TWOdays finds

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
I didn't get to do much relic hunting in February, not until the end of the month. So.....I am going to add the past two days hunts to my upcoming MARCH totals. Some of the items were found around the 1780's housesite, and the rest were found at two different field locations today.

Today I went back to the area where I cleaned up in January using my XLT first and then my DFX. Today I went with my new "Super 12" coil from whites. I must say I haven't been impressed......yet. The thing is a lot heavier than the stock coil, it will really give you a workout for several hours of swinging. As far as finding more "treasure", I did find 2 bullets and the New York cuff button in the same area as I previously hunted but I certainly don't think it was because of the bigger coil. I have been digging almost every signal because we haven't found any "modern" trash. Any signal will either be a good target or an old nail or other rusted iron from the camp. Most targets are 6-7" deep. It is also a lot harder to pinpoint with the bigger coil. I will use it a couple more times to see if it improves for me before I make a final decision.

Items from the old housesite include: The "horse" broach thingie, the old suspender buckle, a 1918S penny, a thimble, an eagle button, part of a "butter" knife - says "C.C. & co." on it, a 1903 "V" nickle, and the bullet on the very top left.

One of my favorite items from the campsite today was the 1862 Indian Head penny. There were also a couple of flat buttons, an old key, a New York cuff button, all of the bullets except top left one, Part of an old watch???, and possibly a canteen spout.

There are a few mystery items in the picture, please feel free to take a guess at what they might be.

My Brother also found some VERY interesting items from the campsite today, I am waiting for pictures of his stuff to post.

ENJOY!!! ;D

Attachments

• P1010059a.JPG
    P1010059a.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 698
  • P1010065a.JPG
    P1010065a.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 700
  • P1010064a.JPG
    P1010064a.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 702
  • P1010067a.JPG
    P1010067a.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 703
  • P1010081a.JPG
    P1010081a.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 715
Upvote 0

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Nice finds! The horse would go great on e-bay for horse lovers.
RD :)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow DC :o :o :o very nice relics. That horse broach is a cool find.
Congrats on all those bullets and the 1862 IH. That's an old IH for sure!
Great job,
MM

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
MM,
The IH's started in 1859.
I found this one in the camp area so I am quite certain a poor soldier lost it, makes it even more special.

coinsearcher

Feb 27, 2008
Central, CA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro W/ SunRay probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey that horse pin thingy looks like a polo broach or something. Look real close, and you will see that it resembles a golf club. Look left to right or right to left. And the two circles that start the formation of an arrow pointing down could be what is called a bit. It is for riding horses, it goes in the horses mouth and is used for steering a horse.

brnhn4

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice haul dcooper1.....Is the item next to the left of the canteen spout a clip or is it one piece,can't tell from the pic.Button look's to be in real good shape.Nice Job....keep em coming

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
civilman1 said:
Very nice haul dcooper1.....Is the item next to the left of the canteen spout a clip or is it one piece,can't tell from the pic.Button look's to be in real good shape.Nice Job....keep em coming

Civilman1,
Nice call on the clip, I hadn't really looked at it that close to see if it opened. I does!! Therefore, I'm guessing it's not really that old and will be promptly moved to the "bucket" of not-so-old/junk items... ;D

Attachments

• P1010096a.JPG
    P1010096a.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 513

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't throw that back in the bucket too quick...It might be a different make/model but it look's like it's missing the "spring".......Ya never Know :) Again Congrat's on the find's and HH!!

Attachments

• P3010002.JPG
    P3010002.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 449
OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
civilman1 said:
I wouldn't throw that back in the bucket too quick...It might be a different make/model but it look's like it's missing the "spring".......Ya never Know :) Again Congrat's on the find's and HH!!

Good Job,
I was flipping thru "the Bible" while eating dinner and came across the same exact one you posted. I'm quite certain that is it.
A sword sling hook, the spring side opened to take the scabbard ring.
Thanks for the help. Guess I will have to hit that area some more. It is on the next hill/ridge/mountain from where we dug all of the camp items.

dorkyguy

Feb 20, 2008
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Dorky guy sez:
Nice finds coop!
wow, looks like that is a balance wheel plate from an old platform movement pocketwatch (CW timeframe).
Nice stuff!
DG

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
Hey great finds and thanks for the info on the 12" coil from whites was thinking about getting one,now i will wait.Bunch of good looking finds though,ground is so wet here you can't hardly walk without sinking 3/4-1" deep in mud,but it's drying out so i'll finally get out there.....hh rh

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brnhn4 said:
hey that horse pin thingy looks like a polo broach or something. Look real close, and you will see that it resembles a golf club. Look left to right or right to left. And the two circles that start the formation of an arrow pointing down could be what is called a bit. It is for riding horses, it goes in the horses mouth and is used for steering a horse.

brnhn4

I was thinking polo too when I first saw it. That's a beautiful piece! You two are posting some fantastic finds!

Many congrats and keep 'em coming!! Nana :)

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
I was able to identify another item in this days finds. What I originally thought was a scabbard tip is actually a BURNSIDE CARTRIDGE. It too was identified by using "the bible" - Crouchs, Artifacts of the Civil War book.

Attachments

• Burnside Cartridge.JPG
    Burnside Cartridge.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 212
OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
relikhunter said:
Hey great finds and thanks for the info on the 12" coil from whites was thinking about getting one,now i will wait.

Relikhunter,
As of right now I would carefully consider before getting a 12" coil. I did not notice any increased finds that I could contribute to the head. I could however contribute my extremely sore arm to the much heavier coil. Granted, I use the EXTRA TALL rod on my machine which of course makes it seem heavier than it actually is but I also use the same rod for the stock coil. After swinging the thing for 7+ hours on Friday, I could hardly hunt on Saturday, it's a good thing we wern't planning on staying out all day!!!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! The horse pin looks like a Polo pin, also looks silver, any markings on it? HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread