Two halves don’t make it whole.

dsmikle

Apr 7, 2018
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these about 3 weeks apart and 120 yards from each other in a worked field.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565171760.746939.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565171782.047791.jpg

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That doesn't happen very often. I've got two pieces of a big knife that I found on separate occasions--a victim of the plow as well.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s awesome. I’ve always wanted to reunite a broken artifact, especially a fine looking beveled tip that I found last year (or maybe the year before) with its base. I was thinking that the break looks old, due to even patina on every surface, and that I’ll probably never find the base. I’ve been keeping my eye out in the same general area though. I’ve got a sweet base from a different field that I think is more likely. I can see where my disk left a little metal on the fresh break and I’m hitting that area for a few minutes every time the dirt gets moved.

120 yards apart? That’s quite a distance for a reunion. It would be a stretch for a typical farm implement to move it that far, unless they were doing some earth moving or by happenstance the base or tip was embedded in a chunk of mud or dirt that got carried 120 yards before it fell off. I just wonder if the owner broke it and removed the base from the handle while walking and tossed the base approximately 120 yards from where he broke it. Does the break look fresh or older?

Whatever. Nice work!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some farmers here sometimes use a makeshift "Drag" to smooth the surface prior to planting. I've seen them made from chain-link fence attached to railroad track to a simple gnarl of brush. However, 120 yards is quite a ways. Very fortunate to reunite those two. I agree with "Snyder's" (Hopewell).

OP
OP
D

dsmikle

Apr 7, 2018
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The break did not look real old. They way it broke makes me think disc hit it. I don’t think the break is new enough to have took place the past couple years. I was probably hung in a drag and separated. I have seen everything from logs linked by chain, chain link, web wire, and one with spikes every 3 inches used to break up soil before final planting. Then it is usually rolled to get soil to seed contact.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to work it and good eye. Really 120 yards isn't that far to be separated by farm implements. If both pieces were moved over time farther apart over several years it makes perfect sense. Some people would question Christ himself if he showed up today. Everybody has to be an expert pessemist. The evidence supports this way more than the owner "breaking" it and "throwing it away" 120 yards apart which makes no sense and no evidence supports it. Unless you have personally ran a disc or drill or drag you have no idea how far things can be picked up and carried

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to work it and good eye. Really 120 yards isn't that far to be separated by farm implements. If both pieces were moved over time farther apart over several years it makes perfect sense. Some people would question Christ himself if he showed up today. Everybody has to be an expert pessemist. The evidence supports this way more than the owner "breaking" it and "throwing it away" 120 yards apart which makes no sense and no evidence supports it. Unless you have personally ran a disc or drill or drag you have no idea how far things can be picked up and carried

Wasn't being pessimistic, nor am I an expert, but I do run farm equipment (chisels, Tillolls, discs... in combination with cultipackers, harrows, etc.) every year, so , yeah, I do know how far things can be picked up and carried. With most implements, you're not really carrying large amounts of dirt across the field, unless you're not paying attention and dragging a wad of trash behind you. You should pay attention. In my reply, which you decided to insult, I mentioned a sweet base of a point that I think I broke with my disc.

Here's a pic from several years back... Agcostar with a Tilloll. I kinda miss that truck, but I like my new Tundra too...

IMG_0714.JPG
Using the backhoe to help me lift a basket back into place after a bearing went out...
IMG_0745.JPG
Backhoe is super handy. Here I was using it to hook the harrow up behind the disc pulled by a Massey 8450.
IMG_0841.JPG

Just let me know if you want to see any photos of harvest time. Got lots of nice combine, grain cart, and semi shots too, not to mention planters, sprayer, trenchers, etc... or you can just go on with your negativity and keep assuming things about people that you don't know.

Kantuck

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Furthermore, there wasn't much evidence of anything in the OP, other than that the pieces were found 3 weeks apart, about 120 yards apart, and in a worked field. Personally, I don't find the idea of a Native American removing a broken knife base from a handle and discarding the base in close proximity to where it was broken that far-fetched. I'd be willing to bet that it happened more than once.

But anyway, here's another fun photo... Conditions were tough that year. Trying to harvest beans, spread fertilizer, and work dirt so that we could sow wheat. Zoom in and you'll see a silly amount of equipment to have in one small field at one time, but like I said, conditions were tough and we couldn't do much anywhere else.
IMG_0850.JPG

Kantuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsmikle

Apr 7, 2018
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kantuck the picture you posted above looks almost exactly like the field I found the pieces in. Only difference is size of tree standing by its self and state.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tractor show. I was just supporting the finder against what seemed like not believing what he said. Unwad your panties. No intention to start a brawl. Have a good day.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tractor show. I was just supporting the finder against what seemed like not believing what he said. Unwad your panties. No intention to start a brawl. Have a good day.

BS. Nothing in my post indicated that I didn’t believe him. I simply wondered how the two pieces got so far apart. You insinuated that I would “question Christ himself” and that I’m “an expert pessemist [sic]”. You also assumed that I knew nothing about farm equipment and found out that when you assume, you make an a$$ out of yourself. Now you’re telling me to unwad my panties while saying you’ve got no intention to start a brawl??? Piss off.

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is that when the field was crowned the dozer just pushed the material and held onto it for quite a few yards.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS. Nothing in my post indicated that I didn’t believe him. I simply wondered how the two pieces got so far apart. You insinuated that I would “question Christ himself” and that I’m “an expert pessemist [sic]”. You also assumed that I knew nothing about farm equipment and found out that when you assume, you make an a$$ out of yourself. Now you’re telling me to unwad my panties while saying you’ve got no intention to start a brawl??? Piss off.
you know what they say about opinions LoL. You're the one that derailed it. The rest of us were discussing his find. He ain't mad. He's happy with his find. Last word on it buddy. Agree to disagree and leave it at that. No disrespect intended toward you i was having a moment

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread