two civil war shell weekend

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hit a new spot with my son this past weekend and came out with two artillery shells, my son had to dig for his, a damaged parrott shell while mine was barely two inches in the ground! Combination percussion timed fuse Schenkel! cleaned up nicely and will be back to try and see if we can't scare up another one! Thanks for looking and happy hunting to everybody!
schenkel1.jpgschenkel2.jpgschenkel3.jpgschenkel4.jpg

Upvote 23
Very nice find sir. Congrats.

Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Congrats on a couple of very nice Civil War relics. It looks like they cleaned up nicely.

Nice finds. Just a question, could the intact one pose a danger since it was not exploded?

theoretically yes, if you mishandled it by throwing it in a fire or drilled it improperly it could explode but if handled with reasonable common sense it presents no inordinate hazard

Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Great save's there DV!!!! Will look good in anyone's display :headbang:

Congrats on the shell. Look forward to seeing it later this month

theoretically yes, if you mishandled it by throwing it in a fire or drilled it improperly it could explode but if handled with reasonable common sense it presents no inordinate hazard

is there a safe way to disarm it?

You mention throwing it in a fire, what if your house catches fire?

is there a safe way to disarm it?

You mention throwing it in a fire, what if your house catches fire?
yes, there is a safe way to disarm it. I have done so and it is now safe to handle. If the housw catches fire, it would possibly present a risk but there Is a minimal amount of black powder left in the shell and so wouldn't explode

Wow pretty cool finds awesome your Son likes this hobby also.. Well done Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back