Two 1sts for Me in One! Barber/1800s silver!

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two 1sts for Me in One! Barber/1800's silver!

It's been a while since I was able to get out and do some detecting (too many kids!) so I jumped at the chance when my wife told me it was ok. I headed to a park I'd never been to but I knew had produced for a lot of avid detectorists in the past. It started out really slow a painful. We've had a dry spell for the past few weeks here so the ground I started out in was rock solid and felt like I was digging in frozen ground! To make things even worse the first few targets that I put the effort in to dig had me coming up empty handed. I don't know if they were false signals or what but after 10-15 minutes of digging in seriously hard ground (10+ inches down) in 90+ degree heat with nothing to show, I was done with a hole. After a while I made my way up a hill with some older trees and started working around them. After digging a few newer misc. trash items I was a little discouraged with the area so when I got a warbly 12-38 I was hesitant to dig it. I circled around the target a got a few higher tones and numbers with the highest being a 42-43. I thought maybe a wheat, probably a zinc. As I started to dig I got a feeling that it would be funny if this turned out to be silver. Sure enough about five inches down in a small dirt clump I saw a thin reeded edge and the color that we all love to see! I hoped for a Merc but freaked out when I saw the wreath and part of the 'ONE DIME' on the back. I couldn't wait to get home and get the dirt off it! When I got home to clean it some of the dirt had fallen off and I could make out the date, 1898. That's two first's for me; 1st barber and 1st pre-1900s coin! :headbang: Needless to say it's my best find to date and I'll be heading back out there the next chance I get! Thanks for looking and HH to all of you!

962962_10201475763205999_1786870119_n.jpg 1080925_10201475763125997_1441094150_n.jpg 1st barber!.jpg 1st barber!2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on two firsts. Nice barber! :thumbsup:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Awesome! Love those Barbers. I've only found one in a park. I'd be going back there. Those lower conductive numbers are worth digging I go as low as 31 sometimes if the situation merits it.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going I hope you find many more

Dig until your arm falls off

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great feeling huh!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool dime! My first barber dime was a black, very worn 1898 as well. Yours is way nicer!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome!, im in major need of a haircut! that barber has eluded me so far, oh but i will find him!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barbers are always a welcome coin. Congrats on breaking the 1900 barrier.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Awesome! Love those Barbers. I've only found one in a park. I'd be going back there. Those lower conductive numbers are worth digging I go as low as 31 sometimes if the situation merits it.

Thanks. Yea with the weird numbers I was getting on that barber I'm going to have to start digging more iffy signals. I hate to think what I might have already passed by!

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool dime! My first barber dime was a black, very worn 1898 as well. Yours is way nicer!

Thank you, It looked to be in finer condition under the dirt but I'm still really happy overall. I forgot to mention to my wife that you don't rub dirt off silver so when I caught her picking at it (without me knowing the date or condition) I lost my s*** for a minute and had to apologize directly after. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions