Twitchs first year finds - story w/ case photos

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Twitch's first year finds - story w/ case photo's

Rock posted a thread with his first find, so I'm following suit. These two cases are from my first full year of artifact hunting which was 2000. At the end of '98 I moved from New Mexico to Washington State. At the beginning of '99 I moved to central IL and found my first couple of brokes in a field my the house we were renting. Moved to KY in the middle on '99. In early 2000 a guy I met asked if I wanted to go shed hunting. I said sure. He had one hell of a shed collection. As we were looking I asked if he'd every found arrowheads. He said no, but was sure we could look on some of the land he shed hunted on. To make a long story short, he hasn't found a shed in ~13 years and has one very nice artifact collection.

The first whole point I found was the tan Adena, bottom row, 2nd from the right. My actually found 4 of these, the Motley in the bottom left corner of case #1, the 3-1/2" unhafted knife right above it and the Madison-ish point just right of center. She also found the flint celt at center in case #2. The buck creek in the top right corner of case #1 was found in 2 pieces laying right next to each other.

The brown eared Hopewell at the center of case #1 is one of my 10 favorite points. Many people will say it's not a Hopewell. When Red Tully was alive he was certain that's what it was and I trust his judgement when it comes to western KY points. There are very similar points pictured in his books. Also the pink point w/ white spots on the bottom row, 2nd from the left is a top 10 for me. Not really a nice point, but at the time I found I couldn't believe points that nice could be found. I didn't really know anyone who'd ever found an arrowhead before and I remember thinking the day I found that "I bet no one else in the world had a better day hunting artifacts today than I had". Ha ha ha! But at the time I had no idea what was out there to be found. There's a thumbnail scraper in case #2, just above the bottom left corner. I remember finding that one and discussing with my two rock hunting buddies why it didn't have notches and why it was only worked on one side.

These generally aren't my nicest points but as my first they're some of my favorites. I remember finding each and every one.

These all come from Southern Illinois or Western Kentucky.

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Attachments

• P1100439.JPG
    P1100439.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 114
  • P1100440.JPG
    P1100440.JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a really nice first year Twitch. I really like that Buck Creek in the first tray.

I have my first Point ever marked, but really have no idea what I actually found that first year. Of course I was only 6 years old when I found my first so I really didn't keep track of what I found that year.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great first year! Great story too.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks everyone. It was a great year for me. The next two or three years after 2000 I really hit my prime as far as hunting rocks goes.
SRV - Buck Creeks are nice points. I found some great halves, but never found the great whole one I was looking for.
BPGris - If you like drills I'll have to post my 2001 finds before too long. Found a pretty decent drill that year.
Gator - It's amazing what you can do with to idiot buddies a lot of effort and a lot of spare time. We used to have a list of all the really dumb things we'd done looking for rocks (I once watched a guy try to back a boat on a trailer down a boat ramp BY HAND). I'll never forget that.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny about unloading the boat. Last yr I was fishing and a guy loaded his boat on his trailor and forgot to tie it down. He gunned it up the ramp and his boat which was nice flew off and landed on the cement ramp. I still wonder how he got it off from the cement. Those are some nice points you have found.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
Thats funny about unloading the boat. Last yr I was fishing and a guy loaded his boat on his trailor and forgot to tie it down. He gunned it up the ramp and his boat which was nice flew off and landed on the cement ramp. I still wonder how he got it off from the cement. Those are some nice points you have found.

Good lord! I came sooo close to doing that. It was earlier this year, and I'm experienced at boating. I was alone, trailered the boat, laid down on the bow, hooked the eye on the hull and tightened the strap. Apparently the mechanism didn't fully Engage. I never tear ass up the ramp, and always look in the rear view. I noticed my boat was sliding, so I jammed my truck in reverse, and rode her straight back into the lake. Lucky. I have forgotten to trim the motor up before, I heard a painful noise, and instantly dreaded getting out of my truck. It wasn't bad, just broke the skeg. I planed my boat out once with the trolling motor down. It was beginning to snow and I was frozen. The shaft to the trolling motor soaked me, and cost me about $700.00. I feel for the guy that lost his whole boat. It's easy to get nervous at a boat ramp, especially if the driver has little experience. My boat will fly, and you can tell. She ain't pretty!

image-1543518090.jpg

I forgot I'm not on the bbc board!! My bad! Joe, I already told you this, but you have a great collection. Give me a call any time you can break away. We will put the artifact craft in the water! I think I'll put an arrowhead sticker where the triton sticker goes. They wouldn't sponsor me, so I took their name off the hull.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, :icon_thumright: and display. :icon_thumright: Congratulations! Now you will be looking foward to getting back out there as soon as you can this comming spring.

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread