Two ringer makes silver slump bearable

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't remember the last time I found two rings in one day...and I know it would have been at the beach. This one flipped out of the hole and I initially thought it was a pull tab.
060615PlatedRingB.jpg
But saw the back of it and thought gold! (I know, the picture doesn't quite capture the luster).
060615PlatedRingF.jpg
But then I turned it over and realized plated!:BangHead:
Two hours and twenty miles later I pull this out of a hole...
060615RingBand.jpg
And I'm thinking gold! But where is the rest of it? Re-checked the hole, and sure enough pulled out another portion.
060615RingF.jpg
Beautiful, dainty cameo ring. Looks to be the color of Black Hills Gold, but a couple of stained areas make me question whether it's truly gold. No makers mark and the purity mark indicates 14 with an arrow. Not sure this if this is an old mark for 14K or an indication that it is plated. Please chime in if you know.
060615Purity mark.jpg
The stained areas tend to be right where the ring is separated. The ring is not at all mangled. It appears it either fell apart or was cut apart. The stained areas make me wonder if the ring was sized and joined in these two spots using a solder that eventually failed. I'm not a jeweler so I can only guess. I would guess by design that both rings are fairly old.
060615VNF.jpg 060615VNB.jpg
060615IHPF.jpg 060615IHPB.jpg
060615Finds.jpg

Today's digs...

1908 V-Nickel
1898 IHP
(2) Wheatbacks 1956-D, 1956-D
14K Gold (?) Cameo Ring
Gold Plated Signet Ring

PBS

Upvote 3

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, congrats on those keepers:thumbsup: The V Nickle still eludes my coil...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are correct about a low quality solder being used to attempt a sizing repair - Nice find .

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About needing to find another sweet spot!!! very nice sir!

The plated ring was found at the "dud" site you checked out last week. The other finds were at the site I have been hitting over the last month...and previously little to show. Sometimes tenacity will get you an item or two.

Wanted to go over it with the E-Trac cause it's infested with iron but the machine told me it had a flat battery again. I'm about ready to throw that E-Trac in the river. It will kill new batteries within a month just sitting in the corner turned off. I will have to get it looked at. Will just try to remember to take the battery pack out after each hunt.

Will get fresh batteries and comb back through the site tomorrow. You're welcome to join me.

PBS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions