Two, two, two trips in one! Folly wont get me again...

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two, two, two trips in one! Folly won't get me again...

Sorry good people of South Carolina, and especially Charleston area that I dearly love. You can keep Folly Beach. I ain't impressed, and I can't believe I spent $1500 to find that out. We stayed at the biggest, easiest to find hotel at Folly Beach (which is really a very nice hotel, I don't have any problem with the hotel, and it was worth the $1500 we spent. My problem was with Folly Beach itself. Folly beach is like the worst part of Myrtle Beach squeezed into something the size of a Walmart parking lot. It was drunk city. We went in an ABC store to pick up a small bottle of rum to make some daiquiris, and even the guy running the ABC store was drunk.
I did however meet some great folks MDing on the beach, one of which was Carl Dickey. He was an ex-Navy man that had grown up down there and knew where all the hot spots for mding were and didn't mind sharing them. He told me that Folly had sort of gone to the dogs over the years and was a mere shadow of it's old self. You could tell that it once was a nice place. I guess the people there have to make living and bars are the way to do that at the beach.
I would highly recommend Folly Beach as a college Spring Break destination. There are plenty of bars and I didn't see anyone getting hassled for being drunk in public. And you can drink on the beach down there as long as you keep it in a plastic cup.
Not a good family beach though.

But I'm still standing by my nearby Charleston, S.C.. I love the place and wouldn't mind living there. It is a good representation of what the South is. Eat at Jestine's Kitchen at Meeting and Wentworth. Really good southern cooking. The kind I grew up eating.

Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread