Turtle shell breast plate???? Need help

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in the ground, in a very productive area. It is a turtle shell that appears to be worked on. Note the two drill holes on the top. Is this a legit artifact? Anyone ever found anything similar? It looks like what I would imagine a breast plate to be. image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice guys. As a new member I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to help me out. As for the shell I will hold on to it no harm in keeping it around. I guess it is a hard one call, if not for the fact that I found it buried in a spot where I have found dozens of points, I would have not taken it as serious. I will post some pics of the Quartz points I found this week tomorrow. Thanks again.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Late to this party, but here are my thoughts:

1. Most of the marks are rodent chews, but the placement of the holes is odd. Maybe there is a natural thin spot in the shell there, or some really big gator (or something with a wide bite pattern) bit it there puncturing two holes there, but the placement is still odd.

2. Most turtle bone gorgets that I have heard of come from big sites, they aren't common isolated finds. If it came from a site, there should be other bone tools, pottery, and points that identify it to the woodland or Mississippian periods.

3. It could also be something historic, lots of people have used turtle shells for rattles, decoration, etc.

4. Turtle shells often break apart naturally into 'geometric' plates when they are fresh. If they are dried carefully, they hold up well. (Someone else mentioned it, but their joints between shell plates are soft when fresh and often fall apart if they decompose naturally. If they are cleaned and get a chance to dry, the joints harden and the shell stays together.)

If you find other relics there that fit the pattern, maybe it's a gorget, otherwise I'd say it's probably something else.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It very well could be something used for decoration if it came from a site with other related artifacts. As far as clan symbols go, they were usually referring to water turtles, not land terrapins; there was a distinction there. The Kiowas told me that the snapping turtle was considered the king of the animals.

LeighTzu

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2016
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
El cheapo until I can upgrade xD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that thing is awesome! I would personally like to hear more or possibly see some pictures of your hilltop site. I also have one located on a hilltop that I would like to compare.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over in my area of South east Georgia a turtle shell or bone would be long gone if in soil. the acid soil will destroy bones or turtle parts if not protected in shell heaps.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over in my area of South east Georgia a turtle shell or bone would be long gone if in soil. the acid soil will destroy bones or turtle parts if not protected in shell heaps.

I knew it was like that here in N GA but wasnt sure if it was the same on your section.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Many serrated stone tools are perfectly capable of scraping those edges to look like an o.c.d mouse did it. I don't know how long turtle lasts in the ground around there, but I imagine you have fossils? I'll never understand how something is less likely an artifact if it isn't found next to other artifacts. Idk

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call it a gorget, something like this. The holes don't have to be drilled, they could be punched.

I agree with Bow Only.
I believe Turtle is one of the Seven Clans of the Cherokee.
There is a turtle on my beaded headband seen here - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/485065-identification-help-requested-beaded-article-possible-headband-hatband.html

I am far from being knowledgeable in this area, but I am thinking this turtle plate is a damn fine artifact.
Congrats on having the good eye to recognize it.

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it was like that here in N GA but wasnt sure if it was the same on your section.

I thought that it might have become minerized. When wetted green and blue colors with in it can be seen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 58

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread