Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After all these years, I've finally started asking for private home permissions recently. A few weeks back I got an ok to set up a time for a really great place, but they stopped communication with me so I didn't push it. I got 3 no's and 2 no one home all in the same day. I typically present myself very well, and try to let them understand that I've been in the hobby for many years and that no lawn damage would occur. I often offer a demonstration on how I would cut a hole and replace it. Even after that, the one gentleman declined my demonstration and said, "The house is so old and there are so many things in the yard, there will be holes all over the place". I go in with the assumption that "digging" would be the main consern of a property owner, therefore offering a demonstration. Some people look at me like I'm crazy for asking such a question, and I've been given a stern "no". I guess I have to get over the feeling of "feeling like a jerk for asking". It's only certain days that I can bring myself to knock on doors also. And those are the days that I can cover up feeling awkward doing so. Does everyone take a flat out "no" and just say thank you and walk away, or is there anymore convincing talk afterwards? I have scored a few permissions so far, but it seems that there are more no's than yes's. This is typical?

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations for taking the first steps. I too struggle with just knocking and asking to detect some strangers yard. Up here in the DC area there is a feeling of suspicion with anyone who seems to knock on doors. I have been told No more times than yes (they were all nice No's) . I have about 15 properties that I drive by all the time saying I am going to ask, but it takes a bit for me to work up the gumption. Keep talking the baby steps and the permissions will come.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the better ideas(I thought) was one I saw from someone on one of these forums...forgot where...anyway,your town has an annual garage sale,right? Most do. This takes all day,so forget detecting that day! Go to any and all garage sales in parts of town you see are older. Snoop a bit(a few minutes,not a few hours!) and buy something inexpensive(50cent item). At the same time(and don’t do this when you’re the first person in a line of 6 people) comment on the property in some way to engage the person running the sale in conversation. If they have something cheap that you can buy that can be related to detecting or related to something you might find detecting,all the better....you have a REASON to bring up the subject. When you’re on your “daily mission” you must ask if you can return “later” or “some other time when they’re not having a sale” because you have one day to round up the permissions in this one town. You can do this in any town around,and you don’t have to door knock...by having a sale they are already inviting YOU onto their property.
So...learn when these city-wide sales are via the local papers or COC or the town hall may know. For 10 bucks as an investment you might corral 20 permissions,and it may even ballon from there if you get into a good jawjacker with a neighbor of one of those permissions.
Cold calling? A little weird for me,because I can feel the homeowner feeling a little weird. It’s not a question you get asked every day. But put them in a position which is more comfortable for them such as the sale day,and the weird isn’t AS weird anymore.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to sample some river and creek habitats for fish and some of these were old public landings. We collected fish samples, removed what we needed from them, and then had to find a charity to donate them. If the charities could not accept them, we could give them to others. I offered fish to the property owners after work and discussed the history of their property and others in the area. It helped that these folks had already seen us out sampling and wondered what we were up to. I would clean the fish for them if they wanted them. In the course of getting the info about the history, I'd bring up my hobby. I really only wanted to hunt along the shore, and usually got the ok to do that but some people also offered to let me hunt their lawns - without even being asked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions