropped it off at ARA in Dallas last weekend, they confirmed the 10K, right at 7 grams. I bought another gold ring that was stamped 14K but it didn't look like quite like gold, the ring was from Mexico and it did test 14K, I think they just heated the gold up a little too much, it had kind of a darker, waxy look about it. Oh, it too was $10.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread