Two very good days....

tmdavis3

Feb 24, 2009
I haven't been able to go detecting much lately due to work. But the lovely weather today and yesterday was too much to resist, so I pulled out the metal detector and headed to a friend's house. I have previously had luck here, finding my only silver dime to date, as well as Wheaties and other neat stuff.

Day One had me working the coil a little, but mostly visiting. I found two Wheaties in the front yard, barely an inch deep right off the bat. While I went in to show em off, my friend's ten-year-old son asked if he could try his luck. He found two Wheaties himself, and a recent penny. I went out and gave him some pointers, but by then it was too dark to see. All in all a very good day, and I got a kid hooked on the hobby! :thumbsup:

Day Two, my sidekick was off visiting relatives, so I was on my own. I chose a corner of the yard I had not hit before, and started slowly sweeping it in rows. My first holes had junk. Then, I found a large metal something. Then, a couple Wheaties from the next couple. Dug a really big hole looking for a tiny blip of a signal to catch a glimpse of pink, finally. A child's locket! The next hole startled me when I saw silver.... YEAH, BABY! A 1936 Quarter, very pretty gleaming in the dirt!! After that, I admit I was in a bit of a hurry to finish the area. I found another Wheatie and some more trash. Dug one big hole that I never found whatever was causing the solid 50 cent signal, 8+ inches deep. :icon_scratch: Hate those empty holes....

All in all, a very sweet two days.

I'll try to post pics later, when I get them home and cleaned up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tmdavis3

Feb 24, 2009
I don't have a handheld pinpointer yet, and since it was getting very dark and I was being feasted upon by mosquitos, I covered the hole with plans to recheck it next time. I ended up with a hole about a foot deep and in diameter in the edge of a very old and overgrown flowerbed. I was still hitting signals on two sides of the hole at the edge. Ah well.... leaves me a good starting point for the next dig. Still, I hate not finding whatever it was this time!

Forgot to add in my first post, I also found a buckle and button and a couple other cool trinkets. Gotta get home and get pics....

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
I hate the ghost hits! nice finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread