Two park hunts bag two gold rings

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Have not been swinging nearly as much this summer, unfortunately. My last two park hunts with the Deus have been good. The small ring was cherry-picked off the edge of a playground where sand and soil converge. The wedding band found while clearing square tabs and drink seals at a softball field about three feet behind the backstop fence. Both less than 5" deep.

1.4 grams 10k and 7.4 grams 14k.
1503761958511.jpg
1503761958112.jpg

Hope to have it all paid off in PM finds by the end of the year (2 years total). When not counting accessories I rarely and never use, it is now paid for itself though, so happy about that.
Good hunting to you.:occasion14:

mijagi

Aug 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Can you share the TID numbers and settings? Thanks

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice gold ring finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Too bad about the missing stone.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy day!! Hate to break it to you, though... that men's band with the 14K FG is Filled Gold. Still, it must have been very exciting to dig not one, but two!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool ring finds, congrats

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy day!! Hate to break it to you, though... that men's band with the 14K FG is Filled Gold. Still, it must have been very exciting to dig not one, but two!

I dunno if it is......Google meaning of FG on a ring and you get quite a few different opinions. From legit gold to flake gold to designers initials and more.

No matter what, popping 2 rings is a great day.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno if it is......Google meaning of GF on a ring and you get quite a few different opinions. From legit gold to flake gold to designers initials and more.

No matter what, popping 2 rings is a great day.

I agree with you. "GF" after the Karat marking is standard for gold filled. See this website for more info on jewelry markings. https://www.cascaderefining.com/real-or-fake. But FG ??? Who knows. I know there is a Frederick Goldman designer marking but it does not look like what's in the picture. Could be anything at this point. I would not rule gold filled in or out, but I am leaning toward not gold filled at this point because it is not a standard stamp. Would like someone to solve the mystery.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! Can you share the TID numbers and settings? Thanks

Small 10k ring = 50
Large 14k ring = 80/81 (mostly 80)

Version 4.0 11" coil

Disc 0/full tones
Sens 92/ TX power 1
Frequency 17.6
Reactivity 2, 2.5, 3/ Silencer -1
Audio Resp 5
Notch 00-00
GB = Tracking / no ground notch

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone.

As to the makers marking I don't know who made it, but I know, from the approximately 40 various registrations by them that it's not a registered Frederick Goldman mark. GF is the proper designation for gold filled, never is it called "filled gold", nor would it be marked FG for gold filled pieces. I suppose I can cut it open to take a look but not until I've had a few people check it first. Until then my take is it's a mark from an obscure designer/maker that may provide retail outlets such as Zales, K's Merchandise, or a perhaps a regional/local mom and pop store, etc.

I'll have my wife take it to Anglo for their opinion when she takes her rings to be cleaned. Otherwise I'll know before the year is done because I'll scrap it.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. Too bad about the missing stone.

I sifted a bit of sand looking for the stone but it was coarse sand about the same size as the stone would have been... what a waste of time this is, I thought. :BangHead:

Probably hit with a lawn aerator spike and the stone became dislodged. :dontknow:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone.

As to the makers marking I don't know who made it, but I know, from the approximately 40 various registrations by them that it's not a registered Frederick Goldman mark. GF is the proper designation for gold filled, never is it called "filled gold", nor would it be marked FG for gold filled pieces. I suppose I can cut it open to take a look but not until I've had a few people check it first. Until then my take is it's a mark from an obscure designer/maker that may provide retail outlets such as Zales, K's Merchandise, or a perhaps a regional/local mom and pop store, etc.

I'll have my wife take it to Anglo for their opinion when she takes her rings to be cleaned. Otherwise I'll know before the year is done because I'll scrap it.
Yes, I beg your pardon. GF is what I was thinking of. I then Googled FG and the first hit that came up said "Gold Filled", and I didn't look any further. The first gold-looking ring that I found said "GF", and a jeweler told me what that meant, which is why I was suspicious.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not been swinging nearly as much this summer, unfortunately. My last two park hunts with the Deus have been good. The small ring was cherry-picked off the edge of a playground where sand and soil converge. The wedding band found while clearing square tabs and drink seals at a softball field about three feet behind the backstop fence. Both less than 5" deep.

1.4 grams 10k and 7.4 grams 14k.
View attachment 1487260
View attachment 1487261

Hope to have it all paid off in PM finds by the end of the year (2 years total). When not counting accessories I rarely and never use, it is now paid for itself though, so happy about that.
Good hunting to you.:occasion14:

Congratulations on the finds, just got my Deus last week. Hot machine for sure..
looking at these rings though I'm not sure if the are gold no mater they are marked... the one missing the stone looks to be plated, the wedding band looks much better, but I don't know what FG is. I dug a ring in Colombia 🇨🇴 marked 18k but looking at it here and testing it against known gold rings tells me it's probably not... but rings of any kind are fun to dig..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread