Turf war on the beach

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jerks live EVERYWHERE..

Attachments

• hasslijn.png
    hasslijn.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 92

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four years and never even ran across someone with a bad attitude, let alone went to war with them...8 out of 10 go out of their way to be friendly...I live in Florida, the sunshine makes everyone happy. 8-):sunny:8-)

SDBob

Jun 11, 2013
SE South Dakota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ5, Tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife and I are heading to Tampa area for a couple months starting Jan 1. Last year I detected numerous times on the different beaches and the other MD'ers couldn't have been more friendly! Can't wait to feel the sand in my toes :metaldetector:

BTW, I'd like to hire a guide and do some Bass fishing.......does anyone have someone you'd recommend?
Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
8 out of 10 go out of their way to be friendly...I live in Florida, the sunshine makes everyone happy.

I live in Florida too, and if I catch someone on my property they will be shot.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not fighting for dirt. Theres enough room for everybody.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach!? What is a beach? Ain't seen one in a while. Hope to change that soon though.
But, on turf, I seldom run into other detectorists. Even when I have, I give tips on where to hunt.
Peace ✌

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I have a guy that when he sees me he tries to claim turf. A little nasty at the start every time. I wound telling him I owned a property 10 doors down and pointed it out, and asked him which one he owned.

After that he cooled out a bit about owning beach, but started telling me he needs the money from his finds, it's his only way of making a living. Then I told him he should try a job, cause the change would make it hard to pay for the gas in the new Chevy he drives around.
Haven't seen him in about 9 months though. ( they resanded the beach,,, pickins been slim, I am sure he thinks I found everything)

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected beaches here in central and northern California, Florida and Hawaii and Hawaii is the only place where I encountered an attitude from the local detectorists.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I got lotsa folks digging in my litter box! :laughing7:
It's a big ole beach, cain't one cat, (err, I mean) person, cover it all! :notworthy:

mineallmine.jpg

I did have a fellow, would keep coming right up on me and my friend, with his Excal. He wasn't really friendly either, I had to tell him to back off, I was digging a target and he was messing me up. My friend said she got kinda ugly with him, when he started mouthing off at her, some kinda excuseses, "he can go where he wants, free ocean.....etc", we just told him to stay away from us! I guess some feel it's ok to be jerkish towards others, but I find it's a very rare exception, in our community.
Most all detectorists I run across are really nice folks!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've faced off with sharks, man-o-wars, stingrays, and toe grabbing crabs.......of these, I usually let the sharks own the beach when it appears they're carrying an attitude. :laughing7:

As for humans and turf wars on the beach.....can't say that I'd even notice such a challenge if it ever did/has come about. :thumbsup:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I had one guy tell me it was his beach. ALL 1 1/2 miles of it. I politely responded, " Let me just make a phone call to the Police and see if it was true." He left, I stayed. No more probs after that. PEACE:RONB

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not had any issues with other MDers on the stretch on NJ beach I hunt (on season). Most have been quite pleasant and helpful. If they get to a spot first, I say hello, go around and continue on.

Except for one old codger who leaves a trail of gopher holes in his wake. When I cross his holes, I fill them. If they stop allowing MDing on that beach, it will be because of him.

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Anyone ever get in an argument or altercation while on vacation from the locals that think they own the beach?

simply tell this jerkoff you think he needs an attitude change.tell him go have a shot and a beer and come back when he's in a better mood.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years ago there was a turf war in Jersey when many were finding ship wreck coins on this one smaller beach, I won't mention any names but word got back to the Feds and last I heard they started filtering everything they pumped in on the next replenishment...No more goodies to fight over now...

I had a fairly good late summer treasure hunting at the ocean and I did have one local tell me as he was passing by that they were going to ban me from the beach. Still trying to figure out who "they are".......
Most of the other locals were very friendly, along with the out of siders vacationing.

And if he happens to read this, I will be back next summer to dig more of your gold.......:skullflag:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago there was a turf war in Jersey when many were finding ship wreck coins on this one smaller beach, I won't mention any names but word got back to the Feds and last I heard they started filtering everything they pumped in on the next replenishment...No more goodies to fight over now...

I had a fairly good late summer treasure hunting at the ocean and I did have one local tell me as he was passing by that they were going to ban me from the beach. Still trying to figure out who "they are".......
Most of the other locals were very friendly, along with the out of siders vacationing.

And if he happens to read this, I will be back next summer to dig more of your gold.......:skullflag:
I was jealous of all those gold finds you were making and I live in another state. :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not had any issues with Othe MDers on the stretch on NJ beach I hunt (on season). Most have been quite pleasant and helpful. If they get to a spot first, I say hello, go around and continue on.

Except for one old codger who leaves a trail of gopher holes in his wake. When I cross his holes, I fill them. If they stop allowing MDing on that beach, it will be because of him.
Yeah, when I see someone detecting toward me I make sure Im not in their line and change mine to give them a wide berth...they either give me a wave or come over to talk...may be why I haven't had a bad experience yet...beaches I hunt are huge so that might be some of the reason too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread