TV debut....oh great!

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know there are many CRHs out there but our competition may increase.

Watching doomsday preppers and our hobby made a TV debut. The guy explained if you look through half dollars and get the silver ones you can cash them in. Just so happens he finds some and gives the silver value and face value. 6 or so coins with a value over 100.00.

What do you guys think of this?

Novapax

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
This is not some secret hobby. It is common knowledge that dimes, quarters and halves were 90% silver until 1965. It is common knowledge that 40% halves were made from 1965-1970. It is common knowledge that you can get rolls of coin at the bank. It then doesn't take too much of a jump to buy coins at a bank, look for silver and then dump them at a different bank.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I am not a prepper, I am prepared. These scenarios have run through my mind, and also keep in mind that Hurricane Charley came right across the top of my house.

1) Major storm heading your way. - Cargo trailer with enough gas, water and food to keep my family alive until I can return to my home.

2) Terrorist attack. - Don't laugh it can happen, heck one of the pilots that trained to fly into the WTC, learned to fly less than 15 miles from house. If that is the case then
the cargo trailer gets loaded with everything and we are gone to the hills.

3) Major Power Outage. - Anyone remember a couple of years ago when the entire Eastern Seaboard lost power for a few days. Everything we need will be packed and we are gone including our generator.

Yes, I collect the three B's. Beans, Bulletts and Bullion.......

1) Don't know how many times I've had to eat or throw out all that food because it goes bad after a few years down here. Gas just turns to varnish within a year, I always have a few cans that I'm using but the wife and I aren't going anywhere no matter what comes again. I could use a new roof anyway which with no insurance I'll be doing myself.

2) Don't believe everything you hear just because it is on TV and in the newspaper. The only thing anyone ever learned at that airport was how they can bring in half the drugs that the CIA needs to fund their projects. I guess you only live about 14 miles from me.

3) I have my propane tanks, backpacking and camping gear for lights and cooking. I can walk or ride my bike the five blocks to the Intracoastal waterway although I haven't had a license or eaten any since they dumped all the corexit into the Gulf from the Deep Well leak.

I like a little rice with my beans and fish, enough bullets to be able to get all I'll ever need, and the bullion I'm keeping in my gun safe, deep water and gold and silver don't mix.

Things sure have changed a lot down here since 1975. When I was 10, I got pulled around a tank in a rowboat by porpoises when Seaworld was still up in Ospery, aaaah the good old days. I come down your way once a month and dump at the BOAs while I'm there. I have never seen anyone else getting boxes down here but with all the old men asking and the tellers cherry picking, I don't find many 90%'s. HH

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people make comments without thinking or just don't think enough. How do you think our hobby is alive and well as we speak? Do you still think you're digging to the bottom of the vault, headed towards a gold mine? If so, I guess it would explain why people think "silver in circulated coin" is common knowledge. The reason our hobby is still fruitful is because people are ignorant enough to continue to dump silver coins in circulation. CRHers are just passing searched coins back and forth to each other, waiting for silver to be dumped into circulation. Most informed/knowledgeable people have no idea people are ignorant enough to dump silver into circulation for face value...period.

Most people that would be interested in our hobby do know about silver coins. They know about 40% halves. They know they can get coin at the bank. Making the connection that silver is currently in circulation is something most can't even imagine, much less expect. If the general public were all informed, we wouldn't be CRHing for silver any more...it would be gone.

OO

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Owassokie, welcome!

Truth be known, I've been roll hunting a long time, many that I know have known me as a crh'er. Dozens, maybe hundreds? Not one that I know of has shown any interest beyond a raised eyebrow. Several have seen the scores. Not interested.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fistfull, I'm starting to get in to MDing a bit so I joined up here.

I don't expect this to end the hobby or anything (although my posts may sound like it). I know this is petty to a lot of people and I agree with one of the lines I've heard you say... 'a fast food job would probably net more money'. All I'm saying is I envision the people watching this show to be prime candidates for CRHing. I don't think anything will destroy the hobby. There will always be people ignorant enough to dump coins that have value above their face value. I just think this has the potential to have a bigger impact than any of the other so called threats.

OO

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
All that I know is if the "Werewolf apocalypse" comes We'll be able to make some silver bullets and the others will be totally screwed. When Werewolves come do you people think the US and Canada will lift the melt ban on silver coins?

Heeeeyyy!! Don't be dissing my people. There are many kinds of werewolves out there. There is even a peaceloving tribe called the Children of Gaia. And there is a law against eatting people. Blech!!! The 'taste like chicken' thing is soo 1800's. All the chemicals and junk people eat why would we eat people when we got all the yummy deer and rabbits out there.

And Btw, some garou are immune to silver...

(Just joking btw. Really seriously. ::whispers:: there's no such thing as werewolves.. bummer)

Hugs and Smiles, Garoulady

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think its any worse than this website. There are alot of detectorist that stumble upon the CRH forums, and get the bug.

The good thing is , just like detecting..The ones that arent really dedicated to this hobby give up quickly after no results..Just my opinion

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
I dont think its any worse than this website. There are alot of detectorist that stumble upon the CRH forums, and get the bug.

The good thing is , just like detecting..The ones that arent really dedicated to this hobby give up quickly after no results..Just my opinion

That's exactly what happened in my case, and am very appreciative of this site for having this forum on CRH. Thanks to what I learned on here I paid for my metal detector in just 2 months of CRH finds. So thank you Tnet for having all types of treasure hunting listed here.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Why is he looking at the side of the coin through a loupe? Seriously?

2. No film of his roll of 12 silver coins. I'm sure it was staged to look good.

3. At least he's not doing it TimZim style and buying a pallet. Small time is small time.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny you mention CRH on tv, I was pretty surprised watching the last episode of Pawn Stars a few nights ago..They show the old man hoarding bucket of copper penny's and the old man explains how pre-1982 pennies are made of mostly copper and how he will be rich some day once the government takes off the melting ban..However by the end of the episode Chum, Rick and his son made the old man out to be a crazy greedy lunatic hoarder. The old man is notorious for loving silver and now copper, what an awesome dude..Anywho its the first thing I've ever heard on mainstream TV (besides the on news) of people hoarding copper cents for future value.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He cracks open a MWR (yellow String roll) that looks like it has a promising edge, and a split second later when he says he found 12 silvers he is holding an empty old brown paper roll. Something is fishy.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
He cracks open a MWR (yellow String roll) that looks like it has a promising edge, and a split second later when he says he found 12 silvers he is holding an empty old brown paper roll. Something is fishy.

I saw 2 or 3 silvers, not 12 in that roll. Also, the announcer said "all halves before 1970 are silver." At least the viewers will leave the 1970 silvers for us.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
It looks like he has about 3 hundred on the table and in his little bag, too bad they couldn't be bothered to show the truth, it would have been great watching Mr. long hair skinny guy trying to open his car door with two full boxes in that canvas bag. I guess that one CWR was his home run, "that's food, clothes, maybe even enough to one day afford a hair cut." He was probably just a paid actor they were using to try to spice up a boring show. There are only so many ways to tell the same old story.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. Looked kinda staged. How many of us get 12 in one strings rolls? Needless to say when the camera is rolling. LoL.

Novapax

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I saw that. Didn't help that he "found" 12 silvers in one roll.

:-\

Fixed it for you.

I can guarantee you he didn't find 12 silvers in one roll on the first take of filming. They "seeded" the roll, to make it look like that's what he found, same as they do for Auction Hunters, Storage Wars, etc. Makes for much better TV than roll after roll of skunks...

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Novapax said:
Yeah. Looked kinda staged. How many of us get 12 in one strings rolls? Needless to say when the camera is rolling. LoL.

Novapax

The most I usually find in a Strings roll are 4 per roll. Found several 3 & 4 per roll ones last night as a matter of fact.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
without further research, the layman will think MRW are the way to go, and give up when the promised "12 silver coins" are not found.

I have shown my friends 250 face value silver coins I gathered this year. No one give a rat. They see the effort I put into, and it turns them off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread